Roy Keane

TrentVilla

As a manager and a leader he has since been worthless. He would definitely create a lot of trouble and alienate players, then bugger off when everything goes tits up.

I suggest you review his Sunderland career again.

Just reviewed it, granted just on Wiki.  The Sunderland entry ends with

Keane’s harsh management style was not appreciated by the Sunderland players, who were reported to have celebrated when they heard he had resigned. 

This was with Sunderland in 18th place in the league.  I certainly can't find anything in there to make me warm to the man or the manager that is Roy Keane.  Whatever his role may be at Villa park, I don't want him here, he is a bully and really would not give a crap about the club.  I can't think how his appointment would help in the long term.

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you, but it doesn't seem like we're thinking about the 'long term' in any way at the moment. 

As a manager and a leader he has since been worthless. He would definitely create a lot of trouble and alienate players, then bugger off when everything goes tits up.

Where he promoted, barely stayed up and then got sacked/resigned before Christmas?

Yeah, quite the accomplishment. Reminds me of every other manager that couldn't cut it in the Premier League.

Where he promoted, barely stayed up and then got sacked/resigned before Christmas?

Yeah, quite the accomplishment. Reminds me of every other manager that couldn't cut it in the Premier League.

he promoted a team that was bottom of the table when he took over and had won 1 game the season before and also had worst ever premier league record at the time

I've been away for the last 10 days or so.  Did this ever happen?

Everyone felt that Keane was too harsh for an assistant manager role so we are now linked with Barney, the purple dinosaur, as a more friendly face in the dressing room....

• Like 4

I remember when Lambert joined there was a little bit of speculation in the media about Culverhouse and Karsa joining him, but never any announcement or official statement, then BAM! Players first day back at pre-season training, pictures on the official website with Culverhouse and Karsa putting the players through their paces. Whereas I'd expect a high-profile appointment such as Keane to get a bit of announcement, just thought I'd throw that little bit of history out there.

I remember when Lambert joined there was a little bit of speculation in the media about Culverhouse and Karsa joining him, but never any announcement or official statement, then BAM! Players first day back at pre-season training, pictures on the official website with Culverhouse and Karsa putting the players through their paces. Whereas I'd expect a high-profile appointment such as Keane to get a bit of announcement, just thought I'd throw that little bit of history out there.

That was all t odo with NCFC being areseholes about releasing them and a deal had to be struck, IIRC they let them go after their new manager was appointed.

That tweet was deleted a few minutes after it was posted.

I seen that, they still posted it though, maybe they just posted it too early,

Or maybe they do shit like this all the time so you'll follow them so you'll be the one to see a tweet like that before they delete it.

According to the Sun he signs next week

The Sun: Aston Villa are set to appoint Roy Keane as assistant boss next week. Keane was approached by Villa manager Paul Lambert a month ago. The ex-Sunderland and Ipswich manager will combine his new Villa duties with his coaching job under Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill. Keane is set to be at Villa when the squad reports back for pre-season training in 10 days.

he promoted a team that was bottom of the table when he took over and had won 1 game the season before and also had worst ever premier league record at the time

The calibre of players he was able to bring in that one season in the Championship :

Liam Miller. Free. Manchester United

Dwight Yorke. Free. Sydney FC

Graham Kavanagh. £500,000. Wigan

Stanislav Varga. £550,000. Celtic

David Connolly. £1.4m. Wigan

Ross Wallace. £550,000. Celtic

Lewis Nyatanga. Loan. Derby

Jonny Evans. Loan. Manchester United

Marton Fulop. £500,000. Tottenham

Carlos Edwards. £1.4m. Luton

Anthony Stokes. £2m. Arsenal

Danny Simpson. Loan. Manchester United

Stern John. Undisclosed. Coventry

He rode the crest of a wave, it has been done before and it will be done again by some truly incompetent managers. Paul Jewell and Phil Brown spring to mind.

He then spent £80m to walk away with then looking at relegation.

To say his time at Sunderland was a success would be wrong IMO.

It was a golden oppurtunity missed and they have been paying for it since with endless relegation battles.

I loved Keane as a player but I cannot see him as a successful manager, and really not sure on the training field. Time will tell, but I cannot see this ending well.

Â