True Detective *May Contain Spoilers*

dAVe80

Just watched the last three episodes after getting back from holiday, almost didn't bother after the 5th which was pants.

It picked up and I thought the penultimate episode was very good but overall what a let down compared to the first series!

The story was far too overly complicated. Farrell was very good to be fair to him, but I've come to expect that anyway.

I've got to be honest, I enjoyed it. I thought the setting was fascinating - although they didn't do a brilliant job of fully exploiting it, which is a bit ridiculous in an 8.5 hour show. 

The issue really was the extent of the downtime in the show. All of the 'set-piece' bits were very enjoyable: shot by birdman? Great. Unexpected shootout? Exciting! Enormous orgy? Hmmm, very interesting! But sometimes the tissue connecting these bits was slow-moving and convoluted. 

It's a shame it wasn't better, with the actors and setting they had, but I don't agree it was garbage, and I certainly don't agree it was 'pretentious', an accusation I really hate which seems to be levelled at anything which has a plot more complicated than robots hitting each other these days. 

• Like 2

Hmm see I read that as suggesting that people who didn't like it or accuse it of being pretentious either didn't get it or weren't smart enough to appreciate it (apologies if I've misinterpreted). FWIW, I think its pretentiousness, attempts at being a bit "deeper", whatever you want to call it, had all the subtlety and smarts of the fighting robots you mentioned. The convoluted mess of a plot was a conscious attempt at making it seem smarter than it was IMO. And some of the dialogue was as stupid as it comes. Most intelligent people obviously love genuinely smart TV shows and movies. Unfortunately, this didn't do a very good job of being a smart show and that's what made it pretentious. And is one of the main reasons why I didn't like it :).

Edited by JB

That really isn't what I meant, and apologies if it came across that way. On the show itself, I don't think we're going to persuade each other, but I would say that even if you think it failed at being intelligent, failing at trying to do something smart isn't the same as being pretentious. 

• Like 2

I think it is a case of if you didn't get the show then you wouldn't like it.

But that's not a criticism of the audience, that's a criticism of the show. I think most people wouldn't have followed it.

I've already said that the only way I managed to follow it was to read up about it.

Its downfall was its complicated plot that was pretty much impossible to follow.

Personally think they should just finish the show, but they won't.

It's actually made me start thinking about season one again and whether it was as good as I thought it was. That had an overly complicated plot and hammy, pretentious dialogue delivered in gruff, almost inaudible grunts from its characters too, but McConaughey and Harrelson just made the entire thing work and had chemistry.

The end kinda sucked for season one too. Still enjoyed it, but I really do think it was the talent of the actors and the cinematography rather than the writing. Nic Pizzolatto seems to write pretentious twaddle for dialogue. People don't really talk like that and considering it's meant to be a gritty show, it's really jarring.

You could say that Nic Pizzolatto people off with this latest series...  :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished it on catchup...... Tbh I liked it more than series one 

Take McConaughey out of series one and you were left with a series that took itself  too seriously and was all about camera lighting and look how clever the director is

yeah series 2 plot borrowed heavily and had a little bit too much going on at times story wise but it was a more compelling watch , true the twists were often easy to see coming .... I was actually a little annoyed with the endings they gave Ray and Frank such was the way you got to like both characters and the fact they had redeeming features despite what they were

Wonder what series 3 will bring ?

• Like 1

Â