Is Britain still great?

NurembergVillan

Let's face it, everybody wants to celebrate St Patricks day. We don't need to brainwash anyone. We let the Guinness do that :D

We do (or at least did) deserve our reputation as welcoming and hospitible people. New Zealanders are great for that too.

But all peoples pale in comparison to the genuine friendly and always hosiptible Colombians. Make us Irish look like Pariseans by comparison!!

I took my son to Dublin the other week (he's 9) and he's already counting the days until he can go to Trinity College and spend his nights down Temple bar

we got a free soda in Subway and a free breakfast in the cafe we went to and a free newspaper  from some bloke on the street ..he thinks Ireland is the land of giveaways :)

I've always found the english people very friendly and welcoming. .

you clearly don't read this web site enough :P

Tony don't let him go out in Temple Bar!! Over priced tourist trap designed for extricating money from Americans.

Head up Camden St or Harcourt St or around Grafton St. Those the spots in Dublin to go.

Or for the best Guinness either Bowes or Molloys. Tricky to find those two are.

Where have you drank Guinness? If the answer as I suspect is outside of approx the specific 5% of the bars in Ireland that sell good Guinness then I'd agree. I have not been able to drink more than a mouthful of the stuff anywhere outside of Ireland.

But in the right place, say Bowes of Fleet st Dublin, nothing comes even remotely close to Guinness.

Where have you drank Guinness? If the answer as I suspect is outside of approx the specific 5% of the bars in Ireland that sell good Guinness then I'd agree. I have not been able to drink more than a mouthful of the stuff anywhere outside of Ireland.

But in the right place, say Bowes of Fleet st Dublin, nothing comes even remotely close to Guinness.

Why is 95% of Guinness sold not good then? 

Guinness doesn't store well, the quicker it gets from brewery to your mouth the creamier and tastier it is. The longer it sits in a keg it developes the horrid metalic aftertaste.

So it's almost a chicken and egg scenario. People who love Guinness go to bars that sell good Guinness, people from Dublin will know the bars known for great Guinness. These bars sell so much Guinness they get fresh kegs often and so continue to have good Guinness.

I know Bowes get fresh kegs for Thursdays as manager has told me this. It's wall to wall Thu/Fri post work pints.

And that's why only certain bars sell good Guinness and why they have decided to brew it outside of Ireland and Nigeria now. Less travel time and potentially better product as a result. It still sits in kegs for weeks though as the demand isn't there.

Tony don't let him go out in Temple Bar!! Over priced tourist trap designed for extricating money from Americans.

Head up Camden St or Harcourt St or around Grafton St. Those the spots in Dublin to go.

Slapper Face Jacks on Grafton Street.  B)  :cheers:

I'll give you the list of good Guinness bars. Most Dubs know them, Keoghes, Mullingans, Cassidys, Bowes, Mary Macs etc..

Coppers is on Harcourt St :rolleyes:

I'll give you the list of good Guinness bars. Most Dubs know them, Keoghes, Mullingans, Cassidys, Bowes, Mary Macs etc..

Coppers is on Harcourt St :rolleyes:

Apologies, wrong side of St Stephen's Green.   But still, there.

Guinness doesn't store well, the quicker it gets from brewery to your mouth the creamier and tastier it is. The longer it sits in a keg it developes the horrid metalic aftertaste.

So it's almost a chicken and egg scenario. People who love Guinness go to bars that sell good Guinness, people from Dublin will know the bars known for great Guinness. These bars sell so much Guinness they get fresh kegs often and so continue to have good Guinness.

I know Bowes get fresh kegs for Thursdays as manager has told me this. It's wall to wall Thu/Fri post work pints.

And that's why only certain bars sell good Guinness and why they have decided to brew it outside of Ireland and Nigeria now. Less travel time and potentially better product as a result. It still sits in kegs for weeks though as the demand isn't there.

Having drank gallons of Guinness in my time, I've never made it over the water to it's spiritual home (despite my brother being engaged and having a kid with a Dublin lass). Reading this, I'm seriously tempted to book a ticket on the next flight over! 

He's 9 ffs

come back with your recommendations in 6 or 7 years   :)

3 years. You're talking about Ireland  :D

Oh yes. I was sent to the bar aged 6 to get a round for my dad and uncles. And they served me. Rural Galway. :)

He's 9 ffs

come back with your recommendations in 6 or 7 years   :)

3 years. You're talking about Ireland  :D

Oh yes. I was sent to the bar aged 6 to get a round for my dad and uncles. And they served me. Rural Galway. :)

Did you drive them home afterwards as well?

Only had a quick look through the replies so apologies if i'm repeating stuff...

Is Britain great?

Generally, yes! I think the people born here are extremely lucky to be have been born on one of the most advanced, forward thinking, inclusive, racially tolerant and safe societies in the World. Yes, there are things that are not perfect but in general we do ok. 

We don't suffer civil wars, famines, plagues or tyrannical regimes that perform ethnic cleansing on it's population. We live in a country where you are pretty much allowed to get on with your life without any interruption. Our passport allows us entry to over 170 counties worldwide (one of the best passports to have) and our streets are, on average, very safe. There is crime but the vast majority will go through their life without facing a serious crime, 

On a side note, In my experience, the people who complain about the country going to the dogs etc are the people who have hardly been out the UK and seen the rest of the World, You do need to see how others live in order to put your own existence into context. 

• Like 4

Â