True Detective *May Contain Spoilers*

dAVe80

Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn cast for next installment...huge break for Vaughn, who's been stuck in a hole of slapstick comedies and stupid romantic comedies. These two are far from my first choice, but if the writing is still good, they should be able to pull it off.

• Like 1

It's been suggested that there will be three detectives, with a younger man and a woman coming in. I have heard Vaughan is some gangster that is involved in corruption with the LA transportation system and politicos. One of his guys gets clipped, with satanic cult styling and up steps Mr In Bruges to investigate.

• 8 months later...

Just finished watching Ep1 of the 2nd season. It's good, but not near the sensuous feast of the first one.

They did a good job of setting up a few different story lines, and it has it's very good moments. 

Vince Vaughn is still corny, unfortunately. Just not a great actor, even with decent writing.

Farrell is much better, and support cast is good.

But the phenomenon of the original is not going to be replicated on this one.

i liked it too, farrell was good,vaughn was suspect but i think thats more down to my opinion of him rather than anything in his performance, he did nothing to shake off the lingering thought that hes a shit actor but that might come

it really is nothing like the 1st series, bar the way it was filmed, did like the 2nd scene which was farrell being interviewed at a desk in what looked like the police station, instantly thought that they'd have some continuity there, that was quite clever

it tried a bit too hard at times, got 4 stories to bring together as well as the case this time, will be amazed if all 4 of those story arcs are as compelling as the 2 last year, vaughn especially needs the writing to be out of this world 

Visually awesome. Rest was good. The guy beating up the dad was prob the best scene. Cant complain too much for opening episode 

oh i guess i could complain about Vaughn. So bad. He just randomly stares and it looks super awkward. I dont know if hes trying to come across intimidating but it just doesnt show at all

Edited by gharperr

to me he almost come across like the kingpin in daredevil, kind of quirky and uncomfortable but no doubt full of deep rage that intimidates others, and in about 2 episodes time we'll see him do his impression of the vinnie jones car door thing to affirm that he's a badass

the problem being whereas the guy in daredevil was a superb actor vince vaughn simply isnt

Enjoyed that.

It is something quite different, with, as stated above, the manner of filming and very moody undertone that cuts underneath every scene, carried over.

I especially liked the line:

I will come back and butt **** your father with your mothers headless corpse

Made me laugh when, given the scene, perhaps it shouldn't have. The characters seem nice and complex and the writing is just as good.

Interesting times, even if it doesn't have quite the magic of the first season.

Edited by Ads

hopefully they learned their lesson from last season and dont make a balls of the ending

also good they changed the theme music as last seasons just felt in with the vibe of the series

I found myself paying more attention to Vaughn in his scenes than any other actor in any other show. At times it felt like he could feel the pressure of us all waiting for him to balls it up.

He wasn't his normal bad self.

Vaughn has a kind of natural charisma which probably allowed him to break into Hollywood. Good looks when he started out didn't hurt either. But whereas Farrell gets better and better as an actor, Vaughn has plateaued off. He doesn't have the ability to get out of his own way, which is sort of the key to being a good actor. 

Â