Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

Sad news again. Such a nice bloke, great company and what a player! He's a fighter though and I wish him well in this battle. My thoughts are with him and with his family, as they continue to face this cruel illness. Like many of us, I lost a member of my family to this, but my Nan fought it for a couple of years and had her moments of clarity even near the end. Keep fighting Gordon, we are all thinking of you and wishing you the very best. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Great player and I'm sure he's a great bloke as well. With plenty of years ahead of him, wherever he is he'll undoubtedly continue to kick the shit out life, with both feet. ALB Sid.

Edited by tinker
  • Like 2

Well this has put a real downer on my day. Unquestionably my favourite ever player. Thoughts go out to him and his family. 

Poor old Sid. One of, if not, our greatest midfielders. He knew my Old Man personally as he used to sell him flowers from his stall outside the Dog in Sutton. I remember seeing him with his girlfriend in Boogies wine bar back in the day and using my Dad's name to have a chat with him and he couldn't have been more affable. 

I also played football against his brother, Vince, when we were kids. 

It really is sad to hear. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Played football with his son when I was younger, and him and my old man got quite friendly (which the old man loved, as you can imagine!) Terrible news - too young to have seen him play for us, but by all accounts a fantastic player and a lovely man

Thank you for sharing and yes you are right , Sid was awesome 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, colhint said:

For the younger members of our wonderful family and in this I would include all of us. I can't say Sid has been our greatest post war player because that would be unfair to my dad grandad, great grandad, great great grandad and great great great grandad. Such is our history, post war does It mean post WW2, WW1 the Boer war and Rorke's Drift. It means the Crimea and the charge of the light brigade. Because that's how long we've been around, some players and fans were before sevastebol. 

But he's in the top 3

You know what - Sid is not our greatest post war player, this is Paul, who is also our greatest ever player imo - but just to even have Sid in the conversation, just shows how highly we think of him.

Absolute Villa legend - just does not even do justice to Sid.

Don't know whats happened but Is it too late for sid to be given this new drug which slows the rate of dementia down? I know it's only effective if given in the early stages. 

21 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I did too mate. Last words with my dad, he thought I was the doctor

But he died in hospital at 92 years old, with his Villa scarf on the bottom of the bed Holte ender in the sky 

Bless you mate. I was lucky, my dad used to think I was his brother (who'd died years before), so I figure at least he was seeing a familiar face rather than thinking I was a total stranger in his house

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PaulC said:

Don't know whats happened but Is it too late for sid to be given this new drug which slows the rate of dementia down? I know it's only effective if given in the early stages. 

I get why folk wanna slow the deterioration down, but having watched both my folks suffer from different versions of it they wouldn't have wanted it... like the current advertising suggests, they die over and over again.. and the effect it has on their loved ones is irreversible

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I get why folk wanna slow the deterioration down, but having watched both my folks suffer from different versions of it they wouldn't have wanted it... like the current advertising suggests, they die over and over again.. and the effect it has on their loved ones is irreversible

Yes I understand that, hopefully they will find a complete cure one day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

it wouldnt let me put in the entire image in the tweet 

This "Manager" of ours! Every word is considered and leaves you with a feeling of nothing but PASSION AND PRIDE. 

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My story of meeting him...

I booked tickets to see Merson do an after dinner speech at VP 15 odd years ago, I bought 2 tickets thinking I'd flog the 2nd one easy but no one wanted it, hell or high water no one wanted it, I said **** it and took my QPR supporting mom even my missus at the time didn't want to go, ended up that my mom was sat next to Sid at the dinner, I obviously knew he was, my mom was was oblivious to him,she spent over an hour just chatting away to him like he's a completely normal bloke off the street like he's the office worker sat next to me, they're getting on like a house on fire both having a great time, he's working the table everyone's got a smile, he's chatting to all 12 of us genuinely interested what the crack is, football non football nicest guy you'll ever meet, it's only after about 3 hours in when someone asks a loaded question over gabby in training that my mom turns to me and says to me hang on who's this I'm sat next to that I have to tell her arguably villas greatest ever player, just another guy chatting away smiling one of the friendliest people you could ever want to meet 

I met him in the away end at The Hawthorns. Told him he was my absolute idol. 

Informed him my nickname on Internet forums was Sidcow because of him. 

He just said "I don't know anything about that stuff" 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â