True Detective *May Contain Spoilers*

dAVe80

Fair play, each to their own and all that but I'm finding it difficult to empathise with the opinion that this is anything other than convoluted, poorly-written, boring, pretentious nonsense!

Maybe it's because I'm watching one episode a week (or maybe I'm just dim), but I'm a bit lost with it now. I've enjoyed the last couple of episodes, but I found myself asking wtf was going on?  

Yes it has. The first 3 or so were pretty grim watching but as things are coming together its got a lot better.

Best watch them as a box set, that way you have more chance of keeping up with the plot. Trying to remember what happened 7 weeks ago it a bit much.

And as said above, they do mumble a lot.

Edited by Croydon_Villain

Although a guy at work spoiled it for me a bit. He watched it last night and so asked me about it today.

Him: Did you watch True Detective?

Me: no. I recorded it so I'll watch it tonight

Him: 

One of the main 3 gets killed

Me: WHY?! WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THAT?!

Maybe I'm in the minority, but it's really not shit.

It did lull a bit after the "massacre", but it's picking up again now.

It is very VERY complicated though, and I've had to remind myself of what's happened a couple of times over the past 6 weeks to keep up. I don't think this season has suited the week gap between episodes at all.

Edited by Stevo985

Not that I think you're suggesting this at all, but I don't think it's shit because I can't follow it. I get what's going on (for the most part. I think). It's just a painfully dull story told really badly whilst raising unintentional laughs with some of the worst dialogue that I can recall. It just doesn't seem like a story worth telling or one that the viewer can care about. I carry on watching because each week I assume that it has to improve. But it doesn't. It's a tedious waste of time. In my opinion, of course. I'm glad it's nearly finished.

The writer clearly sat down and read The Big Nowhere by James Elroy and said "I'll do that but with shit dialogue & undergrad philosophy." There is a reddit thread somewhere that details all the similarities between the two. He pulled a similar trick last season with some weird fiction writer. He claimed it was a homage or some such. After this dreadful season I'm more inclined to think he's a chancer. Every scene with Vince Vaughn makes me want to jab a fork in my eye. "Blue balls in your heart". Get in the **** sea.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Ive waited for the season to finish so i can watch it marathon style

I imagine that will help massively.

The story is very complicated. I admit to having to read up about it a couple of times to understand what was going on.

But I do think that helped my enjoyment. A lot happened in the finale, for example, that I would have had no idea what was happening if I hadn't specifically read about the story

Ive waited for the season to finish so i can watch it marathon style

That was my original plan.

Safe to say I won't be bothering to invest the time now. From what i've read/been told it's a massive letdown and I can't be bothered to sink the time into it.

Shame really as the first series was superb.

Â