Missing planes

tonyh29

What goes through your mind when you're the passenger and start a descent like this? Truly terrifying.

9781A0B0-4094-4689-9018-A3ECCE9A00AA_zps

Didn't they say it wasn't a completely abnormal rate of descent.  I think the site of the pilot desperately banging on the door will have initially started the panic.

What goes through your mind when you're the passenger and start a descent like this? Truly terrifying.

Didn't they say it wasn't a completely abnormal rate of descent.  I think the site of the pilot desperately banging on the door will have initially started the panic.

you'd have noticed the plane descending I would have thought , visually (unless it was really cloudy \ foggy) and the ears popping .. not to mention the angle of the plane

like the other one though ..how the heck do you just sit there in the cockpit knowingly killing yourself and everyone on board ... you've got 9 minutes to rethink ( 4 or 5 hours in the case of MH370) and the sight of a huge great mountain homing into view must also give you second thoughts ... and if your state of mind is that far gone that you don't have second thoughts , how the heck did nobody notice 

This world is utterly senseless at times. It's hard to get your head around somebody doing this, there is very little you can do to guard against somebody just going nuts.

Agreed.

The only thing to consider is that threat of someone going nuts is present everywhere, not just on a plane.

Someone could go nuts and axe you down in the street for no reason.

Pretty rich coming from me though. I hate flying!

In a way it has relaxed my renewed fear of flying because it was nothing to do with the plane.

Hit pretty close to home with it being German and the fact that German things don't tend to break.

Still an awful tragedy though, even more so considering how avoidable it was.

Edited by Wainy316

Iris/fingerprint recognition systems would seem a fairly sensible (but quite pricey to implement) way forward?

Movies have taught me that these appendages could be removed to bypass such a system. So probably not a good idea.

• Like 1

This world is utterly senseless at times. It's hard to get your head around somebody doing this, there is very little you can do to guard against somebody just going nuts.

Agreed.

The only thing to consider is that threat of someone going nuts is present everywhere, not just on a plane.

I quite like flying, take off and landing anyway, the bit in between is normally shit and boring. I have to say I never realised the pilot left the cockpit to use the loo, I assumed they had their own one. But you're right, it's just very unlucky for those on board, there really is nothing you can do against someone willing to kill like this, whether it's in an aeroplane or anywhere.

If we are doing amateur solutions to complex problems what about a toilet inside the cockpit? Then they never have to leave during the flight.

Also couldn't Palestine and Israel just do timeshare in Jerusalem?

Edited by villaglint

The seat in front?

Too soon?

I did expect such a response once I'd posted it. Thanks for not letting me down :)

• Like 1

Agreed.

I quite like flying, take off and landing anyway, the bit in between is normally shit and boring. I have to say I never realised the pilot left the cockpit to use the loo, I assumed they had their own one. But you're right, it's just very unlucky for those on board, there really is nothing you can do against someone willing to kill like this, whether it's in an aeroplane or anywhere.

I'm the opposite.

Once we're cruising I'm fine.

It's the take off and landing that shits me up. Take off more than landing.

I've just ordered this book as I'm fed the **** up of being scared of flying. Someone here recommended it so I'm hoping it works

9780717147434_full.jpg

You just can't account for it unfortunately, unless the pilots are told to go to the toilet before they fly, but then they could be flying for 18 hours at any one time..

Just got to hope its a one off.

I've started to hate flying in the last few years due to all the accidents/crashes.

Taking off is probably the worst part for me. I've become a bit more nervous with a lot of things since having a daughter, if it was just me on my own I'd probably be fine.

Agreed.

I'm the opposite.

I've just ordered this book as I'm fed the **** up of being scared of flying. Someone here recommended it so I'm hoping it works

9780717147434_full.jpg

You should look into the Flying without fear programmes that are available. You have an introduction to what happens on a typical flight from experienced pilots and cabin crew. They explain all the safety aspects involved and how planes are designed, built, maintained and operated. They explain all the noises and bumps and such like you may experience. Then you go for a short flight and everything that is happening is explained thoroughly. They have a pretty good success rate at taking the stress out of flying.

Unfortunately there was one such flight recently from Birmingham that got struck by lightning and had some damage to the aircraft occur. I'm guessing that one didn't work quite as well.

On the subject of pilot suicide i'm afraid if someone is hell bent on that course of action there is very little that can be done. to stop them. I wonder how many flights this guy has made thinking today is the day and has just been waiting for the right opportunity to come along. Just waiting for that one time when the captain needed to use the toilet. Scary thought for anybody who has been on a flight recently with this guy up front. 

A couple of days ago on a railway forum I go on someone asked the question about how easy would it be for a train driver to deliberately crash a train and I thought at the time probably as easier than a pilot being able to crash a plane 

the 144 passengers only realised at the last moment what was happening. Screams were only heard in the last moments of the recording, before impact. Mr Robin said: "We only hear screams at the very end. Death was instant. It hit the mountain at 700km (430mph) an hour."

Agreed.

I'm the opposite.

9780717147434_full.jpg

You should look into the Flying without fear programmes that are available. You have an introduction to what happens on a typical flight from experienced pilots and cabin crew. They explain all the safety aspects involved and how planes are designed, built, maintained and operated. They explain all the noises and bumps and such like you may experience. Then you go for a short flight and everything that is happening is explained thoroughly. They have a pretty good success rate at taking the stress out of flying.

Unfortunately there was one such flight recently from Birmingham that got struck by lightning and had some damage to the aircraft occur. I'm guessing that one didn't work quite as well.

I'm not petrified or anything. it just makes me nervous. But I feel like it's getting worse so I want to nip it in the bud.

Â