The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Interview went very well, wore a shirt and tie and parroted a few facts about the company. He was my best buddy from there. He really sold me on role and has me in to meet who'll be my manager tomorrow.

Consultation didn't go as well.

Offered a month's notice in lieu the redundancy pay would be 2 weeks pay, then felt really pressured into accepting an alternative role. The main one they offered is a problem site, empty building in Perry Barr that has constant issues with traveller's. Manager was being quite arsey because he heard about my interview. 

"but we're offering you jobs"

Cheers mate, it would have been a lot less stressful this weekend if you'd said last week. 2nd consultation is on Thursday where I need to make my choice, I'm leaning towards taking the redundancy and my chances with getting this other job.

I've got to the point with my job where if somebody gave me a random time of the week I could probably tell them exactly what I'd be doing.  I think it's time to move on.  I saw one job online but I missed the deadline because the website listed it as closing in Feb rather than Jan but they said they'd keep my CV on file.  Whether that's just them being polite or they actually will keep me in mind I'm not sure.

Interview went so-so today... 2 hours of constant grilling. Could have done better with some questions but i'd give myself a 6/10

It's good experience if nothing else. 

• Like 1

Didn't get enough information on the alternative roles, phoned up to ask them to email the rundown on them so I can think it over tonight before having to give them my decision tomorrow.

no email yet, there will be a round of **** if they think I'm accepting any role without having sufficient time to decide on them. 

2nd interview went well yesterday, if I pass the pre-employment screening I'll be getting a job offer. 

• Like 1

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.  A really good opportunity has popped up for me to be seconded to Washington for 3 years. The problem is that I love my job (having fought to be given it over a year ago) and I genuinely like the life I have at the moment.  If I went for it (and got it), it would mean leaving the UK, family and friends and starting afresh in the USA.  The other big fear I have is what I would come back to.  I chatted to the guy who runs the scheme today and essentially upon arriving back to the UK after 3 years, I would be put into a "holding job" for 6 months whilst I figured out what I wanted to do and what opportunities are available.  If no suitable jobs are available, I'd be basically be given any role for my level to keep me employed .  That scares the hell out of me.  

What are your thoughts? Would I be mad not to apply? Family and friends are telling me it's an opportunity of a lifetime, but it's after the 3 years that scares me.  

On 2/21/2017 at 18:13, Xela said:

Interview went so-so today... 2 hours of constant grilling. Could have done better with some questions but i'd give myself a 6/10

It's good experience if nothing else. 

Sorry to quote myself...

Never got the job. Went to someone who had experience in that certain field. Had some very good feedback though from the Director who interviewed me, so that was nice.

23 minutes ago, trekka said:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.  A really good opportunity has popped up for me to be seconded to Washington for 3 years. The problem is that I love my job (having fought to be given it over a year ago) and I genuinely like the life I have at the moment.  If I went for it (and got it), it would mean leaving the UK, family and friends and starting afresh in the USA.  The other big fear I have is what I would come back to.  I chatted to the guy who runs the scheme today and essentially upon arriving back to the UK after 3 years, I would be put into a "holding job" for 6 months whilst I figured out what I wanted to do and what opportunities are available.  If no suitable jobs are available, I'd be basically be given any role for my level to keep me employed .  That scares the hell out of me.  

What are your thoughts? Would I be mad not to apply? Family and friends are telling me it's an opportunity of a lifetime, but it's after the 3 years that scares me.  

Gut feeling if I was offered it? I'd take it. 3 years is a long time and anything can happen in that time. You're bound to get other opportunities. You may meet the love of your life in Capitol Hill!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, trekka said:

I'd do it. 

You're not a prisoner, if they offer you a cack position when you come back then you can say goodbye and disappear into the sunset with your sexy Washington contact list. 

• Like 2

Final consultation today.

Wasn't given enough info on the alternative roles to make a decision, we agreed to do a couple of shifts on 2 different sites to see how they go then for me to make a decision afterwards. Got a phonecall later to say HR won't allow that, I have to take the redundancy but I can call in Monday and take one of the offered roles as a new starter. 

Got another interview tomorrow with yet another company, I could come out of this ahead.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd do it. 

You're not a prisoner, if they offer you a cack position when you come back then you can say goodbye and disappear into the sunset with your sexy Washington contact list. 

Yup, listen to this guy, Trekka. Three years extra experience, and being able to big yourself up as being so good, your company transferred you over to another continent instead of hiring locally. You'll be so much more marketable it's absurd.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

Thanks, guys.  I'm still in two minds but I might spend my weekend perfecting my application (it's due by midnight on Monday). 

EDIT: I will be perfecting my application :)

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

Accepted a job offer today, really chuffed. The bottom line is £2k less than I'm currently on but its a good company with better opportunities for progression. And my current job is a bloody death trap. 

Needless to say I've cracked open the Laphroaig :)

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

Accepted a job offer today, really chuffed. The bottom line is £2k less than I'm currently on but its a good company with better opportunities for progression. And my current job is a bloody death trap. 

Needless to say I've cracked open the Laphroaig :)

Well done dude :) Just make it count and you'll be flying up the pay scales. 

Â