Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Littlefinger is up and down acting wise.

But Theon has been great pretty much the whole way through.

problem with Littlefinger is his accent, its all over the place at times that you feel he is in a panto

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I'm pretty sure there will be other important stuff that will need to be discovered by Sam while he's at The Citadel.

Or at least discovered by somebody in Oldtown while he's at The Citadel

Well he's curing boring old jorah to start with

57 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Well he's curing boring old jorah to start with

On the assumption that it's obviously going to work, it's a bit surprising that "cut the bad bits off and put a bit of Savlon on it" hasn't been given more of a chance in the research stage for a supposedly incurable disease.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

I know who Ed Sheeran is, in the sense that if 'what is Ed Sheeran famous for' was a pub quiz question, I could have answered that he's a pop-star type with a guitar. But I didn't actually know what he looked like, or have any idea that he was going to be in a cameo until I read about it afterwards on here, so I didn't recognise him in the show and for me that scene was just a bit confusing and pointless, but not irritating. 

The whole thing does feel very rushed now. Euron has gone from mysterious murderer in the shadows, to gurning twit, to pirate commander extraordinaire, in about five scenes. I've never read the books, so I'm sure this makes more sense for others, but it was sure confusing for me. 

I have never noticed anything with Littlefinger's accent. I'm almost never irritated by accents. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

A guy in my office is one of these types who watches the episode, says he's not going to tell you any spoilers, and then tells you stuff that he thinks isn't a spoiler but actually is.

So the attack on the fleet, and Theon bailing was not a surprise for me :( 

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

On the assumption that it's obviously going to work, it's a bit surprising that "cut the bad bits off and put a bit of Savlon on it" hasn't been given more of a chance in the research stage for a supposedly incurable disease.

I think it's a paste made of dragon glass

the problem now is it's creating a predictable storyline, he'll ride in and save his khalesi probably dying a valiant death redeeming himself, theon is going to ride in save his sister probably dying a valiant death redeeming himself...

there's a fair bit of screen time given to day 1 characters who's arc isn't that interesting whereas some potentially great characters are left underdeveloped, that's not issue created this series though it's been happening for the last couple

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the problem now is it's creating a predictable storyline, he'll ride in and save his khalesi probably dying a valiant death redeeming himself, theon is going to ride in save his sister probably dying a valiant death redeeming himself...

there's a fair bit of screen time given to day 1 characters who's arc isn't that interesting whereas some potentially great characters are left underdeveloped, that's not issue created this series though it's been happening for the last couple

Every season since they stopped following the books has been rather formulaic and poorly written. Now I love the show, but Game of Thrones Seasons 1 - 5 are vastly better than Seasons 6 and so-far 7 which is a shame as the show deserves better.

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sam will get kicked out of the Citidel for performing a banned procedure. Jorah will want to go find Khalesi.  Sam will want to go to Dragonstone to get Dragonglass for John. Jorah takes Sam to Dragonstone as a thank you for curing him. What a surprise, Khalesi and John are both there, and Jorah and Sam will be key for them to work together. 

• Like 2

I've really enjoyed these past two episodes but I agree with what others have said about it becoming slightly more formulaic and having lots of clunky exposition. Also, if I'm being really nitpicky, then I'm disappointed with Jim Broadbent's character. It's such a cliche. He's the type of annoying, obstructive word removed we've seen before in this and countless other shows. Unless there's a big surprise in store then it's a waste of an awesome actor. 

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Every season since they stopped following the books has been rather formulaic and poorly written. Now I love the show, but Game of Thrones Seasons 1 - 5 are vastly better than Seasons 6 and so-far 7 which is a shame as the show deserves better.

I disagree.

Season 1-3 yes. But seasons 4 and 5 were dull. Really dull in places.

And less dull than the corresponding books, in fairness. 

The novels get worse with each one. The first couple are brilliant, but by the time it gets to ADWD... **** me that's dull. 

Edited by Davkaus

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree.

Season 1-3 yes. But seasons 4 and 5 were dull. Really dull in places.

Dull maybe, but well written yes. The show was merely following the books at that point which were also pretty dull. The actual plot and the story within was well done which more than I can say for Season 6 and 7 so-far.

5 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Dull maybe, but well written yes. The show was merely following the books at that point which were also pretty dull. The actual plot and the story within was well done which more than I can say for Season 6 and 7 so-far.

I think the TV show has lost the premise of the books at this point to be fair. The books may be slow but they do a lot of world building, similar to something like Lord of the Rings. The TV show probably suffered for trying to stick to the books a bit too much and has now become a much faster paced show than in previous series but has lost a lot of its depth (characters such as Euron not really being given a back story etc.).

Does this make it a better TV show? Probably yes for most people. Its been more exciting for the last series and the start of this one. I think I preferred having characters who I cared about though. The newer characters (Sand Snakes, Euron, Yara Greyjoy etc.) have not had the time given to them to make me care as much. It does mean that there'll be plenty worth waiting for in the books though (if they ever come out!).

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

And less dull than the corresponding books, in fairness. 

The novels get worse with each one. The first couple are brilliant, but by the time it gets to ADWD... **** me that's dull. 

ADWD > AFFC

This episode added fire to my theory about Sam and the whole story of the show.

Essentially i think GoT is all set in the past, and we are being told the story of what happened - rather than an active, present tense narrative. In particular i think the story/history is told/written by Sam . Sounds a bit far fetched but bare with me.

• Firstly, Sam is currently studying at Oldtown, and in that huge library with all the books is an odd contraption hanging from the sealing - upon closer look you actually realise it is the 3d map thingy that they use in the opening credits (link http://uk.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-astrolabe-title-sequence-2016-6?r=US&IR=T)
  • Secondly, in last nights episode the grand maester was getting Sam's to pick books to help him write the recent history of events following Robert's death. I reckon Sam ends up writing it himself, he even suggests it needs a more poetic name....something like 'A Game of Thrones' perhaps? ( or a Song of Fire and Ice if you're a fan of the books)
  • Explains why characters disappear for great lengths of time with no explanation of where they've been - no one knows, or the people that did are dead. Sam can't write what he doesnt know.
  • Explains how there are seeming mystical stories, which don't tie in to the more Gritty reality of Westeros. These are legends/rumours that have become folklore of Westeros - (Think Magic baby shadow assassins, leeches in the fire, the Zombie Mountian soldier, the un-killable Dondarion)
  • Could be why House Stark seem to be the 'good guys', and Jon in particular is the hero. Don't get me wrong, i like Jon and the Starks - but they are very much played up as the heroes of the story - whereas every other house has multiple flaws.

Obviously not a groundbreaking theory, or have any impact on the actual story itself, but i think its kinda cool. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Gillz said:

This episode added fire to my theory about Sam and the whole story of the show.

Essentially i think GoT is all set in the past, and we are being told the story of what happened - rather than an active, present tense narrative. In particular i think the story/history is told/written by Sam . Sounds a bit far fetched but bare with me.

• Firstly, Sam is currently studying at Oldtown, and in that huge library with all the books is an odd contraption hanging from the sealing - upon closer look you actually realise it is the 3d map thingy that they use in the opening credits (link http://uk.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-astrolabe-title-sequence-2016-6?r=US&IR=T)
  • Secondly, in last nights episode the grand maester was getting Sam's to pick books to help him write the recent history of events following Robert's death. I reckon Sam ends up writing it himself, he even suggests it needs a more poetic name....something like 'A Game of Thrones' perhaps? ( or a Song of Fire and Ice if you're a fan of the books)
  • Explains why characters disappear for great lengths of time with no explanation of where they've been - no one knows, or the people that did are dead. Sam can't write what he doesnt know.
  • Explains how there are seeming mystical stories, which don't tie in to the more Gritty reality of Westeros. These are legends/rumours that have become folklore of Westeros - (Think Magic baby shadow assassins, leeches in the fire, the Zombie Mountian soldier, the un-killable Dondarion)
  • Could be why House Stark seem to be the 'good guys', and Jon in particular is the hero. Don't get me wrong, i like Jon and the Starks - but they are very much played up as the heroes of the story - whereas every other house has multiple flaws.

Obviously not a groundbreaking theory, or have any impact on the actual story itself, but i think its kinda cool. 

But Sam sent a raven to Jon letting him know about the mountain of dragon glass under Dragonstone.

EDIT : Yes it would be kind of cool indeed, but I don't see it myself.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it would be incredibly tolkienesque which is something i think martin would absolutely hate

I'm not so sure about that.

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2015/11/george-r-r-martin-my-ending-will-reflect-the-lord-of-the-rings/

"We all yearn for happy endings in a sense. Myself, I’m attracted to the bittersweet ending. People ask me how Game of Thrones is gonna end, and I’m not gonna tell them … but I always say to expect something bittersweet in the end, like [J.R.R. Tolkien]. I think Tolkien did this brilliantly. I didn’t understand that when I was a kid — when I read Return of the King."

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

But Sam sent a raven to Jon letting him know about the mountain of dragon glass under Dragonstone.

EDIT : Yes it would be kind of cool indeed, but I don't see it myself.

I dont get how this would disprove the theory.

Sam still did all the things he has said and done...just that it was all in the past and he's recorded them down in an epic tale.

Â