Missing planes

tonyh29

Awful. It seems that there has been a load in the last 18 months or so, but I'm sure its no more than any other time in history. I think it's because they are more recognisable carriers, if that makes sense? Germawings, Air Asia and Malaysia (x2) - most people on here have probably flown with them at some point.

its not that their more recognisable carriers its that news is more global and 24 hour news makes it easier to get the news as well especially with Twitter etc.

It's not just that, it's also the sheer numbers of planes in the sky these days.

The odds of a crash are probably as low as ever but we are rolling thousands of dice every day around the world. Just take a look at flight radar, it's pretty staggering how many are in the air all day every day

Talking of Air Asia did they ever come out and say what caused the crash ?

It's not really made me change my mind about flying but my recent 2 near misses and these seemingly more frequent crashes of late does make me start to think I should get a new hobby

What were your near misses Tony?

It's not really made me change my mind about flying but my recent 2 near misses and these seemingly more frequent crashes of late does make me start to think I should get a new hobby

Cockpit fire over the channel and we had to turn back whilst the pilot flew with a few instruments down ( mainly the only difficulty was level flight but as he lost the horizon instrument we initially dropped down from above the clouds quite lively so the could fly visually and you could smell the smoke from the cockpit at the same time )and then the other one the pilot aborted take off due to one of the emergency doors not arming and we had an engine fire as we taxied back to stand .. Turned out to be a leaking oil seal or something ... I still wonder what would have happened had we actually taken off and had the flame out , I know planes can fly on one engine but I don't know if they can take off on one engine. ?

Neither what I guess you'd call life threatening in the scale of things so maybe near misses made it sound more dramatic than it really was ...

Take one look at flight radar and the sheer amount of flights on there at any one time. Pick one flight on there and watch it to see if it goes down. That's the same odds you face every time you get on a plane, ie. Not very likely at all.

Ps. I hate flying

• Like 1

Cockpit fire over the channel and we had to turn back whilst the pilot flew with a few instruments down ( mainly the only difficulty was level flight but as he lost the horizon instrument we initially dropped down from above the clouds quite lively so the could fly visually and you could smell the smoke from the cockpit at the same time )and then the other one the pilot aborted take off due to one of the emergency doors not arming and we had an engine fire as we taxied back to stand .. Turned out to be a leaking oil seal or something ... I still wonder what would have happened had we actually taken off and had the flame out , I know planes can fly on one engine but I don't know if they can take off on one engine. ?

Neither what I guess you'd call life threatening in the scale of things so maybe near misses made it sound more dramatic than it really was ...

Both sound pretty damn scary to me!! I wouldn't have gotten back onto a plane....

that's 2 pilot \ co pilot suicides in a year with MH370  ..  ( although it's nothing new as Egypt air and Silk air also suffered similar fates off the top of my head )

but I wonder how long before they start looking to install over-ride features into the planes ? ..if that's even possible ?  not just for pilot suicides but Air France was pilot error that possibly could have been over ridden as they tried to climb whilst stalled instead of putting the nose down to regain control

Suicide?

If so such a selfish way of doing it taking down an entire plane full of innocents with their whole lives ahead of them in the process is disgusting

it could easily be seen as selfish, unfortunately, it's also got to be some form of mental illness

Or a way of guaranteeing access to the cockpit for the pilot should he leave.  A key code or something.

if there's any way of getting in, we are back to square one with terrorists getting in

Or a way of guaranteeing access to the cockpit for the pilot should he leave.  A key code or something.

I've been on lots of flights where they have a key pad ( on one flight i even saw what the code was as the stewardess punched it in and did a crap job of hiding it .. I was tempted to enter and say your security sucks , but figured it may be more trouble than it was worth in the long run :) )  ... but maybe it requires both to get in ? keypad and then cockpit confirmation

if there's any way of getting in, we are back to square one with terrorists getting in

A keycode known only to the pilot and co-pilot?

I've been on lots of flights where they have a key pad ( on one flight i even saw what the code was as the stewardess punched it in and did a crap job of hiding it .. I was tempted to enter and say your security sucks , but figured it may be more trouble than it was worth in the long run :) )  ... but maybe it requires both to get in ? keypad and then cockpit confirmation

Yep they have this on lots of flights.

Usually when the seatbelt sign comes on briefly for no apparent reason. It's because the cabin crew are putting the code in and if you're sat down you're less likely to peek over their shoulder  or barge into the cockpit.

Â