Formula One 2014

BOF

So a German driver hits the front from the start and disappears into the distance never to be seen again until the finish line?  #sameoldf1

Seriously though, a decent opening race - at least it felt like it was worth getting up for!

Wet quali certainly made for plenty of overtaking action - will be "interesting" to see how different everything is after a dry saturday.

On another note - Pérez - 20 seconds off the Hulk.  Has he gone off the boil the last couple of years, or were a couple of great results in Sauber just major overachieving?

So a German driver hits the front from the start and disappears into the distance never to be seen again until the finish line?  #sameoldf1

Seriously though, a decent opening race - at least it felt like it was worth getting up for!

Wet quali certainly made for plenty of overtaking action - will be "interesting" to see how different everything is after a dry saturday.

On another note - Pérez - 20 seconds off the Hulk.  Has he gone off the boil the last couple of years, or were a couple of great results in Sauber just major overachieving?

haha.. yeah does seem like same old.. but I also think with Lewis in a working car and with teams still finding their feet, things will be a lot closer. If Ferrari can find some pace and sort their fuel, Alonso (with his ultra reliable car) will also be a force. Should be a lot closer this year...!!!!

Is it me or did the race have the audible intensity of a bunch of souped up Fiesta's giving it some round Tesco's car park? Brundle, I think. even passed comment that you could hear the public announcer over the 'noise' of the cars.

Is it me or did the race have the audible intensity of a bunch of souped up Fiesta's giving it some round Tesco's car park? Brundle, I think. even passed comment that you could hear the public announcer over the 'noise' of the cars.

It was odd actually hearing the screeches from the tyres when the drivers locked-up the fronts.

Enjoyable none the less, if only from a new world order kinda way.

V8s vs the V6 turbo.  Give me the V8 any day of the week! 

Yeah that is just shit.

The first video gives me goose bumps, the roar in the distance as you anticipate the cars rounding the corner and blasting past you is amazing. The second video, you might as well be standing on the side of a public freeway. 

I know this isn't exactly ground breaking but the current direction of F1 is a worry. Things I'm not keen on.

Such tight restrictions on testing
Restrictions of engines
Restrictions on gearboxes
Restrictions on Tyres
The fact teams under fill the cars with fuel
the 'overtake' button
Double Points in AD
The noses look shit
The engines sound shit
the fact its impossible to drive flat out for the entire race.

All this is relatively new and imo not good for the sport in the medium/long term.

The only rules in F1 should be

Fixed budget that is the same for all teams

Cars should have 4 weels, be no greater than x  long, x wide and x high.

Cars fully fuelled + driver should be no heavier than x.

Aerodynamics should be neutral (eg. no designing clever diffusers to adversly effect the performance of the bloke behind.)

No traction control, steering assist or DRS.

Driver safety rules as per now.

No races to be held at whatshisface Tilke designed circuits.

Thats it. Beyond that do what you want, test what you want and when you want, but spending no more than set out in rule 1.

Exactly as above.

I can't understand why F1 is trying to be Eco conscious. It's the pinnacle of Motorsport which shouldn't be hindered by fuel saving and Eco friendly systems.

I understand they're saying that the technology will filter down to road cars eventually, but they shouldnt be experimenting to this extent in F1. Maybe try it in a feeder series. F1 cars should be loud and that's what sets it apart from everything else.

Edited by benireduk

I work in an office about 50 yards from one corner of the track. I loathe the Grand Prix cos the noise at various times on Thursday/Friday before the race makes working impossible... this year I didn't even notice the cars! Woo-hoo!

Â