The Boring Thread

Spoony

I did an Asbestos awareness course this morning. 

It was brilliant.  Thought it was very interesting, especially the WW2 linkages.  Basically the UK owned (as part of the commonwealth) all of the major Abestos mining countries Africa, Canada and Australia, so our fire stopping abilities in WW2 for tanks and ships etc was brilliant.  We starved Germany of it.  It actually started in WW1, and after WW1 the USA stockpiled the stuff.

I also didn't realise that the lack of Asbestos in the later Apollo missions caused the tragedy of one of them, because the heat shield for the re-entry capsules removed it! It's got incredible properties, just a shame it kills us in a quite nasty way.. 

Poor train builders and naval apprentices ay? :( 

The washing machine died. Smoke came out of it, the drum pretty much siezed up and made a horrible gravelly noise. When I drained it, bits of sort of ceramicy rubble came out. Then when I disconnected it all, I had to change some of the pipes under the sink, so that the sink could be drained. The pipes needed cleaning out, too. There was some residue gathered there, restricting water-flow. 

I went on an internet and ordered another washing machine today and when it comes, I'll have to reverse the removal process. I had thought about repair, but based on the age of the old one, and the multiple faults, it's probably better to get a new one and let the 19 year old machine go to the Broken household appliance national forest.

14 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

It was brilliant.  Thought it was very interesting, especially the WW2 linkages.  Basically the UK owned (as part of the commonwealth) all of the major Abestos mining countries Africa, Canada and Australia, so our fire stopping abilities in WW2 for tanks and ships etc was brilliant.  We starved Germany of it.  It actually started in WW1, and after WW1 the USA stockpiled the stuff.

I also didn't realise that the lack of Asbestos in the later Apollo missions caused the tragedy of one of them, because the heat shield for the re-entry capsules removed it! It's got incredible properties, just a shame it kills us in a quite nasty way.. 

Poor train builders and naval apprentices ay? :( 

I started work in construction as asbestos was being removed. I worked on many asbestos roofs.

Scared me a little because I was always told it could kill me but I never understood how it got into my system.

One boss just said don't put your foot through the roof because the dust from it will kill you..

But to the more important point. WTF has come over you? Making posts about history in asbestos and the 60's/70's of Birmingham?!

Your posts usually make me laugh because they're funny (laughing when something's funny, who would of thought?). Or cry because they're mean.

5 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I started work in construction as asbestos was being removed. I worked on many asbestos roofs.

Scared me a little because I was always told it could kill me but I never understood how it got into my system.

One boss just said don't put your foot through the roof because the dust from it will kill you..

But to the more important point. WTF has come over you? Making posts about history in asbestos and the 60's/70's of Birmingham?!

Your posts usually make me laugh because they're funny (laughing when something's funny, who would of thought?). Or cry because they're mean.

**** off, dickhead. 😘

23 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

How aware of Asbestos are you now? Please select only one option

a) very aware

b) moderately aware

c) not very aware

d) not at all aware - WTF is this asbestos thing?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Weetabix has 3 factories in England

2 are in Northamptonshire.

I used to pass one on my way to see family in Cambridge

In fact I probably still do. They've likely changed the exterior of the building so it no longer says Weetabix on it and so I don't notice any more.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

How aware of Asbestos are you now? Please select only one option

a) very aware

b) moderately aware

c) not very aware

d) not at all aware - WTF is this asbestos thing?

e) I'm nearly dead from asbestosis ✔️

I used to be an exhaust pipe in the blue asbestos mine :( 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I used to pass one on my way to see family in Cambridge

In fact I probably still do. They've likely changed the exterior of the building so it no longer says Weetabix on it and so I don't notice any more.

That's funny steveno because I always think you have the personality of a weetabix - maybe your passing of the factory to see family has turned you into one? 🧐

Very interesting either way.  

29 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

That's funny steveno because I always think you have the personality of a weetabix - maybe your passing of the factory to see family has turned you into one? 🧐

That's funny Lapanal_fan because I always think you have the weetabix of a family - maybe your turning of the personality has passed you into one? 🧐

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's funny Lapanal_fan because I always think you have the weetabix of a family - maybe your turning of the personality has passed you into one? 🧐

blocked. 

@bickster, please ban.  He DM'd me calling you silly for wearing those cool shoes you wear. 

thank you x

• Haha 2

Just now, lapal_fan said:

blocked. 

@bickster, please ban.  He DM'd me calling you silly for wearing those cool shoes you wear. 

thank you x

grass

Bicks in the same conversation Lapal said he loved The Beatles and would listen to their records whilst driving his Uber and eating lettuce straight from the head

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

grass

Bicks in the same conversation Lapal said he loved The Beatles and would listen to their records whilst driving his Uber and eating lettuce straight from the head

actually Bicks, Steveno was the one who suggested I use UBER when in liverpool, and I quote "To piss Bicks's chips off" or something. 

And he said he was going to break into your house and unorganise your record collection, which I said was the best record collection I'd ever seen. 

• Haha 1

Sent Weetabix a picture of their product and a matching supermarket own brand product on either side of a set of scales.

Pointed out that I was no longer buying products from manufacturers reducing the weight of their goods on the sly.

Sainsbury's own were definitely superior to Weetabix at that point.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

actually Bicks, Steveno was the one who suggested I use UBER when in liverpool, and I quote "To piss Bicks's chips off" or something. 

And he said he was going to break into your house and unorganise your record collection, which I said was the best record collection I'd ever seen. 

Took it one too far.

Â