Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I'd have no objections to bringing in Michael Laudrup as our manager, if we got taken over.

At his peak he was considered on of the best midfielders in the world. World Class.

In his first season in the PL, he won the league cup.

He's really not a good manager at all. He's a big name and the players rally around that for a little while but when push comes to shove, the fact that he doesn't bother turning up for training or tactics etc, results taper off and he's shown to be poor at what he does. Same as Keegan. 

Are you basing that on his last season at Swansea? True he had a bad spell and got sacked, but he did enjoy a very successful first season, finishing 8th and the winning the league cup. I think, ultimately, the injury to Michu probably cost him his job, as did playing in Europe.

Just like any manager, it's a gamble but he's also got an eye to spot talent - he bought some very good players to Swansea including Michu for only 2.5m euros, Pablo Hernandez, De Guzman, and Ki on loan and Bony, who is tearing up the league right now.

He's just a name for the hat in case Lambert gets sacked. Only reason I mentioned him is because he's available and might be interested if he had a good amount of money to spend on players. We're quite limited to who we can attract to the club in the current situation - it's a massive mess at the moment. We need someone to install a new type of philosophy at the club, and change the way we play football, which he has done at his previous clubs.

• Like 1

Yea but the fact that he was a world class player is completely irrelevant when talking about managerial ability

I don't believe I said otherwise.

I didn't say you did if you want to take it down that road. Pathetic really.

Bloody hell! Some people really do look for arguments that aren't there.

• Like 1

I'd have no objections to bringing in Michael Laudrup as our manager, if we got taken over.

At his peak he was considered on of the best midfielders in the world. World Class.

In his first season in the PL, he won the league cup.

He's really not a good manager at all. He's a big name and the players rally around that for a little while but when push comes to shove, the fact that he doesn't bother turning up for training or tactics etc, results taper off and he's shown to be poor at what he does. Same as Keegan. 

Are you basing that on his last season at Swansea? True he had a bad spell and got sacked, but he did enjoy a very successful first season, finishing 8th and the winning the league cup. I think, ultimately, the injury to Michu probably cost him his job, as did playing in Europe.

Just like any manager, it's a gamble but he's also got an eye to spot talent - he bought some very good players to Swansea including Michu for only 2.5m euros, Pablo Hernandez, De Guzman, and Ki on loan and Bony, who is tearing up the league right now.

He's just a name for the hat in case Lambert gets sacked. Only reason I mentioned him is because he's available and might be interested if he had a good amount of money to spend on players. We're quite limited to who we can attract to the club in the current situation - it's a massive mess at the moment. We need someone to install a new type of philosophy at the club, and change the way we play football, which he has done at his previous clubs.

He didn't cut it at any clubs except Brondby prior to that and he ultimately failed at Swansea too. He's not a good manager and I think would be a terrible appointment. 

He didn't cut it at any clubs except Brondby prior to that and he ultimately failed at Swansea too. He's not a good manager and I think would be a terrible appointment.

Not that I'm advocating hiring him but how exactly did he not "cut it" at Getafe and Mallorca?

Not that I'm advocating hiring him but how exactly did he not "cut it" at Getafe and Mallorca?

Lasted one season at Getafe and they finished 14th. 

Lasted one season at Mallorca and they finished 17th. 

Would you say that's cutting it? 

At Getafe he got them to the Copa Del Ray final, and the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup, being eliminated by Bayern Munich. In that season Getafe beat Real Madrid and Barcelona in the league.

At Mallorca, the club was fecked. They started selling all his star players because they were messed up financially. They sacked his assistant and then it was all downhill from there.

Lasted one season at Getafe and they finished 14th. 

Lasted one season at Mallorca and they finished 17th. 

Would you say that's cutting it?

Oh ok, so you basically just looked at the league table without bothering to understand the situations of either club. Getafe are a modest mid-table club anyway and he led them to the Copa Del Rey final and UEFA cup quarter finals. Mallorca were in a terrible financial state and it is widely accepted that he did well to keep them in the division that season.

Your league standing and the trophies you win are really the only things that matter. 

We're apparently in a shitty financial situation and Lambert will just about keep us up, what's the difference?

He's not a good manager, just accept it. 

If lambert does actually get sacked at the end of the season the guy to replace him will be dependant on who actually owns the club and how much money there will be to spend. If randy stays and sacks lambert I honestly don't know what manager in their right mind would want to manage us as we must be one of the most difficult teams to manage in the prem. If that scenario does arise we would most liekly end up with a manager from a lower league trying to make a name for himself with no real accollades to his name.

I would personally like for us to hire a manager who brings an exciting brand of football to the club and has the money to achieve that also maybe he could get rid of this weak mentality that has been shrouded in villa teams for years. Top 6 would be lovely but more importantly I would like to see our team make villa park a fortress and a difficult place to visit and not a walk in the park.

At Getafe he got them to the Copa Del Ray final, and the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup, being eliminated by Bayern Munich. In that season Getafe beat Real Madrid and Barcelona in the league.

At Mallorca, the club was fecked. They started selling all his star players because they were messed up financially. They sacked his assistant and then it was all downhill from there.

1) So what? He didn't win anything and they still finished 14th - they finished 9th the previous season. Lambert managed to beat Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea this year - does that make him good?

2) Sound familiar? 17th is still no great shakes regardless. 

Your league standing and the trophies you win are really the only things that matter. 

We're apparently in a shitty financial situation and Lambert will just about keep us up, what's the difference?

He's not a good manager, just accept it.

If you are trying to compare the situation at Mallorca with the one here then you clearly have no real knowledge of what you are talking about.

• Like 3

If Randy stays I think our best hope is Moyes. He wouldn't be a bad choice whoever owns the club but I can understand that people want a change in footballing philosophy. That said I don't think Moyes's football is as bad as some people make out.

Looking forward to seeing how we shape up over the summer.

Sounds familiar to our situation, he won't be able to sort this mess out!

1) So what? He didn't win anything and they still finished 14th - they finished 9th the previous season. Lambert managed to beat Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea this year - does that make him good?

2) Sound familiar? 17th is still no great shakes regardless. 

OK, so you just want to discredit those stints in his career - what about leading Swansea to their best ever season in PL history then?

Sounds familiar to our situation, he won't be able to sort this mess out!

Their situation was much worse - it got so bad that Laudrup nearly didn't have any attacking players at his disposal because the club sold them all.