The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Ah, that kind of sucks...over a year's wages would have been fantastic. 

On the bright side, that's 10k tax free, so it gives you plenty of time to find soemthing else.

Edited by Davkaus

13 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

10k give or take, its a bit gutting because just about 2 years ago they changed the redundancy package, it used to be 3.5 weeks wages for every year that you have worked here, if it was still that then I'd definitely be putting my name forward for voluntary redundancy.

10k isn't really a fat lot for 14 years service, it wouldn't last long if I didn't manage to find a new job soon after

Can they change your redundancy rights like that? They've changed it our place but it only affected people taken on after the change was announced, the people already employed had their rights protected and are still on the older redundancy packages should they be let go. 

Just had a quick google it seems that a lot of redundancy policies aren't written into your terms of employment contract, they are just discretionary and can change. Seems a lot of companies change their policy to the Government minimum then make people redundant shortly afterwards. 

the one thing that is amazing is how many people have a sob story that they genuinely believe should be taken into account.

'they can't get rid of me, I have just had a babby'

'they can't get rid of me, my mortgage is £1000 a month, I can't afford that without my job'

'they can't get rid of me, my husband will get deported if I'm not earning enough money' (yeah that is a real concern that someone has raised)

I mean jesus, I have just moved into a new flat and I can't afford to be made redundant but I certainly don't expect the big boys at the top to give two short sharp shiny shits about that, if they wanna get rid of me then they'll get rid of me

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Didn't get it mate. Had some good feedback though and the interview experience will hopefully stand me in good stead for next time!

Had exactly the same experience 2 weeks ago. Was initially gutted then I realised that I was only gutted because I had to stay put a bit longer. The fact that they only chose the other guy over me because he wanted £15k less probably proves I made the right decision.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Started a new job a while back. Really good pay and basickly just writeing which I am good at at so that is good. Oh and saucing blogs from people and stuff and writeing.

Do you reckon you could get me a job?

18 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Started a new job a while back. Really good pay and basickly just writeing which I am good at at, so that is good. Oh, and saucing blogs from people, and stuff and writeing.

I see you work for the Birmingham Mail.

#satire #funny #fortehlolz #swoosh

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

'they can't get rid of me, my husband will get deported if I'm not earning enough money' (yeah that is a real concern that someone has raised)

Sponsoring someone for a visa is income-dependent, so this is not beyond the bounds of possibility at all. Of course it won't save the person their job, but (assuming this is the situation they're in) it definitely does suck. I'm in the middle of this process right now, I have no idea what I would do if I lost my job. 

Sorry to hear too @leemond2008.  I know it doesn't feel like it now but you'll be OK. The redundancy will help and with the experience you have, you should find yourself in a new job before too long.  It might even be a blessing in disguise.  Stay positive and start looking at your options now.  

Started the new job today, went well. There was lot's of walking, my calves protest.

Didn't enjoy getting up 5:30 this morning either, same again tomorrow then a couple of night shifts. At least I'll get a lie in.

• Like 1

Â