Joe Cole

TrentVilla

As signing (if it happens) very much in the mould I was expecting.

I think we're in a reversal of our previous situation, where the on-going concern (i.e. wages) are soon to be someone else's problem, but the 'upfront'* transfer fees are still very much Lerner's problem and, as thus, will not be sanctioned.

*I know transfers are not often paid in one go, but you get the point.

Yep, that is exactly what I thought a few weeks ago. Lerner surely expects he won't be here for much longer, meaning whatever free transfers Lambert wants he can pretty much have to a certain degree.

He won't pay any transfer fees though, of course not and to a degree you can kinda see why. However, if he doesn't get a buyer and we go down, he'll be screwed.

Big risk for him to be honest, he must be confident of a sale.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a LB and CM of similar ilk drafted in too.

Whatever way you look at it, with Hutton, Bent, CNZ, Kozak and Okore (like new signings cliche), Senderos and possibly Cole coming in, our squad is certainly more experienced than last season. 

If it's true I'm impressed. Signed 2 players who are upgrades on what we have and spent nothing.

My only worry is what formation he is going to play.

We need singers to get the best out of kozak and benteke

3-5-2/5-3-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 (Diamond).

Don't forget that Benteke will be out probably until the end of this year and Bent has also been brought back into the scenario. Helenius will probably go out on loan too.

Edited by samjp26

If it's true I'm impressed. Signed 2 players who are upgrades on what we have and spent nothing.

What kind of songs??

• Like 3

Wingers? Don't be silly. Lambert going 3 at the back. Lowton and Bennett will be the power house going forward....

I don't get why some people are so gullible. There's a rumor, probably started on some bullshit twitter feed and a few pick it up and pass it on, next thing you know it's gospel truth and it's completely made up crap. All we know for sure is that the club official site says nothing at all about Joe Cole (or any other new signing after Sendross) the rest is just baseless hope. Unless Kwan confirms it of course..... oh, wait, sorry, thought I was in the takeover thread! ;) maybe

Trent mentioned in the speculation thread that our 2nd signing of summer should be this week. So I'm fairly confident Cole or Bendtner (the most recent, and least far-fetched rumours) will sign this week.

Don't forget Paul Mcgrath was to old and Injury prone. But Graham sussed how to deploy him - ie he played but didn't train (did Gym Work instead) - If we can come up with a routing that suits him - i duuno bring him on after 75 - it could be very good move....

As a club though we are in dire straights... I expect nothing from next season.....will be some achievement if we stay up, given the old cliche....the premier league is all about money....

Not sure the U-turn is Lambert generated.

It would seem that wages are less of a problem as things stand, presumably as they'll be someone else's problem soon. If the new owner is unable to accommodate these wages without concern, then they're no upgrade on Lerner.

I can't see Lerner allowing much (or anything) in terms of transfer fees however.

We also have to factor in the amount of pull we have as a club in transition. I saw someone on Twitter saying we could've gone for Tom Ince instead, but why would he come to a club in transition anyway?

Anyway, I'm sure this is less of a 'philosophy' and more of a case of needs must.

With margins so tight at the bottom of the table, if he help us gain an extra  two or three wins next season that would've been enough to see us around 10th - 12th, so money well spent.

• Like 2

Good player but terrible injury record and even a hefty pay cut is probably high wages. Worried this could be jenas esque, could be a master stroke though, we'll have to wait and see

Well, as long as he gives his all then i'll support him, but.... i reckon he will get injured in the first 20minutes of playing. 

I'd just play him in home games where we struggle to break teams down. 

As I've said in the speculation thread. Like Holt, if he can chip in with 10-20 appearances, get a few assists/goals and be an experienced head on the pitch and the training ground, then he will have done his job. We're obviously not in a position to get the Holtbys/Lescotts/Remys of this world, at the moment.

• Like 2

Very happy with this in light of our current situation. Experienced and still has the ability. I'd be happy with 4/5 signings of the same ilk to be honest and add these to the players returning from injury and from the 'bomb squad' and our squad is half decent and has enough depth. 

Â