The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

I think the thing with ITIL is that it doesn't scale down very well. Difficult to implement properly when you are most of the defined roles within your one job.

Yeah agreed. On my old project, it was pretty loosely defined. We had people covering aspects of incident/change/problem management in one role and others combining knowledge/process management.

In my current role, I focus solely on Incident Management so ITIL is fairly easy to implement in most things I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody here have any HR experience.  Can an employer change the terms and benefits of your contract without your knowledge and without discussion?  I.e. Lose death in service, health care, extra days holidays etc etc.

CAN MY EMPLOYER CHANGE MY CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT?

A contract of employment is a legal agreement between the employer and the employee. Its terms cannot lawfully be changed or varied by the employer without agreement from the employee (either individually or through a recognised trade union).

Your employer should meet with affected employees, or the union where one is recognised, and explain their case for making the proposed change. Employees must be given time to consider the proposal as well as to suggest alternative ways of achieving the same result (for example if cost-saving is the aim, different cost-saving ideas).

Where the change involves removing a benefit, an employment tribunal is more likely to think your employer has acted fairly if it has offered something in return for the change, such as financial compensation, and given enough advance notice before the change takes effect. 

An employee can decide to accept a change, and many terms of the contract are, of course, varied from time to time by mutual consent. For example, it is quite usual for pay to be varied (usually increased) on an annual basis.

A change to the contract must not leave an employee unable to perform the contract – for example, requiring an employee to relocate at extremely short notice with no payment of expenses.     

The way your employer implements any contract change must not breach their duty not to behave in a way that damages mutual trust and confidence, or the implied duty of good faith. 

Where changes are made to your contract, employers must give you written notification of the change within four weeks.

An unauthorised, one-sided variation will be a breach of the contract of employment, and the fact that the employer has given you notice of the change will not make it lawful. However, if you put up with the change without protesting, there is a good chance that you will be viewed as having implicitly accepted the change, losing your right to object to it.   

You should consider regularly registering your opposition to the change (e.g. every month) and pursuing a claim in the employment tribunal for, say, unlawful deduction from wages.

In practice, a collective approach to this sort of dispute is often best, either via a group tribunal claim supported by your trade union, through protest and threatened industrial action, or by a combination of different approaches.

Sometimes, a change is so fundamental that it goes to the heart of the contract. A resignation in response to this kind of change could be a 'constructive dismissal'. However, resigning is clearly a very high-risk option, and usually only advisable when you have another job to go to. 

https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/pay-and-contracts/contract-changes/can-my-employer-change-my-contract-employment

nope, well not according to that link anyway. 

Edited by Rodders

• 2 weeks later...

there's always a fecking out:( ryanair cited exceptional circumstances for rejecting a claim for compensation for a flight delayed by over 4 hours. Can imagine shit like that just covers them for everything, rendering the whole consumer / employer protection legislation effectively pointless :/

Just got myself a supervisory promotion ( a small one, mostly for the title, but still progress ) and now dealing with colleagues who half of whom also applied for it. Interesting. In fairness those guys are totally fine, but another colleague who didn't apply, is just disappearing most of the shift - it's always possible I'm only noticing it now that responsibility for the shift has landed on my head but it's annoying. Mostly because the job we all do is generally very quiet, and only tough if there are annoying students or unexpected shit turns up - which is rare - so most shifts are placid, and people can chill in what is a slightly glorified security guard role ( library assistants in evenings). She disappeared nominally to pick up some reservations, and swans back in 10 minutes before the shift ends after about 90 minutes hiding in the shelves. She's technically done the job, but left other people alone to deal with people, and due to limited numbers prevents me from doing other bits when I'm on my own. I know managing or supervising people is about people skills and being arsey is a terrible way to deal with it, I don't want to start my new role on an aggressive front at all. When it's quiet it's a bit dull and going off into the shelves to listen to a podcast or some music is something we all do, but you can't spend whole hours there. Mentioning it seems like it might be petty, because it is just a fairly basic job, she probably doesn't give too much of a shit about it - it's the kind of job generally people do to get a bit of experience or extra quid - but I dislike the piss being taken, especially when there's plenty of time to chill out anyway.

Hmm, possibly should have posted this in the boring thread :P 

I've had a great few months and already planning my next step. From January I'll be doing my IDP for Service Delivery Manager which was my 5 year goal, and has been bumped forward a few years which I'm chuffed with. 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2016 at 20:20, Stevo985 said:

Notice (finally) handed in. 

Feels good. Boss was very supportive. He'd guessed I was handing it in anyway. He was off sick all week and I'd emailed saying I needed to speak to him urgently and it needed to be in person, which I don't usually ever want/need to do.

Leave at the end of the month :)

4 months into my new job.

It's insanely busy compared to JLR. I have less people reporting to me but way more responsibility. Regular exposure to the big dogs and it's brought on a shit tonne of work.

For the first 6 weeks I kinda hated it, but as I've got better at understanding the company and the role it's got better and better. But yeah, the workload is a huge change from my previous job.

Enjoying it now, but with a side helping of stress. It's a good experience for me but it's not something I can see myself doing for years and years.

• Like 3

How would I go about completely switching careers? I've only been in manufacturing since I left school 8 years ago so that's all I know and all I have to my CV. I know it isn't for me so would rather switch up sooner rather than later and actually find a 'career' for me. I've kind of filtered out what I do/don't like (thanks to previous advice on here) and I would really like to get into IT, but more so the software side of things. Not exactly sure what just yet realistically speaking. 

Are there any programs or courses I can take or pay for to get under my belt? As I say, I'm currently in a dead end factory job so that's all that sits on my CV so most companies wouldn't take a second look at me. 

I switched careers at 26, left recruitment that I had been doing for 6 years and joined the world of IT. 

It was a really tough thing to do, because I was effectively leaving what I know and what I was good at, to something so so different. It was what I wanted to do with the rest of my working life though, so went for it. And I would encourage others to do the same if that is what will make them happy...

I'm not sure on a good software specific starting point, maybe some of the other guys will know, but I went straight into service desk which meant I was providing support to recruitment companies on both the IT side, and applications side of things. When I joined I didn't even know what Active Directory was. Now I've been promoted into an Ops role providing specific support on applications. 

At the time, I decided I wanted to get a degree to my name, so the same year that I made the move I also started a degree with the OU - in Computing. I hear lots of great things about the CompTIA A+ Exam being really helpful for people wanting to make a start in IT, so it could be worth taking a look at that to get things going. If you mention that you are 'working towards' it on your CV that might help things. But definitely start looking for Service Desk roles to see if you can get your foot in the door... it might be worth calling a couple of IT recruitment companies and being honest about your situation and seeing if they have any clients that are looking for someone to bring in and develop...

Edited by Tayls

On 12/1/2016 at 12:50, Tayls said:

I switched careers at 26, left recruitment that I had been doing for 6 years and joined the world of IT. 

It was a really tough thing to do, because I was effectively leaving what I know and what I was good at, to something so so different. It was what I wanted to do with the rest of my working life though, so went for it. And I would encourage others to do the same if that is what will make them happy...

I'm not sure on a good software specific starting point, maybe some of the other guys will know, but I went straight into service desk which meant I was providing support to recruitment companies on both the IT side, and applications side of things. When I joined I didn't even know what Active Directory was. Now I've been promoted into an Ops role providing specific support on applications. 

At the time, I decided I wanted to get a degree to my name, so the same year that I made the move I also started a degree with the OU - in Computing. I hear lots of great things about the CompTIA A+ Exam being really helpful for people wanting to make a start in IT, so it could be worth taking a look at that to get things going. If you mention that you are 'working towards' it on your CV that might help things. But definitely start looking for Service Desk roles to see if you can get your foot in the door... it might be worth calling a couple of IT recruitment companies and being honest about your situation and seeing if they have any clients that are looking for someone to bring in and develop...

Sorry for the late response mate, appreciate this. I applied for a couple on the off chance but turned down straight away. I really need to polish the CV up.

I've been told about free code camp a couple of times from different people and signed up earlier. This is the sort of route I'd like to take career wise, however, is a site such as this worth pumping time into in regards to finding job opportunities at the end of it. What I mean is I won't get a certificate of any sort to say I've completed free online code courses so would this just be something I put on my CV?

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

After busting my guts for the last few months, got a promotion today! Happy days :clap::hooray::thumb::cheers:

Well done pal

That extra £500 a year will make a big difference :P

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

2 months into my new job and really enjoying it. Very challenging and I'm learning a lot but not exactly working crazy hours at all, team are really nice people and the pay is way better. 

This is the nicest Dr.P post I've ever read :D

• Like 1

Â