The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a job interview next week for a role that is paying £4/6k less than what I'm currently earning, its 13 mile from home as opposed to my current job which is 1.2m, and its a 5 day week, i currently work 4 on 4 off. Seems like a no brainer doesn't it?

They are however offering a fantastic training package which could be great for my career moving forward. I don't earn a massive amount of money so that is a big drop for me, I'm wondering, has anyone else taken a 2 steps backs to potentially move forward view with their careers? And if so did things pan out as expected?

I gave up contracting in the financial sector after 18 months - earning a tidy amount - normal admin stuff that would be fairly basic elsewhere, but because it was financial sector - hey let's chuck on a premium, presumably the absolute lack of job security attached to it was part of it - but anyway, I didn't enjoy the work, and wanted a career I could throw myself into. I'm pursuing librarianship / information science qualifications, but I've spent the last two years now on massively less money, albeit with a course that is mostly funded for me ( so there are similarities ). Whilst the penny pinching is a bit tiring, I think of the longer term goal and I'm happy to do it. I feel more confident of pursuing ambitious challenging roles in an environment that I'm actually interested in as part of a career in hopefully the foreseeable future. I was 28/9 when I changed, at a point where I thought, **** it let's do it now before the risk of mortgage or other life commitments made it harder. I'm happy to have done so. I would say if the bigger picture and long term goal is something you really would want, then go for it - consider how long the training course is, and how long the gap would be to 'recovering' the money you're missing. At 2 years on now I'm chomping at the bit to be paid properly for a challenging role. 

I'm still I suppose in the middle part of the plan, after the 2 steps back I'm about 1 step further forward! I dropped about 15-17k a year to do what I did. Yes I have had regrets, currently earning not much more than **** all, but I decided the bigger picture was worth it. Train myself up properly and I'll never need to go below the 20ks again with any luck and set myself up for something interesting, decent and 'relatively' stable. Then Brexit happened, so **** knows what's going to happen :P 

that's all a long winded way of going . " well it could be alright". 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Rodders. Im not really leaving my trade.I'm an electrician, and the opportunity is to work for a company that will give my extensive PLC training (Programable logic controllers) both in house, and also through formal qualifications that can cost thousands of pounds to aquire. Its one of those catch 22 industries, its difficult to enter unless you have experience, but you obvioisly can't get that experience without first being given the opportunity. So i recognise its a rare opportunity.

Theres only so much your average sparky can earn on PAYE and I'm probably approaching that, getting into PLC's means a lot higher ceiling. But the Mrs works in the care industry which is appallingly paid so i really do have to consider the short term hit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd sort of halted my job search as I wouldn't get paternity leave if I moved now. However I've managed to get an interview next week for a job I quite fancy doing which is much closer to me and potentially more money. It's a completely new direction, so I'll do well to get it but quite looking forward to the interview for once as it's not a job I should really be getting like others I've been to recently so I've got nothing to lose.

Job interview tomorrow. In two minds about it as I like my current job but after 5 years it's probably time to move on. 

Im only really going because my boss is dragging her heels on the pay rise I'm due but I doubt I could use the potential new option as leverage. 

The new role feels like a sideward step but for a much more interesting organisation. Guess I'll just have to see how tomorrow goes. I might not even get the nod. 

Smashed the interview, really liked the people I'd be working with and am now really keen on this new role. Down to the last two but the only trouble is I'm up against someone who beat me to a job about 5 years ago. Guess I'm going to have to pull out all the stops if I'm going to land it.

Sounds like you won't be doing it anyway, but I'd advise against using a job as leverage for a payrise, tbh. Sticking around after telling a company you've had a formal offer that you're considering rarely goes well, your card is marked by that point. At most I'd refer to market rates, dont say you've been interviewing.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, choffer said:

Smashed the interview, really liked the people I'd be working with and am now really keen on this new role. Down to the last two but the only trouble is I'm up against someone who beat me to a job about 5 years ago. Guess I'm going to have to pull out all the stops if I'm going to land it.

Find out where he lives and break his legs.

• Like 1

Applying for a new job this weekend. Seen one I am interested in at my current place and spending this weekend freshening up my CV.

Complete change of direction from what I'm currently doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Applying for a new job this weekend. Seen one I am interested in at my current place and spending this weekend freshening up my CV.

Complete change of direction from what I'm currently doing. 

Pilot? Astronaut? Nuclear scientist? Checkout assistant? Gentleman's fluffer?

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Pilot? Astronaut? Nuclear scientist? Checkout assistant? Gentleman's fluffer?

A little from column A, a little from column B... 

• Like 2

Â