Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

maqroll

Well Snowboard Cross is ridiculous.

The knockout format basically means that the best boarder in the form of his or her life can be instantly knocked out by some moron who falls over into them. And that can happen at any point in any race.

The BMX cross in the summer games was way better, the preliminary stages were a points format over several races, so even if you had an unlucky fall, you could make up for it by being better over the distance. 

Snowboard Cross is just pot luck.

I think that's what was so brilliant about it tbh.  And it mostly seemed to be the favourites who took the top positions in any case.  All of the snowboarding has been ace to watch tbh, much better than skiing.

Yeah I think the snowboard cross is entertaining for that reason.

But from the perspective of the athletes, I can see where TP14 is coming from.

Imagine training for 4 years for that moment, only to have your olympics ended after 10 seconds because someone crashed into you.

Wouldn't Canada not winning ice hockey gold be like America not winning baseball gold?

Not really, there are 5 or 6 pretty even teams; Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, Russia and Czech who all can beat each other even though on paper Canada and USA has best teams.

SILVER AND GOLD FOR FINLAND TODAY! WHOOOOOOOOO! PERKELE!

Don't get me wrong, the Snowboard cross was super entertaining.

It's just got a very significant degree of luck.

There is a bit of that with other events in regards to snow/ice temperature and wind etc, but nowhere near the level that there is in Snowboard Cross. 

Wouldn't Canada not winning ice hockey gold be like America not winning baseball gold?

Not really, there are 5 or 6 pretty even teams; Canada, USA, Finland, Sweden, Russia and Czech who all can beat each other even though on paper Canada and USA has best teams.

SILVER AND GOLD FOR FINLAND TODAY! WHOOOOOOOOO! PERKELE!

Congratulations on that one! :) Though, the gold looked a bit dubious, to be fair, but I don't think your man saw the german behind him. But I bet they ain't gonna send you flowers in the first place. :P Well done, anyway!