Is Britain still great?

NurembergVillan

Britain itself is a good country, but the people on the whole are not as friendly as other countries in my opinion.

depends where you go tbf .. Up North they are a bit set in their ways and the jukebox will turn off and silence greets any stranger walking in a pub but down in the friendly South you'll get a better reception

You're joking right? From my experience people in the Midlands and the North are a lot more friendlier than people from the South. In particular London.

awil-pic-3.jpg

• Like 1

this thread has already got me judging people quite harshly, its akin to I'm not racist but....

Its like that thing last night on BBC, where people with foreign names couldn't be british. So what if whites are outnumbered, it doesnt matter does it? Why would it matter.

I repeat, why would it matter?

Edited by Seat68

I don't see a problem with racism because one thing which is great about the British is that we generally believe what we are told to believe.

When we needed to believe in the inferiority of foreigners to justify the Empire, we believed just that.

When we needed to hate the French to save the king, we hated the French.

When the Germans became our rivals we were told to love the French and hate the Germans, and we did that too.

We are above all flexible and obedient.

Now that globalisation and free-market capitalism dictates that capital must move towards the cheap labour or cheap labour moved to where the capital is, we are are told to be tolerant and believe in the values of multiculturalism, and the vast majority do exactly that.

Believing the prevailing ideology is what we are good at and it is what makes us great.

• Like 2

Britain itself is a good country, but the people on the whole are not as friendly as other countries in my opinion.

I'd agree with that. I think in large parts of Europe they have that cafe culture where they all pop along and can sit outside with their mates, have a casual beer or coffee because the weather is generally decent, just generally get along. Over here we sort of have to make the best of what we've got when we can, and too many end up bingeing and turn out to be utter cocks. Of course it's hard not to make sweeping generalisations when it comes to topics like this though.

One thing I've noticed is on game shows just how little general knowledge the kids just out of education/uni have. They can just google rather than having to learn facts at school. I have this argument with my brother who is a history teacher and he says there's no need to actually teach them events or dates in our history any more. It's all just analysis and repeated essay writing. I don't know why anyone would be a history teacher and not want to share all of what's happened to make Britain and the rest of the world what it is.

So what you mean is that they can google things, but they choose not to, and that results in them having little general knowledge, right?

this thread has already got me judging people quite harshly, its akin to I'm not racist but....

Its like that thing last night on BBC, where people with foreign names couldn't be british. So what if whites are outnumbered, it doesnt matter does it? Why would it matter.

There was a funny little programme on recently with two presenters from the Apprentice.

They had a 'white english' young bloke bemoaning the fact that a Polish bloke had come over and set up his own business, got busy and then employed more Polish people.

His attitude wasn't 'hey why don't I copy that idea and set up my own decorating company too'.

It was, 'that's not fair he should give the jobs to people wot can talk British like'.

Clearly this was funny and insightful in its own way. But what I wondered was how much filming they'd had to do to capture that soundbite that they'd clearly been after all along. 

There was a funny little programme on recently with two presenters from the Apprentice.

They had a 'white english' young bloke bemoaning the fact that a Polish bloke had come over and set up his own business, got busy and then employed more Polish people.

His attitude wasn't 'hey why don't I copy that idea and set up my own decorating company too'.

It was, 'that's not fair he should give the jobs to people wot can talk British like'.

Clearly this was funny and insightful in its own way. But what I wondered was how much filming they'd had to do to capture that soundbite that they'd clearly been after all along. 

judging from my friends who work in such professions and even anecdotes from VT over the years  , one problem could be that the British guy would have to hire proper equipment , pay his staff at least minimum wage , holiday pay and pensions ,vat and so on  where as the Polish guy works for cash and doesn't exist in the system

don't get me wrong I love the work ethic and entrepreneurship some of these Poles (etc) bring , but they aren't always competing on a level playing field  .. so it's a tad harsh to suggest that every British person is a lazy moaning good for nothing

yup, agree entirely

the Polish guy actually said at one point that once the business was well established he was able to pay people minimum wage

if he'd been 'british' he'd have had a film crew from Watchdog jumping out the bushes as he arrived 

it's all about media agendas

so choose your media carefully and then distrust it

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

So would it not bother you to go india and see Indian's outnumbered or go to Jamaica and see black people outnumbered? Not that would ever happen of course.

I work in quite an international organisation and we have alot of visitors from people within the same company from places like china, estonia, hungary, brazil, etc. Every single one of them, no exaggeration, has commented on being shocked by the amount of foreign people in Birmingham. I admitely tell them to hush so not to get into trouble. They cant get their heads round this issue being such a 'taboo' to being openly discussed in public especially an office environment.

So would it not bother you to go india and see Indian's outnumbered or go to Jamaica and see black people outnumbered? Not that would ever happen of course.

I work in quite an international organisation and we have alot of visitors from people within the same company from places like china, estonia, hungary, brazil, etc. Every single one of them, no exaggeration, has commented on being shocked by the amount of foreign people in Birmingham. I admitely tell them to hush so not to get into trouble. They cant get their heads round this issue being such a 'taboo' to being openly discussed in public especially an office environment.

Out of interest in terms of colour what is the colour of a Brazilian?

• Like 2

with regards to your question. No.

White people being outnumbered in 'their' country? What?

Is that because theearlier people that emigrated here from Germany, Italy etc (yes foreigners) were white, so the 50th generation people descended from them are more British than the 3rd generation person descended from a Jamaican?

• Like 3

Social media has many positives but has also caused many issues amongst the youth of our nation.  There is no middle ground any more.  No average.  Everything is extreme - amazing or shit - or it gets filtered out.  If you want likes or comments you can't just be average. 

I would be stunned, repeat, stunned if that were a phenomenon unique to the UK.  You have basically just described human nature.  Maybe it's took until you turned 30 to realise the world is full of bullshit but how many 30 year olds thought the world was going to hell in handbasket when you were 18?  How many 30 year olds thought the same when they were 18?   This whole is Britain still great thing is bollocks. It's the same as it ever was. Thinking we have left some golden era behind is nostalgia for something that never happened. It can be dangerous too because it's the kind of emotion that groups like the EDL try to tap into. 

You're both right, and wrong in parts.  Of course social media is the same in lots and lots of countries.  There can't be many nations on earth where kids aren't glued to their mobile phones, just like our grand parents complained that we were glued to our TVs instead of scrumping apples or whatever they did in the black and white era.

Some things though, have definitely got worse, and are undeniably worse in Britain than elsewhere.  Binge drinking for example.  People have always gone out drinking of course, but NV is right when he says that things are far worse now than they've ever been.  I've lived and worked in a lot of the UK over the last 20 odd years, including the South East, Midlands and North West, and the explosion in binge drinking and going out has been extraordinary.

I have to say though, that there isn't another country on earth that's as hung up about these sorts of things as us Brits.  If there was a World Cup of introspective navel-gazing, we'd win hands down every year.

White people being outnumbered in 'their' country? What?

Is that because theearlier people that emigrated here from Germany, Italy etc (yes foreigners) were white, so the 50th generation people descended from them are more British than the 3rd generation person descended from a Jamaican?

Interestingly I learnt that the Iranians came from Siberia so obviously the darker skin tone evolved over time so with the usual amounts of rain and cloud we get in the UK Johnny Patel will eventually turn white and the EDL etc won't have a problem

Isn't the problem with multiculturism the fact that eventually the whole world becomes one culture, then the good things that make people different become lost.

Hasn't it failed by and large... the original post talked about places like Bradford where whole communities have taken hold , doesn't that suggest that those communities don't want to assimilate with the natives ?

To a degree that's always been the case with expat type communities and not just in this country

Â