Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

Oh no. I thought it omenous when I saw this thread on the front page. 

Quite simply my favourite ever Villa player and whilst Jack is still developing Sid is quite simply the most talented player I have ever seen play for Villa, even today his passing accuracy and creativity would stand up with the best in the world. 

My favourite ever Villa related headline was in the fanzine "Missing Sid" when he came home from Italy. It ran the headline "VILLA STAR RUINS FANZINE TITLE" 

It's time this disease was knocked on the head and a cure found. My father in law is going through it right now and it's not pleasant. As his statement says there are some good medications now and hopefully these can keep it in check for him before a cure can be found, I keep reading about potential cures being on the horizon. 

Met him twice, both times in with the fans in the concourse, including the away end at The Baggies and he's been the nicest man you could meet.  An absolute gent and the very definition of a Villa legend. 

• Like 4

Sid used to buy flowers from my dad when he had a flower stall in Sutton coldfield. He got to know him well and persuaded him to write me a short letter whilst I was incarcerated in Borstal. I eventually met him and his partner in Boogies, wine bar.  I told him who I was and he was really respectful about my father. A really decent, approachable man, and, let's not forget, one of the finest passers of a ball to play the game. I would bet that 50 per cent of David Platt's goals were assists from Sid.

A true claret and blue legend. 

• Like 1

Terrible news. He was a Rolls Royce on the pitch. Who could forget his goal v Juventus. I was just a young boy at the time but I can still see him soaring through the air like a salmon. He and Walters were my two first soccer hero’s. To me Sid was what Grealish is to my little boy.

• Like 1

Such a horrible illness. Awful that he has it and it's even worse news that it has struck our Sid so soon.

He was a terrific player, he is a fine club man and he's a very nice bloke. Thinking of Gordon and his family at this difficult time and wishing them well in managing this and in fighting it, in the coming years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Genuinely shocked.  

One of the greatest passers to play the game - ever. Loved his tackling for such a slight guy.

Hope it plays out well for him.

Exactly this. For a lad who probably weighed no more than 10 stone, his tackling capabilities were awesome. He'd almost launch (fairly) in to a tackle and emerge with the ball, taken from players bigger and thicker set than Sid

5 hours ago, meregreen said:

Saw him make his debut, I think he was about 17. Saw immediately he was a talent. Stay strong Sid.

Me too, with Brian Little my all time fav villa player. Watched him at youth level too his close ball control was a class above the rest. HAd a great range of pass with both feet. The complete two footed player. Not many players have two successful careers at one club but he helped make David platt an England international.

Very saddened to hear this. Normally happens to older Ex footballers not a 61 year old 

I don't comment much any more, but had to write something here.

It's hard to believe that a player of such natural ability had such an illustrious career when we consider his leg was snapped in two in his prime. I saw him carried off with just his sock holding his foot to the rest of him, thinking he'll never play again. But Sid was better than that and proper footballers come back and adapt. We were privileged to have him and he epitomised an era of Villa greatness. The best footballer we've ever had, first name on the sheet. Good luck with the battle Sid, you've never shied away before, it ain't going to happen now. xxx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Awful news.

Sadly my mother has just been diagnosed too at the age of 70, having already lost my grandad to it after a 10 year gradual decay. 

it’s a brutal and undignified illness, which I wouldn’t wish upon anyone.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
Â