$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Well those who think it could be the 76ers boys made a decision Thursday night that really screwed the fans over. Basically had two good picks in the draft (3 & 10) and selected although possibly the best player in the draft, a player who plays in a position that they filled last year, with an injured (torn acl missed all last season) centre who they traded away their all star point guard for. The centre that they drafted has a broken bone in his foot and is going to be out for 6 months. The other pick they made was an international player who although has lots of potential but will not play for them next year as he is no where near ready & will stay in Europe. They have basically wrote off next season entirely, which the fans are fuming about, but long term have probably made some decent moves, next season they'll probably end up with a top 3 pick.

Well those who think it could be the 76ers boys made a decision Thursday night that really screwed the fans over. Basically had two good picks in the draft (3 & 10) and selected although possibly the best player in the draft, a player who plays in a position that they filled last year, with an injured (torn acl missed all last season) centre who they traded away their all star point guard for. The centre that they drafted has a broken bone in his foot and is going to be out for 6 months. The other pick they made was an international player who although has lots of potential but will not play for them next year as he is no where near ready & will stay in Europe. They have basically wrote off next season entirely, which the fans are fuming about, but long term have probably made some decent moves, next season they'll probably end up with a top 3 pick.

Really wish I understood even a quarter of what this is telling us :)

• Like 1

It'd be like us buying Benteke last year but we gave up Milner for him, Benteke was injured all season and didn't play a game. We have 15m to spend on one player and 5m on another and we go out and buy a striker for 15m who can't play with Benteke, it's just impossible and it would not work but he could be better than Benteke but he could also be injured the whole time. The player we bought is also injured for 6 months, even though we badly need midfielders and we could have bought a very good midfielder for that 15m but we went the striker route which we didn't need, we also bought a very good centre back but we have left him on loan at the club he's at for at least one season, if not two, so basically we've spent 20m but the squad has not improved at all for next season, so we know even though last season was terrible, next season will probably be worse, when we could have got a midfielder and had a decent season.

Edited by Folski
  • Like 1

It'd be like us buying Benteke last year but we gave up Milner for him, Benteke was injured all season and didn't play a game. We have 15m to spend on one player and 5m on another and we go out and buy a striker for 15m who can't play with Benteke, it's just impossible and it would not work but he could be better than Benteke but he could also be injured the whole time. The player we bought is also injured for 6 months, even though we badly need midfielders and we could have bought a very good midfielder for that 15m but we went the striker route which we didn't need, we also bought a very good centre back but we have left him on loan at the club he's at for at least one season, if not two, so basically we've spent 20m but the squad has not improved at all for next season, so we know even though last season was terrible, next season will probably be worse, when we could have got a midfielder and had a decent season.

The difference is there is no relegation in the NBA. If the Sixers go 12-70 next time around and end up with the 1st pick again, they will have a ton of assets to possibly land some big name players or build a young team.

Worst place to be in the NBA is the middle. Want to be title contenders or in the top five of the draft.

I think the mirror story is just guess work and probably written to cause a reaction because no information is coming out of the club. I suspect Lerner knows the club will be sold in the next 4-6 weeks and why would you sanction purchases if the new owners don't want them.

At the same time if the club is unlikely to be sold while he won't be splashing the cash he wouldn't be so stupid as reflected in the article, never mind how much he has lost interest in the villa. It is still a better sale asset in the premiership than if we were relegated obviously.

So logically to me I have to believe we will be sold by mid August. We have no information, the media has no information which frustrates all but that doesn't mean something isn't happening.

Edited by nick76

Even after a terrible season I've always gone into the next season with at least a little naive blind optimism that we will put the past behind us and move on. This coming season however is filling me with nothing but dread. My gut feeling is that we aren't getting sold anytime soon & that we are going down. I'm hoping and praying my gut is wrong though. I'm not sure what Lerners plan is but we as fans are in the dark and all the goodwill I had towards Randy has slowly been eroding over the last few months. I just him gone now.

Id take a Red Bull takeover over another year or so with Lerner.

Edited by Ingram85

Even after a terrible season I've always gone into the next season with at least a little naive blind optimism that we will put the past behind us and move on. This coming season however is filling me with nothing but dread.

Me too. I think it's a fairly widely held outlook, at the moment. Season ticket sales are massively down, there's a general feeling of dismay at the situation. In terms of the takeover, if there's to be one, it's now a case of not worrying about who might takeover, but if anyone will. The current situation is miserable, frankly.

While I don't believe stuff from the Sunday tabloids, it's hard not to feel there's an element of them just reflecting the nature of things, without having an actual clue, either, about any details.

The apparent lack of availability of money for fees or wages presumably as a result of the takeover is alarming. I guess that's the new reality, and it's not pretty.

It's better to be patient about these things. There's no need to believe any of the rags, the so-called ITKs, or to allow a gut feeling to fill you with negative thoughts.

There's plenty of things to focus on over the summer rather than worry about whether we will be taken over and/or whether we'll get relegated next season.

Football isn't played on paper: Hull would have been relegated last season if it was, but they stayed up and had a cup final to enjoy.

Worry when there's something to worry about, but for now relax and see what happens. I'm enjoying the football tournament happening over the other side of the world too much to bother to much about Aston Villa.

• Like 3

I would not be surprised if he we did not hear anything till July/August. Takeovers take a long time to sort out.

I do not believe this sale stuff will go pass September in all honesty. I think Lerner will announce he has sold the club to an individual or group during July/August.

In regards to the sale of the club, if a price is agreed of say 150 mil, as due diligence can take up to 3 months I believe, Could the buyer not have Lerner spend 30 mil (or how ever much) on the squad, with that extra money just been added on to the amount Lerner would be getting? Or does it not work as simple as that...?

I would not be surprised if he we did not hear anything till July/August. Takeovers take a long time to sort out.

I do not believe this sale stuff will go pass September in all honesty. I think Lerner will announce he has sold the club to an individual or group during July/August.

No chance in my opinion, we shall see I guess.