The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I ask this question not to find out what people earn as not but to what do people think is a 'decent' salary nowadays for working in Birmingham? (I accept London/SE will be different) Say for someone in their mid 20's, mid 30's and mid 40's?

Mid 20's: 30-35k

Mid 30's: 40-45k

MId 40's £50k plus

It's all subjective though. That's what I'd class as "decent". But not "great"

Very much more than decent, Stevo. I'm a mid-twenties graduate living in London and not only am I not on anything close to that salary, I don't know too many other people who are either. Maybe if you work in finance or another very corporate position you might be on £35k by your mid twenties, but I can say with reasonable confidence that young people in most walks of life certainly aren't. 

• Like 2

MId 40's £50k plus

Very much more than decent, Stevo. I'm a mid-twenties graduate living in London and not only am I not on anything close to that salary, I don't know too many other people who are either. Maybe if you work in finance or another very corporate position you might be on £35k by your mid twenties, but I can say with reasonable confidence that young people in most walks of life certainly aren't. 

Yeah that might be a bit high. Should probably be 25-30.

BUt like I said, everybody's perception of decent will be different.

MId 40's £50k plus

Not really, I know plenty of young lads (trades men) Brickys, Chippys, Sparkys etc all pulling in at least £150 a shift. 

Cant really speak for any finance/corporate positions. 

• Like 1

very much perspective, I reckon anything over £35k is excellent, regardless of age really.  £25-35k would be a healthy salary to be living off in a city.

Depends on what kind of starting point / ambition is though I suppose. If you walk into a 20k plus job the moment you graduate, then your own bias is going to anchor up an estimate assuming everyone's average is higher than it is. I admit I'm a bit of a thrifty sod mind, so maybe my own estimate is pretty low. 

I'd be amongst the happiest people on earth at my age (mid-20s) and picking up over £30k.

I think a mid-20k wage at my age is good going. Funnily enough probably around what I should be paid. As it is I've but even broken £20k.

**** everything.

:(

25k is the average wage.

Anything over that is good.

I'm on more, but i was comfortable on 25k, anything on top just lets you go on holiday or buy a couple of extra take aways a month, maybe some savings..

It doesn't make a huge diff.

I guess the main diff for me coming up will be the 8k a year nursery fees we'll have to start paying in july.. [emoji33]

I'd be amongst the happiest people on earth at my age (mid-20s) and picking up over £30k.

I think a mid-20k wage at my age is good going. Funnily enough probably around what I should be paid. As it is I've but even broken £20k.

**** everything.

:(

I wouldn't beat yourself up mate. The average wage, certainly in Birmingham, would be no more than 25k. Your in your mid twenties and your around 5k shy of that.

Qualifications will get you so far but experience is also a huge contributor to how well you will do and that can only come with time obviously. Given you are still only a puppy I am sure you will get to a wage you feel much happier with eventually.

MId 40's £50k plus

Not really, I know plenty of young lads (trades men) Brickys, Chippys, Sparkys etc all pulling in at least £150 a shift. 

Cant really speak for any finance/corporate positions. 

Probably a fair point, would think a lot of tradesmen do better financially than graduates, especially early on. 

As others have said £30k-£35k in mid twenties is an absolute dream for most. Ive been above £25k for the last two years and dont plan on ever going back down. With 2 months of unemployment it made me realise just how much of that I pissed up the wall and wasted though, 

Id say a £5k increase every 5 years is a good return on career growth.

Im motivated, experienced and clever (If I do say so myself) but If I was on £35k basic I think id be delighted with my lot but I wouldnt be that bothered if I didnt get there for another 10 years, think ill be there by the time Im 30 though. 

Im motivated, experienced and clever (If I do say so myself)...

Yes you may. You can also put some grammar into your posts as well! Your use of the apostrophe is appalling!!

;) Just messing.

Edited by Tayls

I think you should be earning close to your age - that has always been my target. When i turned 24 I was earning 22k (plus 20% OTE). I said to my manager just after my bday that I wanted a pay rise, and the only reason I had was because I wanted to be earning more to match my age. We got on well so I was able to say this. She went away and put a case together for me and got me a 2k increase. I turned 26 late last year and now I'm on 25k.... But in a different job/company. I've only just finished my probation so it might be too early to ask for an increase! Still plan to be on or over 30k by the time I am 30!

Â