True Detective *May Contain Spoilers*

dAVe80

Decent episode.

It's still mostly just setting the scene. Ending was awesome.

Don't see the fuss about Vaughn. I think he's been fine.

I'm enjoying it, even though it's very different from the first season. Plenty of surprises to come I'm sure.

Lot of people giving out about Vaughan but I think he's doing OK. Its McAdams who is letting the acting down for me . she is trying way too hard to be "cool/aloof" and its borderline cringe at times.

that was f'n boring to me too be honest..i cant tell you one scene that happened apart from the end. I just ended up tinder'n on my phone instead as it bored me lol

Maybe i should have watched it on sky atlantic like last episode as it provides adverts to give me a break from the snoozefest. I will try to rewatch at some point though

Edited by gharperr

After 2 episodes I still think it's setting the scene, as Stevo says.  I certainly wouldn't give up on something that has clearly got to get into its stride.  If after 4 episodes it's still struggling to go anywhere then I think the writers would have to look at themselves.

As for Vaughn.  The problem is that he hasn't come into this with a clean slate.  Up to now he could only play one person.  Vince Vaughn.  So people need him to convince them that he's not shit, rather than giving him the benefit from the off.  So far he has been better than he usually is, but that's not saying much and it's not enough for people to give him an easy ride.  There have been scenes where he has been his usual poor self.  Lying in the bed telling his missus about being locked in the dark room should have been way more effective than it was.  Whereas picking the guy up after being rear-ended and beaten up, he actually managed to come across as menacing.  Perhaps his stature helped.  So he has been hit and miss.  But with him, the misses are really bad.

And the next person to badmouth Rachel McAdams.  I will find you and I will make you sit through Vince Vaughn's entire back catalogue.

• Like 1

Exactly how I saw it regarding Vaughan (and I said as much earlier in the thread)

If it wasn't Vince Vaughan, nobody would be criticising the performance of that character.

I think he's been fine, but maybe not good enough to shake his reputation.

Think the setting is stifling the show. What made season one so great was how eerie/sinister the atmosphere and place was, and that's something that's obviously hard to replicate in a city environment. 

That said, I think it's been decent so far. The last scene of episode two was definitely needed and I do really like the meetings with Vaughn and Farrell in the bar with the acoustic set in the background. 

I think there's probably a reason why

both shotgun blasts were very obviously taken in the body

thats what I was on about two salt rounds to the stomach non leathal

I was thinking more about a vest. I'm sure they mentioned something in the first episode about him wearing a vest, although I can't remember the specifics

• Like 1

Powered through S1 in a week and bloody loved it.   From reading the comments in this thread I get the impression it might be an idea to do the same with S2 rather than watch on release. 

Nothing will top the first season scene at the end of ep 4 or 5 where they show the dude with the gas mask on roaming his property...so sinister and spooky...

• Like 1

Nothing will top the first season scene at the end of ep 4 or 5 where they show the dude with the gas mask on roaming his property...so sinister and spooky...

Episode 4, that was simply incredible, I think I was a bit unsure of TD until that scene then I knew we were on to a winner.

Lot of people giving out about Vaughan but I think he's doing OK. Its McAdams who is letting the acting down for me . she is trying way too hard to be "cool/aloof" and its borderline cringe at times.

Agree with this, not sure if it's her acting, the character or the dialogue being written for her. I like the show and I'll carry on watching it, but the scene in the last episode where...

...her and Farrell are at the therapy/cosmetic surgery place and as she goes to leave the creepy guy who runs the joint asks her about her father has an unbelievably cheesy and cringe-worthy exchange.

-- “Five kids living there growing up. Two in jail. Two committed suicide. How's that for social theory?”

-- “And the fifth?”

-- “She became a detective.”

Gahhhhhh! So cheesy!

I think Vaughn's been fine though. I thought the woman who plays Farrell's ex-wife was absolutely awful in that scene they had in episode 2 though. Farrell, Kitsch and the guy who plays the mayor that Farrell and Vaughn have a lot of exchanges with are the best so far, though admittedly Kitsch's character is pretty low key and hasn't had a lot to say really.

Edited by Ginko

Â