The Boring Thread

Spoony

1 hour ago, BOF said:

137 pages and still no advice on drill bits.

Useful information about drill bit selection

You have to choose different drill bits and drilling methods depending on the material you want to work on.

Procedure:

Here you will find out what each drill bit is suitable for:

Drilling in metal: HSS drill bits with a partially ground tip are suitable for non-ferrous metals. These include aluminium, copper, brass, zinc, iron and non-alloyed steel.

Drilling in wood: Brad point drill bits have a long centring tip with two pre-cutting spurs. These spurs score the wood fibres; the internal cutting edges then cut them out cleanly. Forstner drill bits, hardware drill bits or hinge cutting bits are usually used for larger drill bit diameters; there are auger bits for deep holes in wood.

Drilling in concrete: Masonry made of clinker, brick or concrete requires an impact drill or a rotary hammer to be used. However, if the wall consists of perforated stones with porous material, only rotary drilling is performed (i.e. without impact). The same applies to porous bricks and boarded walls. A masonry drill bit is required for all work in these materials. It has soldered-in tungsten-carbide plates on the drill bit tip.

Bosch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Time to bring the record filing discussion over here to its natural home. 

I have recently acquired a CD made by a local band, fronted by an old mate. The band is called "Mister Dodo Bones and the One-Eyed Jacks". 

Should it he filed under "M" (for the band name "Mister...")  ? 

Or "D" (for "Dodo Bones") ? 

Or "B" (for "Bones") ? 

Or "F" (the bloke's real name is Dave Foster) ? 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Time to bring the record filing discussion over here to its natural home. 

I have recently acquired a CD made by a local band, fronted by an old mate. The band is called "Mister Dodo Bones and the One-Eyed Jacks". 

Should it he filed under "M" (for the band name "Mister...")  ? 

Or "D" (for "Dodo Bones") ? 

Or "B" (for "Bones") ? 

Or "F" (the bloke's real name is Dave Foster) ? 

M

To me the word "Mister" is part of the band's name rather than a genuine prefix.

If it was "Mr. Dodo Bones" then maybe D or B

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

M

To me the word "Mister" is part of the band's name rather than a genuine prefix.

If it was "Mr. Dodo Bones" then maybe D or B

Yep, that's exactly what I decided. Although if somebody asks me who I'm going to see, I'd always say "Dave Foster's band", rather than the daft name he's adopted. 

• Like 1

This week I have driven through the counties of West Midlands, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire and Norfolk. 

I've also been within sniffing distance of Rutland. 

On 20/06/2019 at 22:16, Xela said:

This week I have driven through the counties of West Midlands, Staffordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire and Norfolk. 

I've also been within sniffing distance of Rutland. 

Which one had the best-paved roads? 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Which one had the best-paved roads? 

North Kettering, Northamptonshire

Marvellous tarmacadam.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Early PJ Harvey was the band name, same as Alice Cooper, how would both of them be filed? 

Harvey would go under H, as it is actually her surname. Alice Cooper however is a pseudonym, so would go under A. 

Not my problem though, as I don't own physical discs by either. I've downloaded a couple of Coopers from Spotify, but no interest in Harvey (I've always assumed she's some sort of UK version of the tedious Patti Smith). 

On 06/05/2018 at 22:02, Demitri_C said:

Enters thread for first time...

...Exits due to the boredom

You have been on here for years,  I can only assume you are too jaded now,  a shadow of your former self so too speak.

I find your lack of VT Boredom Resistance quite disturbing & a little disappointing if I am honest.  All that training, 9500 posts for nothing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've always assumed she's some sort of UK version of the tedious Patti Smith

She's much more varied than Patty Smith. I'm not that keen on a lot of her earlier stuff, but in the past decade or so, She's been absolutely brilliant. Worth trying a few tracks on spotify or whatever. Probably one for the album thread really.

Anyway, on topic it's a bit cloudy here today.

Â