Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

Thought it's about time he had his own thread.

I never really got to see him a player (his last season in the 90's I don't think he played much). I her he was a fantastic passer of the ball.

So he has been in and around the coaching set up for a long time. What's his style?

Seen it elsewhere that he appeared 527 times for us ? - thats not correct surley ?

Haven't checked the precise figures but I think that is about right.

He started playing in the first team when he was 17 and still an apprentice, and played pretty much continuously until the summer of 1983 when he broke his leg.  He then went off to play for Bari for a couple of seasons  but GT Mk1 bought him back in 1988 and he was a regular first teamer from then until 1991, when he went to Blackburn. He even came back after that in 1993! But that was less successful and he only played a few matches before leaving again (for Wolves, I think?)

So that's how you can clock up over 500 appearances for one club. Start young and return often.  :)

Edit - sorry, he started in the first team in 1976. Meant to say that first time.

Edited by briny_ear

Was an apprentice at Villa. His dad was employed by the club as "kit man"

As markavfc40 says-The most gifted player I've seen in a Villa shirt.

Was just nine & a half stone when he made his debut at 17. This, back in the 70's where the game was so much more physical & proper players like Sid did not get the protection from refs that players today do.

Always thought the nickname "Sid" (as in Sid Viscious) came from his demeanour and looks on the pitch but someone told me recently it came about when another youth team player (Mickey Butress) collected all the teams passports prior to a European tour & discovered Gordons middle name was "Sid" & the name stuck from then. Not sure of the authenticity of that story but it seems Mickey Butresses claim to fame (as well as playing in the 5-1 defeat of Liverpool)

I think I'm right in saying (maybe wrong) that one year David Platt said that his ambition for the season was to make a run that Sid didn't see.

I may well have dreamt that, I'm sure someone with a better memory than me can confirm/rubbish that.

I think I'm right in saying (maybe wrong) that one year David Platt said that his ambition for the season was to make a run that Sid didn't see.

I may well have dreamt that, I'm sure someone with a better memory than me can confirm/rubbish that.

You're 100% spot on there.

I am struggling to think of any other player that could be put even close to Sid when it comes to being "Mr Aston Villa"

The fact that he was such a effortless player and had a hand in some of the greatest parts of the clubs recent history just adds to his legacy 

Â