New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Found a little more time to make some more adjustments to this concept.

After reading the @NurembergVillan post I decided to remove the star, I've also flattened the diamond out a little and changed the font-face.

I've also just knocked up a few graphics to better present the idea, which I've thrown up on Behance https://www.behance.net/gallery/147539317/Aston-Villa-Crest-Redesign-Concept for the people who like that sort of thing. I'll post the images below for those who don't.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Think I'm going to leave at that, should probably get some work done at some point... but because I love you all, here's a few more bits I did playing around.

spacer.png

I wasn't a fan of the original but this flattened AV works really well!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

After reading the @NurembergVillan post I decided to remove the star, I've also flattened the diamond out a little and changed the font-face.

I've also just knocked up a few graphics to better present the idea, which I've thrown up on Behance https://www.behance.net/gallery/147539317/Aston-Villa-Crest-Redesign-Concept for the people who like that sort of thing. I'll post the images below for those who don't.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Think I'm going to leave at that, should probably get some work done at some point... but because I love you all, here's a few more bits I did playing around.

spacer.png

It's definitely growing on me. I think the changes you made definitely improved the design. I'm not sure if I love the diamond but I think there's potential there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

If it's the one that did PSG and LOSC then it would be Dragon Rouge.  Here is their PSG case study and their LOSC case study.  They also did the French League.  Looking at the examples, what I like about them is that they seem to work on the total visual identity and not just the logo, so we can expect a very integrated design concept.

I'm redesigning my own portfolio site at the moment and may, ahem, borrow how they do their case studies... er allegedly!

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

I really like the look of that badge, just doesn’t look right on a shirt for some reason.

• Like 1

spacer.png

If the club released this exact design - I would be really impressed.

• Like 2

Looking at the work Dragon Rogue have done with PSG and LOSC, we can expect a more minimal stripped back abstract badge, I guess more in line with Aresnal, Spurs and even Bristol City's stripped back modernised take on the traditional badge.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Very, very nice effort!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Looking at the work Dragon Rogue have done with PSG and LOSC, we can expect a more minimal stripped back abstract badge, I guess more in line with Aresnal, Spurs and even Bristol City's stripped back modernised take on the traditional badge.

That’s my take away as well. It’ll be very minimalistic

@Teale's 'tache - I really like the diamond and the concept work above. Top stuff. 
Using the diamond idea and your skills, I’m wondering if you would mind having a go at a design to satisfy my curiosity? Is there a way you can almost overlap the A and the V where they meet at the ends and within the gap put in an abstract lions head (LOSC style)? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

Love the way that looks on the rendering of the new North Stand. Very impressive work.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

spacer.png

I realised what I didn’t like about the newer badges. The lion wasn’t as aggressive and always had one foot in the air.

Ive had a look and the 2000-2006 lion is my favourite. It’s stocky, aggressive and it’s planted on the ground better. 

Took Robs advice on the text and went with the same font but two different styles. Chucked in the 1874 to fill the gap. 

I think a different more classic/traditional font would work better and better sizing so the 1874 fits better would be good but overall that’s the rough style I’d be happy with if we went for a more ‘Spurs’ approach. 

Really like this. Says who we are with more than a hint of quality and tradition.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

spacer.png

I realised what I didn’t like about the newer badges. The lion wasn’t as aggressive and always had one foot in the air.

Ive had a look and the 2000-2006 lion is my favourite. It’s stocky, aggressive and it’s planted on the ground better. 

Took Robs advice on the text and went with the same font but two different styles. Chucked in the 1874 to fill the gap. 

I think a different more classic/traditional font would work better and better sizing so the 1874 fits better would be good but overall that’s the rough style I’d be happy with if we went for a more ‘Spurs’ approach. 

I like these but still prefer the new lion, maybe the text could be a little smaller but these are good 👍

Distinctive, which is what we want rather than some generic crap.

I’m really wondering if using just the head of the lion would be a good move and make the badge stand out more.

Again, something similar but better looking than the Ghana Lions logo. Maybe a variation of the Ajax badge…

spacer.png

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

Great work as usual but, to be totally honest, I’m just not a fan of the shape (especially as it looks on the shirt) nor the look of the A and V.

It’s… too vertical… or narrow… and doesn’t stand out for me, especially at a distance.

I prefer the designs at the bottom of your post. 

• Like 1

Maybe the lion is too “overpowered” or obscured by that design too. Not a fan of the letters…

Looking at it on the stadium render… it just doesn’t stand out and a lot less so than our original crest (on the original render) too…

The lion is also significantly smaller than the Castore logo… yeah the A and V are too dominant and it just doesn’t stand out overall… especially on the shirt.

Edited by Jas10

I like the work by @Teale's 'tache and @Ingram85. Definitely in the right direction - for me, at least.

I'd drop the 1874 from both, though. It makes things too busy, and if you were to shrink that crest for, say, a business card or a Twitter avatar it would completely disappear.

There's a role for 1874, the star and maybe even the McGregor silhouette, in the suite of ID options, but I'd be using them as discoverables rather than as part of the main feature.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I like the work by @Teale's 'tache and @Ingram85. Definitely in the right direction - for me, at least.

I'd drop the 1874 from both, though. It makes things too busy, and if you were to shrink that crest for, say, a business card or a Twitter avatar it would completely disappear.

There's a role for 1874, the star and maybe even the McGregor silhouette, in the suite of ID options, but I'd be using them as discoverables rather than as part of the main feature.

It's so obvious now you've said it, can't believe I missed it, the 1874 is never going to be seen at smaller sizes.

@Jas10 I also agree with some of your critiques, I'm not happy with how it sits on the shirt, though it's more colour related than size I think, the current crest is mainly light blue sitting on claret which stands out, whereas mine doesn't as much, I guess it depends on how much you want it to stand out in that context. I could play around with the colours, have light blue diamond perhaps...

The render I'm not so concerned about, I think if the space it sat on was diamond rather than rectangular it would work a lot better, also I've not done a great job swapping the crests on it, kind of a last minute idea.

• Like 2