Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

The not a quick fix thing is why Laudrup is a terrible idea. Why do he quit/get sacked after a season and a half at every job he had. Because he obviously don't like and can't handle it when the going gets tough. I can go on but Ive discussed Laudrup before here. He is not a good idea.

Yes this is why I wouldn't want him either. Not long-term enough and always seems to be priming himself for a bigger club.

So why on earth were you attacking for me not rating him then?!

I was hardly "attacking" you. I merely objected to your dubious conclusion that he hadn't "cut-it" at any club since Brondby. As you can see from the post you responded to, my reasons for not wanting him to succeed Lambert are seperate to that which we were in dispute about.

Edit: I don't get your surprise anyway as I made it clear in my initial reply that I wasn't championing Laudrup to us:

Not that I'm advocating hiring him but how exactly did he not "cut it" at Getafe and Mallorca?

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Having looked at the list of credible replacements for Lambert I'm more convinced than I was before that he should stay unless we are taken over. Dreadful, dreadful list of people who I think would do even worse given Lerner's restrictions. The only man I would take ahead of Lambert is Moyes. Di Matteo, Klinsmann, Laudrup, Mackay?? No way.

I don't get this line of thinking. Just because you (and the bookies) can't come up with candidates beyond the most obvious suspects, doesn't mean that they are the only ones available to us.

I don't get your thinking. Who could we attract under the present owners? You don't know either. 

I do feel that we'd be down already with this squad under most managers. The change has to come higher than Lambert. 

Why ask a question then answer it on my behalf?

As I say, the fact that your depth of football knowledge prevents you from coming up with candidates beyond those listed by the bookies, this doesn't make them the only options out there and thus doesn't support your strawman that Lambert should stay as a result of this.

Edited by Isa

Ultimately it's a silly question as too many factors are in play. Will we have the same owner next year? Will the current one invest? Etc. I'm not one bit happy with Lambert but feel the constraints he's been under haven't helped. This year especially signings and injuries have hampered us. I feel he deserves a go with money but if he did go I wouldn't be to bothered. If we don't get a new owner I'd go for Eddie Howe as he seems to get his teams play to play football If Lerner invests I'd keep Lambert. If we got millions for a new owner I'd try for Simeone who I don't think will be able to repeat this years success as his team will get ripped apart by the big guns. realistic? money talks!!

I was hardly "attacking" you. I merely objected to your dubious conclusion that he hadn't "cut-it" at any club since Brondby. As you can see from the post you responded to, my reasons for not wanting him to succeed Lambert are seperate to that which we were in dispute about.

Edit: I don't get your surprise anyway as I made it clear in my initial reply that I wasn't championing Laudrup to us:

Not that I'm advocating hiring him but how exactly did he not "cut it" at Getafe and Mallorca?

I'm surprised because you were defending him.

You call my claim dubious yet your evidence to support him is just that plus you dont even rate him enough to be our manager.

To be honest, I think you were being argumentative for the sake of it.

We have to be realistic about who would join the Club, Moyes is a good Manager despite the criticism he is getting and he has a point to prove, He would do a good job at Villa imo with or without new owners. He will however get plenty of job offers starting with Newcastle and maybe West Ham 

yep moyes would be good in my view but i think only way we will get him if we get taken over he wont want to work under these crap conditions lerner has us in

i would not say no to poyet, i think he has done a terrific job at sunderland after the mess they were in

Young up and comer with an actual philosophy for the entire club, someone who would be grateful to get the job and not the other way around. I'd take midtable obscurity for the next 5 seasons if it meant i could enjoy watching Villa and actually get up on a saturday and be genuinely excited were playing. Can't remember the last time i was.

I thought Lambert was that man when we hired him.

If we get taken over and if they don't want to back Lambert, then we should be looking at someone like Montella before he gets a break at a big club in Italy. He might come if he knew he'd be backed heavily in the transfer market too.

As I say, the fact that your depth of football knowledge prevents you from coming up with candidates beyond those listed by the bookies, this doesn't make them the only options out there and thus doesn't support your strawman that Lambert should stay as a result of this.

Who is your suggestion then? Because I if don't know and you don't know then what on earth, on the basis of the last 4 years, makes you think Faulkner and Lerner will? 

There are good managers out there. I can think of plenty. Few would want to come and work with Lerner under present restrictions.

I'm surprised because you were defending him.

You call my claim dubious yet your evidence to support him is just that plus you dont even rate him enough to be our manager.

To be honest, I think you were being argumentative for the sake of it.

Nothing to do with being "argumentative". You made a claim that I disagreed with so I challenged it. That's how forums like this work. I don't have to therefore want the manager in question hired here as a pre-condition to qualify me to do this.

Also, where did I say that I "don't rate him"? If you bothered to read the post you decided to respond to, you will have seen the reasons I gave for not believing that he is the correct fit for us.

Said it before but if we had a buy out I think Jorge Sampioli would be a great shout for us.

Good write up here about his credentials.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1894861-tighes-2014-world-cup-tactics-board-analysing-jorge-sampaolis-chile

Yes it would be a risk as he hasn't been in Europe. But this world cup may be Chile's best chance of a top placing finish, as it is their home continent and they will be used to the heat. He may want a new challenge afterwards. He is a known disciple of Bielsa and will bring about attacking qualities.

• Like 1

Who is your suggestion then? Because I if don't know and you don't know then what on earth, on the basis of the last 4 years, makes you think Faulkner and Lerner will? 

There are good managers out there. I can think of plenty. Few would want to come and work with Lerner under present restrictions.

There you go again asking me a question then assuming the answer. I can think of quite a few that I believe would work under the current conditions. If Malaga can hire Bernd Schuster, then we can very much do better than Paul Lambert. Ronald Koeman is my choice though.

There you go again asking me a question then assuming the answer. I can think of quite a few that I believe would work under the current conditions. If Malaga can hire Bernd Schuster, then we can very much do better than Paul Lambert. Ronald Koeman is my choice though.

Malaga that was in last year Champions League and Schuster who is not really that great a manager. be like Villa hiring Roy Keane