Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

56 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Mixed feelings on this. Fully appreciate you posted this in good faith and with the best of intentions and I respect the sentiment, but he is still alive. Deteriorating of course and I wouldn't want to underplay what he and his family will be going through, it's a very hard transition to make and I wouldn't want to speculate one way or the other over how much life he or anyone else will have left on this spinning orb - but he's not dead. I think a minute of anything before kick-off would be a bit premature and maybe a bit rough for his family and friends, not to mention Sid if he happens to tune in to any coverage of the game. Clear from what Collymore wrote that although he's getting worse, there's still an awareness there. I would say a gesture like this is best kept for a future date when it will be a lot more meaningful and even more sad tbh. Again, without speculating at all.

Totally agree - a minutes silence isn't right, but, given he wore #10 for most of his Villa career, a massive 'there's only one Gordon Cowans' or similar is the best nod IMO.

• Like 2

I heard this news nearly two weeks ago from a good friend of mine who played with Sid🥲. I got to know Sid quite well through my mate.  Best memory was when I was at a barbecue at Kenny Swain’s place.  Sid was on great form with some brilliant stories from his career!  I won’t repeat them on here except one.  Saunders used to put his arm around Sid and my mate on Monday mornings and ask if they were ok!  Wasn’t to check if they were ok but to see if he could smell alcohol on their breath🤣🤣🤣.  Sid was a class act and I’ll never forget or forgive that dirty animal that done his leg😡😡😡. Sid and McMahon would have been some pairing that season!

• Like 1

Played football with his son when I was younger, and him and my old man got quite friendly (which the old man loved, as you can imagine!) Terrible news - too young to have seen him play for us, but by all accounts a fantastic player and a lovely man

Too young to remember him in his pomp, but my Dad would regularly tell me about Sid, unbelievable footballer and by the sounds of it, a great man also. Wishing him and his family the best at a horrible time for them all. 

Damn, he's way too young to be afflicted with dementia. What a tragedy. It's got to be particularly heartbreaking for his family and close friends. Life is just a **** dice roll. 

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Please don't share publicly on VT who that relates to.

Without full context, nothing good can come of it.

I won't be for this very reason. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spot on, @NurembergVillan Exactly how that should be handled. Let it die a quick death. Impossible to know the actual context.

I think there should be more portraits/murals of Villa legends in and around Villa Park, so players (and younger/newer fans) can become more familiar with the faces of Aston Villa heroes.

I regret not having seen Sid play. His stature at the club has been apparent all the while.

When I started following Villa in 1994,  1982 seemed like ancient history. But retrospectively, it was really just around the bend of time. 

So I do feel connected to Sid, through you guys, and I thank you for that. And I wish the absolute best for Sid and his loved ones.

• Like 2

For the younger members of our wonderful family and in this I would include all of us. I can't say Sid has been our greatest post war player because that would be unfair to my dad grandad, great grandad, great great grandad and great great great grandad. Such is our history, post war does It mean post WW2, WW1 the Boer war and Rorke's Drift. It means the Crimea and the charge of the light brigade. Because that's how long we've been around, some players and fans were before sevastebol. 

But he's in the top 3

6 hours ago, AVFCGB said:

I heard this news nearly two weeks ago from a good friend of mine who played with Sid🥲. I got to know Sid quite well through my mate.  Best memory was when I was at a barbecue at Kenny Swain’s place.  Sid was on great form with some brilliant stories from his career!  I won’t repeat them on here except one.  Saunders used to put his arm around Sid and my mate on Monday mornings and ask if they were ok!  Wasn’t to check if they were ok but to see if he could smell alcohol on their breath🤣🤣🤣.  Sid was a class act and I’ll never forget or forgive that dirty animal that done his leg😡😡😡. Sid and McMahon would have been some pairing that season!

I can remember Keith Leonard saying something similar. If Saunders called the players together you could tell the ones that had been drinking, they'd be down tying their bootlaces! 

Bumped into Sid and his son Henry about a year ago now and it was a bit of a shock to see him TBH. I've seen a lot of Dementia and Alzheimer's over the years, both my parents had it and the wife's parents too, but to see someone with it who's only 2 years older than me was an eye opener. 

All the best to him and his family. 

25 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

I lost my dad to this horrible disease. My thoughts go out to him and his family and friends. 

And what a bloody player!

I did too mate. Last words with my dad, he thought I was the doctor

But he died in hospital at 92 years old, with his Villa scarf on the bottom of the bed Holte ender in the sky 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, colhint said:

Maybe as England did to highlight dementia the players could play with no names on the shirt.

Or all play with 10 Cowans on the back of their shirts.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Shocked 1

Â