Joe Cole

TrentVilla

Whether you rate him or not, he certainly would not have been short of offers (and could easily have waited for further offers), so there is definitely something that's drawn him to the club and made him sign now, rather than drawing it out over the summer. Not sure what that is, but it gives me a bit of encouragement. 

Its the manager, he alludes to it in the article some won't want to hear it but it seems to be the case.

Just as it was Lambert who talked Benteke into staying, I'm not saying he is faultless but he isn't the mumbling fool some would have people believe.

Mind you, it's fairly standard for players to say they are looking forward to working with the manager once they've signed for a club.

You would, wouldn't you?  ;)

Of course, but I doubt that Joe Cole needed to sign for Villa. He wanted to sign for us, further demonstrated by nailing his colours to our mast early in the window.

He could easily have waited to assess all his offers, but he signed and committed now. 

Edited by StanBalaban

Just seen JC's interview with Captain Jack. Always like hearing players talk us up (I know they have to but its still nice) and say how big a club we are, how great our support is etc. As one or two have mentioned on here, if played right and he can stay fit then JC could be of good use to us...a player who can unlock doors and hopefully work well with our youngsters. Could especially be of use at home when we're trying to break teams down.

Mind you, it's fairly standard for players to say they are looking forward to working with the manager once they've signed for a club.

Yes but on this occasion its got some truth to it which is why he has turned down the chance of earning more elsewhere.

I once explained to him the difference between paprika and smoked paprika in Waitrose.

Just saying really…

Never really seen what the fuss was about with him as a player though always thought he was a bit meh! even when he was meant to be good.

Bit of a shit pointless waste of time imo but I hope I'm wrong

• Like 1

You would, wouldn't you? ;)

Yes but on this occasion its got some truth to it which is why he has turned down the chance of earning more elsewhere.

Has he? Like where?

Has he? Like where?

MLS et al.

Has he? Like where?
MLS et al.
That could be more to do with not having to move abroad again. I'd be very suprised if he turned down another Premier League club to join us. Edited by Amo69

I am not sure what to make of this signing. The guy clearly has talent and the experience/nous we have been crying out for. However he hasn't performed consistently for the best part of 5 years.

I have to be honest when my mind drifted off to thinking who we could be bringing in this summer in the experienced mold I was thinking more Lescott and Barry than Senderos and Cole.

I hope Joe can have a bit of an Indian summer, stay injury free and recapture some of his past form.

Odd one. Not sure he's still got it in him to be honest.

Cracking player in his day and Jose turned him into a proper team player, but he's fallen pretty hard and fast since then.

If he's got the hunger and can stay fit, then maybe he could surprise. I hope so because he's definitely the type of player we have been in dire need of.

Jose ruined Joe Cole. Some players you have to allow a bit of freedom.

I see what you mean, but for me he was in danger of becoming a luxury player, who only turned it on in patches.

Jose may have taken some of the flair away, but he scored more goals, got more assists , played more games and became an integral part of that side under his management. I think it also helped his international career.

Had he not adapted to jose's style, I think he would have ended up being like Taarabt - amazingly talented and showed it. Once every 10-15 games.

Enigmatic number 10's are wonderful to watch on their day, but I'm not convinced we are strong enough, or cole has enough left in the tank to build a side around him. Which is what I think you have to do to get the best form a player like him in that role.

Could be a useful squad player though if he can stay fit.

Whether you rate him or not, he certainly would not have been short of offers (and could easily have waited for further offers), so there is definitely something that's drawn him to the club and made him sign now, rather than drawing it out over the summer. Not sure what that is, but it gives me a bit of encouragement. 

Its the manager, he alludes to it in the article some won't want to hear it but it seems to be the case.

Just as it was Lambert who talked Benteke into staying, I'm not saying he is faultless but he isn't the mumbling fool some would have people believe.

Cole appears to be very enthusiastic though which i find encouraging. He genuinely appears to be chuffed he's joined us.

Yeah, he must know that he's got a starting position on lock as long as he's healthy. He just wants to play, which a refreshing thing to hear nowadays. James Milner was content to waste away on the bench during the prime of his career, all for the money.

Yesterday I was feeling a little bit "meh" about this signing, but after having a little time to think about it and having read his comments, I'm happy with it. It's a position that's needed filling for a while, we can all agree on that. He could be that calm head in midfield who helps steady players like Delph and Westwood. And I believe he'll have something to teach players like Grealish, Gardner and Carruthers.

What's impressed me most is that he's turned down more lucrative offers and taken a big wage hit to come here. He's not after a big pay day in a retirement league. He wants to compete. I like this attitude.

His injury record is a concern. I don't expect him to play the full 90 every game of the season, but if we use him sparingly and take good care of him in training, he can really make a difference in games where we struggle for that bit of creativity.

And he already looks good in claret and blue! Bonus point for that.

Welcome, Joe!  UTV

I am not sure what to make of this signing. The guy clearly has talent and the experience/nous we have been crying out for. However he hasn't performed consistently for the best part of 5 years.

I have to be honest when my mind drifted off to thinking who we could be bringing in this summer in the experienced mold I was thinking more Lescott and Barry than Senderos and Cole.

I hope Joe can have a bit of an Indian summer, stay injury free and recapture some of his past form.

Don't know how many times i have to say this but i don't understand why anyone thinks we could sign these two. it keeps cropping up in peoples teams for next season or lists of players who we should sign. They have better offers, we couldn't sign them if we tried.

We really need to forget about them and Milner coming back because it's not going to happen any time soon.

Â