Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Strange appointment but now he is one of us so welcome Roy. Pat Murphy says "Lambert needs a strong assistant to sort out several high-earning, under-achieving Villa players. Keane is ideal for that."- I don't think we have any high earners left and they are not under-achieving, they are just shit.

• Like 2

Not sure about this appointment. Some performances would indicate that our players certainly need someone to give them a kick up the ass, but Keane has a habit of taking things too far. Best of luck to him anyway, hope it works out for us, and at least he will add some much needed interest to what promises to be a very boring, uninspiring summer and new season. 

Pat murphy seems to enjoy having a pop at villa whenever he can, since his mate o'neil walked out on us.

not sure how much he really knows about the everyday goings on at the club nowadays but its almost certainly much less than he leads us to believe.

• Like 2

“Roy was probably the biggest influence on my career,” Fletcher added. “He would come down hard on me if I ever did anything wrong but he made me realise what it meant to be a Manchester United player. I can remember coming in from training one day and checking my mobile phone for text messages. Well, that was it. He absolutely hammered me, all the way into the gym. He was a great influence, really. If Roy had a go at you, he did it because he cared. He was the best captain you could wish for. He would tear you to shreds on the pitch if you gave away the ball, ‘get your effing touch right, effing this, effing that’ but, as soon as you got into the dressing room, it was over. He was a winner. I’ve met dedicated professionals but he had something else.”

Darren Fletcher on Roy Keane.

Personally I think he is exactly what some of our players need.

This approach works for some, though I fear it to be the exception rather than the rule. There is no doubt he drilled people hard and wanted the best the whole time but in our dressing room I feel he is going to alienate more people than he drives to success.

Yet the person he knows him and knows our dressing room clearly thinks otherwise.

Hardly makes him immune from making mistakes.

No but personally I'd rather wait and see than assume I know better than him about the workings of our dressing room.

I stated what I feel will happen. I haven't stated that I know better. If no one is allowed to speculate as to what they think will happen what's the point in even having a forum.

Pat murphy seems to enjoy having a pop at villa whenever he can, since his mate o'neil walked out on us.

not sure how much he really knows about the everyday goings on at the club nowadays but its almost certainly much less than he leads us to believe.

This, this and oh this.

• Like 1

I can see a few positives and a few negatives about this appointment

It will either be a master stroke or a complete car crash

Lets hope it's the former

Anyway welcome Roy. Try not to get too pissed off with watching a bunch of no hopers train on your first day.

I stated what I feel will happen. I haven't stated that I know better. If no one is allowed to speculate as to what they think will happen what's the point in even having a forum.

I didn't say you did, neither did I say you weren't allowed to speculate.

In a strange way I'm looking forward to seeing the impact Keane has on the squad. It's clear we needed change at the club, the change we hoped would happen in the form of ownership hasn't happened so consequently whilst Lerner stays in charge then so will Lambert.

I think Keane will provide a fresh impetus. I listened to Matt Holland recently who said that the Irish squad were very complimentary about Keane so maybe he's better suited to being a number 2 than a manager. I'm sure he'll have a more positive impact than Culverhouse did.

• Like 2

If you go by what has been said from people whom have played with Keane they say he is a fantastic tactile coach & good with the players when training but lacks in man management.

Lambert always strikes me as a manger who likes to put an arm around a player, Keane on the other hand won't be afraid to call out a player. So lambert & Keane would very well make a good paring

• Like 3

I'm thinking that at least Clark may improve, simply because his assistant boss at club level is also assistant boss at international level.

I find it interesting that 2 years is the term of contract. Is that anything to do with the possibility of Ireland needing him for the 2016 European Championships?

If you go by what has been said from people whom have played with Keane they say he is a fantastic tactile coach & good with the players when training but lacks in man management.

Lambert always strikes me as a manger who likes to put an arm around a player, Keane on the other hand won't be afraid to call out a player. So lambert & Keane would very well make a good paring

This is basically my thinking. Most management teams consist of different characters so that they tick all the boxes. One thing missing last year was letting the players know it wasn't good enough I now you can't berate players in public all the time but now and again it's needed. Keane sets high standards and will be asking questions of the players on a daily basis I think that is something that slipped last year badly a few of the players need a kick up the arse. Weimann and Gabby just for starters!

• Like 1

It's the old...

Villa fans moan we haven't got an assistant manager.

Villa get in an assistant manager.

Villa fans, err yeah not that assistant manager.

I suppose it needs to be mr perfect who has won all assistant manager awards in the world and wants to come to a club that is in limbo and not spending much.

• Like 2

It's the old...

Villa fans moan we haven't got an assistant manager.

Villa get in an assistant manager.

Villa fans, err yeah not that assistant manager.

I suppose it needs to be mr perfect who has won all assistant manager awards in the world and wants to come to a club that is in limbo and not spending much.

MrPerfect.jpg

He might be a winner, but im not sure i'd wan't Mr Perfect as assistant manager

• Like 2

Â