• Weimann (for El Ahmadi 73)
  2. 2. Manger's tactics

• Very poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

Good game 2-1 fair result

Negatives: why do we let teams come to villa park and run the show? Why does baker get a head injury every single game?

Positives: we got some evidence the team isn't shit just lack confidence. 4-3-3 Is our formation. Vlaar bacuna and benteke stepped up.

Team has to play 433

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Bennett

Bacuna Westwood Delph

Weiman benteke gabby

Sorry to be Mr Negative but the game changed when Arsenal sat back and defended their lead. We had so much ball because they let us

spot on

for all the folk, that have little respect for possession and only look for results..... we lost, yes another home defeat against a team we were able to beat away from home.

and furthermore they were in charge of the game (when they wanted), they took the lead twice in the space of a few minutes,they then took their foot off the gas, (when they wanted) we scored a perfectly good goal and they came back in to the game ( when they wanted).

wallow in all the positives you want....until there is a change of mentality at the club, you will be sifting through more of these type of positives.

Edited by TRO

i though our shape at the back was shit before baker went off, luna plays so narrow, sagna was pretty much playing like a right winger, they were sending 2 or sometimes 3 up against him and simply passing it round him, it was embarrassing

don't think arsenal got out of 1st gear and let us back in to it, we were so poor up until about 30 minutes left to go when we actually managed to stretch the game, benteke vs monreal was an obvious tactic and by and large it worked but no one read his flick ons, thought overall our anticipation of the 2nd ball was incredibly poor, then when we tried to go down the middle i though mertesacker for them was excellent and didnt really give benteke a sniff, both of their goals were obviously really poor from our perspective, delph looked good at times but over did it at others, his run in the 1st half when he's sprinted half the pitch from left to right and not a single player made a run for him or tried to support him just about sums us up at the moment for me

think there were some positives, benteke's goal and hopefully just as importantly lowtons superb ball in, vlaar back, hopefully that finish will give us at least a bit of a lift

I actually laughed when that happened as  the rest of the side just stood and watched.

I was fearing a stuffing before the game, and happily, we came out of the fixture with a creditable 2-1 reversal. No doom and gloom then.

1st half it seemed like normal Villa service where we struggled to put anything really meaningful together. Losing Baker to what looked a serious bit of head injury didn't seem to help our cause, though it did introduce Bacuna to the game, who went on to be my man of the match. That said, we surrendered two goals in 2 minutes, which was a real sickening blow. We were in the game, then so far out of it within a minute or so. And Jack Wilshere? What was that celebration about? Had he just fingered his girlfriend for the first time???

Half time and boos - maybe harsh, but probably more aimed at the one minute capitulation than anything else. I didn't boo.

2nd Half - we seemed to show a bit of spirit and demonstrate what we all know that there is a team in there, trying to perform. They can't help it, they just aren't good enough. But we saw some fight at last, culminating in some positive stats in the second half. Benteke's low header was a great bit of work following a good cross that found it's mark. Late rally and the big guy had a chance to equalilse too. Oh so nearly then... Realism, and it's debateable whether or not Arsenal took their foot off the pedal in the 2nd half, but even if they did, we still have to play in order to get anything from the game... If only they had defended better after conceding the first goal...

MOTM - Tony Moon, for that beard...

Not really, Bacuna got my vote, and average tactics for the way we set about the first half.

36k attendance was disappointing, considering it was a home fixture against top-4 opposition - I guess it was a school night... Will that flutter Mr Lerner's heart?

On the plus side there was less passing sideways and backwards 

See I think this is a big problem with the mindset of our fans. Passing sideways and backwards is absolutely what we need to do. Not keep being so desperate to get it forward that we hoof it up or try a desperate ball that will never work. The best teams probe and pass, pull the other teams out. If fans think that passing sideways and backwards is bad, we'll never progress.

Exactly. There's a guy in front of me who just shouts 'FORWARD' all game.

Yeah that annoys me when I'm at VP (but I assume it happens everywhere really apart form like Arsenal or Man City)

The midfield will be passing it around, no options yet in front of them and you'll get people yelling "just **** get it forward!!"

That's schoolboy football. I'd rather our players kept the ball and waited for a viable option than just hit and hope forward. It's probably the same people who will be complaining abotu hoofball down the pub afterwards

• Like 2

Sorry to be Mr Negative but the game changed when Arsenal sat back and defended their lead. We had so much ball because they let us

spot on

for all the folk, that have little respect for possession and only look for results..... we lost, yes another home defeat against a team we were able to beat away from home.

and furthermore they were in charge of the game (when they wanted), they took the lead twice in the space of a few minutes,they then took their foot off the gas, (when they wanted) we scored a perfectly good goal and they came back in to the game ( when they wanted).

wallow in all the positives you want....until there is a change of mentality at the club, you will be sifting through more of these type of positives.

The gulf in class between us and Arsenal is huge, though.  We haven't beaten them at home since, what, 1998?  This isn't a recent thing - they're just a much better side than us and currently top of the league for **** sake.  Naturally, therefore, they're going to be in charge of the game - especially with a midfield that is about a billion times better than ours - and playing a counter attacking game was always going to have the possibility of being more rewarding than trying to compete with them.

So, on that note, I thought we were good defensively.  Giroud had a very good chance with a header early on and Lowton's mistake led to the first goal; but I think these were the only times we were properly caught out.  For all Arsenal's possession, they didn't actually create much at all (they probably could have, but they didn't). I thought Vlaar and Clark were both very good throughout the game whilst Luna showed improvement on his past performances.

The main issue for me - and most people on here I'm sure - is that our midfield doesn't really contribute much.  Delph had a poor game imo and Westwood and El Ahmadi just don't do anything to influence a match.  We desperately need some creativity in the centre and to switch to using actual wingers as Benteke's hold up play lacked last night, but he proved he is still a huge threat from crosses which we rarely use.  If we're not going to have possession (which we don't) we need to be strong in the middle of the park and disrupt the other team.  The first half, we did neither of these things and got completely overrun.  Second half, we got stuck in more and pushed Arsenal backwards.  More of the latter is needed for the rest of the season.

On the plus side there was less passing sideways and backwards 

See I think this is a big problem with the mindset of our fans. Passing sideways and backwards is absolutely what we need to do. Not keep being so desperate to get it forward that we hoof it up or try a desperate ball that will never work. The best teams probe and pass, pull the other teams out. If fans think that passing sideways and backwards is bad, we'll never progress.

I agree. But there is evidence of this team being able to pass. Example being against Sunderland, the team strung a series of passes to together all over the pitch that lead to Albrighton spooning over a glorious chance. The players are capable of it but I think too often some are caught in the headlights and prefer a ball over the top.

Thought we played well overall.

Had the better chances before their goals and responded well in second half. Of course if they weren't so comfortable then I'm sure they would have raised in second half.

However football was much better than it has been and great to see big man get a goal, looked a different player afterwards.

So a loss which we all mentally prepared for but a number of positives which perhaps we didn't expect.

I think we were more dangerous the first half .. We had two chances which almost were goals .. If they didn't score or stayed at 1-0 atleast .. We may have come back ..

Benteke was good even in the first have .. he could have assisted a goal to Delph .. Anyway Delph should have get it back to Benteke .. He could have scored that ..

Just watched the game again. We actually weren't that bad before Arsenal scored 2 in a minute. The commentator here in Denmark praised us for being well in the game and then Arsenal scored- what the hell was Lowton doing for that first goal???

The commentators mentioned too that they thought the combination of Gabby and Benteke looks good on paper but they didn't do anything in the way of combining their play together on the pitch. ( I totally agree with this- lack of game intelligence is unreal)

Lastly, the tv guys laughed at the fact that they thought Guzan was our playmaker with the long passes.

Just thought I'd share the thoughts of the commentators here in DK

• Like 1

Crap apart from the 30 seconds that led to the goal.

Before that, toothless, clueless and shapeless. After that HOOF

This. It wasn't a good performance and we only got into the game because Arsenal let us. Some really poor performance's, KEA and Luna to name only two.

Although our second half performance was much better than what has been served up over the last few months (and that may be down to Arsenal stepping off the gas) the fact remains that we still lost and if we can't get anything when we play some of our better football it doesn't bode well for the future as we tend to play shit all game usually.

Although our second half performance was much better than what has been served up over the last few months (and that may be down to Arsenal stepping off the gas) the fact remains that we still lost and if we can't get anything when we play some of our better football it doesn't bode well for the future as we tend to play shit all game usually.

Anyone would have thought we were playing top of the league.

• Like 1

Â