The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

• 2 weeks later...

Found out today that my last shift at work is Sunday night, we expected the contract to be ended soon, but were hoping for more than 4 days notice. To rub it in our manager wants to meet us all on site on Monday lunchtime, Apparently he doesn't believe in my need to sleep. 

I started applying for other jobs last week and had missed a call this morning to arrange an interview, I've called back and got myself booked in for Monday morning. 

Does anyone know where I stand with regards to notice and redundancy?

I'm monthly paid and have been with the company for a little over 2 years.

27 minutes ago, V01 said:

Found out today that my last shift at work is Sunday night, we expected the contract to be ended soon, but were hoping for more than 4 days notice. To rub it in our manager wants to meet us all on site on Monday lunchtime, Apparently he doesn't believe in my need to sleep. 

I started applying for other jobs last week and had missed a call this morning to arrange an interview, I've called back and got myself booked in for Monday morning. 

Does anyone know where I stand with regards to notice and redundancy?

I'm monthly paid and have been with the company for a little over 2 years.

But hard based on the above but the good news is you are over 2 years which is important from an employment perspective with claims.

I'm not though clear what your employment status was, were you employed? On a contract for services?

Simple way to answer that is do you have a contract of employment?

I'm an employee. The site we work was sold to the EFA to be turned into a school, the site is being turned over to the building company on Monday so our employer is losing the contract. 

We are a bit miffed in that our bosses don't seem to have a clue what's going to happen to us, we plan to argue that we're monthoy paid so should have been given a months notice or pay while we find something else. There might be roles going at another site but again they couldn't say whether we'll be offered them.

Basically no-one knows what the **** is going on and we have bills to pay so it's getting stressful.

Sorry to hear that but you do have rights, these include the ability to claim for unfair dismissal as you are post 2 years employment. Pre 2 years and this isn't an option only discrimination but anyway.

You are an employee with 2 years service and a contract of employment.

Therefore you employer is bound by that contact and the notice period contained writhin it which I would imagine is 1 month. Therefore you should be entitled to one months notice or in this case paid gardening leave.

However given the circumstances there is an argument for saying that they are in fact making your position redundant and that it should be treated as a redundancy. If there are possible roles elsewhere then I'd guess you may all be put on consultancy for redundancy. 

I recommend you check your notice period in your contract ahead of the meeting, attend the meeting with the knowledge of what is in it and see what they have to say. Oh and I'd query if you are being paid to attend the meeting or being given time I lieu as it shoud be one or the other.

Got my interview next week for a new position. Having been in my current role for such a long time I haven't had much experience of modern interviews. They are all capability/behavioural based now with questions like:

"Tell me about a time when..."

"Describe a time when.."

"Give me an example when..."

I have been advised to answer using the STAR method.

Are there any good online resources that you guys have stumbled across. Also the classic "Have you got any questions for us?" at the end. Any tips? 

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Got my interview next week for a new position. Having been in my current role for such a long time I haven't had much experience of modern interviews. They are all capability/behavioural based now with questions like:

"Describe a time when.."

Are there any good online resources that you guys have stumbled across. Also the classic "Have you got any questions for us?" at the end. Any tips? 

When I've done these things, obviously the main thing is confidence. Before you go prep yourself with scenarios in your head of when you have done something, they can usually be twisted to suit any example that the interviewer wants. Use a different example for each question asked and try not to use something from years ago, recent examples are better. Don't be afraid to take your time over an answer, you don't want to be rushing in and saying the wrong thing. As for questions at the end, I normally ask about some specific part of the role, and maybe even career progressions in the role as it shows you're ambitious and willing to learn.

Never used any online resources so couldn't help there.

Best of luck 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 10:17, omariqy said:

Not sure if anyone was listening but I have been saying for a while that I wanted to move back to Leamington and find a job closer to home. Before Xmas I did start to look as it seemed my current company were putting the brakes on to launching our new wealth management service.  I looked at a few places in the Midlands, Bucks, and Herts.  I knew something was going on at my current employer as they suddenly put a halt on everything. It all pointed to a sale. Anyways I had a couple of offers with one really good one based in Birmingham for a great role at a great company. I held out for a couple of weeks before accepting as I knew a sale was close. I had no idea what this sale looked like i.e. would every person go across, which departments, who would be made redundant.  Literally the day before I wanted to resign the news came out and I have timed it perfectly. Starting my new role at the end of March.  I've asked to leave beginning of March and take the option of redundancy. Hopefully have a few weeks off with my daughter before starting the new job!

So bit of a twist. The company buying my existing company wanted to meet me. They really liked me and have offered me a job with pretty similar terms. Really not sure what to do. I start my new job in a month and both have their pros and cons. However, I don't want to go back on my word. Then again I am sure they would do the same to me if they had to.

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Got my interview next week for a new position. Having been in my current role for such a long time I haven't had much experience

I presume it's an internal vacancy ? If so, see if you can pop over and sit with them (if not too late).

I interviewed last week for a position on my team and one of the applicants printed off proof of what he had done in his current role that had improved things, stuff like knowledge articles, evidence of what HE had done well. It wasn't death by PowerPoint, just a couple of sheets but the point was he'd thought it through and to quote Big Ron "don't tell me, show me !".

But yeah, deep breaths, think for a second or two and don't garble out an answer straightaway. Oh and a small bottle of water to help with the dry mouth (sip while thinking your answer through) - if they offer a drink deffo accept it and don't be polite. 

Good luck mate, you come across as a decent dude (and I'm not meaning to be a little ghey here ^_^)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

So bit of a twist. The company buying my existing company wanted to meet me. They really liked me and have offered me a job with pretty similar terms. Really not sure what to do. I start my new job in a month and both have their pros and cons. However, I don't want to go back on my word. Then again I am sure they would do the same to me if they had to.

You know what to do my friend, negotiate you will never be in a better position to do so.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2017 at 11:09, Xela said:

"Describe a time when.."

For the questions bit, the way I've always approached it is to make a list of questions now that you would genuinely like to ask. It might only be 2 or 3 questions.

Then write about 10 other questions below that that mean nothing. Just make it look like you have a list.

When they ask "have you got any questions?", turn to your list of questions and scan down the list. Then ask any you actually want to ask, and if there are none just look at the list and say something like "no I think we've covered everything I wanted to ask"

That way it looks like you were genuinely interested in asking stuff, but you no longer have any need to.

That's what I've done for every interview I've had, and I've never asked a single question. I just think it looks and sounds way better than just saying no at the end.

• Like 1

Thanks.

We still have no idea what's going to happen apart from that our current jobs are gone come close of business tomorrow.

Haven't had an interview in years, quite nervous, praying to all the sky fairies I don't start yawning until after the interview has finished.

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I've a new job asa company director, apparently I need to do a presentation to the staff about myself. What a stupid idea. ;)

Easy. One page presentation. Title '**** Bring Polite'.  End.

• Like 1

Double checked my interview confirmation

It's competency based, first question is almost guaranteed to be "tell me about yourself"

No doubt biggest strength/weakness and challenge will make an appearance too.

bb6d7063ce82938a86c76371e51addc2.jpg

Edited by V01
misspelling

3 hours ago, V01 said:

Double checked my interview confirmation

It's competency based, first question is almost guaranteed to be "tell me about yourself"

No doubt biggest strength/weakness and challenge will make an appearance too.

bb6d7063ce82938a86c76371e51addc2.jpg

My trick for "tell me your biggest weakness" is to tell them something genuine but then follow it up with stating that you've worked on it already and feel it's something you've resolved.

Something like "Well my biggest weakness has always been that I try to fix everything myself and don't always ask for help when I should. However, recently I've worked on this and started to flag problems up earlier so that my team can help me fix any issues".

Kinda sneaky. You're giving them a weakness and then immediately telling them it's no longer a weakness, whilst simultaneously showing them you can learn from your mistakes.

Â