Formula One 2014

BOF

He makes a good point about the fuel.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would guess the amount of fuel used by the teams getting all their shit to and from races far outweighs the fuel used in the race?

He makes a good point about the fuel.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would guess the amount of fuel used by the teams getting all their shit to and from races far outweighs the fuel used in the race?

By some considerable multiple, I'd imagine. For fly-away races make that exponential.

They're looking to change qualifying for this year. The fear is teams won't run in Q3 so as to protect their tyres.  Solutions include a special one-off Q3 tyre that gets given back to the FIA afterwards.  Or you start the race on your Q2 tyre, meaning no incentive to sit out Q3.

There's also an interesting article on F1 Fanatic that goes some way towards explaining quite how complicated this year's engines are in terms of how all the recovery systems are inextricable with the power unit, where they wouldn't have been last season.  It sheds some light on why things are failing in testing and on how difficult they might be to fix.

In Ted's notebook he said that to put into context the complexity of the cars, if there's a fault with the KERS or engine last season it took 45 minutes to fix, with this years car it takes 6 hours to fix the engine.

Formula 1 team Lotus have apologised for a tweet about the Winter Olympics which included a picture of two men kissing.

The tweet, which was posted on Friday, wished "all athletes a successful 2014 Olympic Winter Games #Sochi2014".

The Sochi Games, which were officially opened on Friday, have attracted criticism because of controversial laws in Russia banning "gay propaganda".

Lotus later said the tweet was "unauthorised" and had been deleted.

The Black Sea resort is hosting the first Russian Grand Prix on 12 October.

The Lotus F1 tweet upset top management and shareholders of the team, who are owned by the investment group Genii Capital, because it was causing problems for their business.

Genii is a multi-billion pound company with investments around the globe, including significant interests in Russia.

The Lotus team have a new Russian backer, mobile phone company Yotaphone. Its parent company Yota Devices is poised to buy a 10% shareholding in the team.

Causing problems for business? Right, Lotus are on my **** off list. 

• Like 2

Agreed Rodders. Backing away from a tweet that is morally right because of business interests makes me hope you crash and burn this season. Figuratively, not literally, obviously.

Williams look like bringing the Martini livery back into F1 as they look like they're about to announce them as title sponsors :wub:

I'll be rooting for them even more than normal this season.  Everyone's favourite privateer.  Hopefully the good pre-season form keeps up next week.  GO WILLIAMS! :)

red bull continue to struggle after day 1 of the Bahrain test

Red Bull's 2014 troubles continued on the first day of the second pre-season test in Bahrain.

The world champions, whose first test was disastrous, completed just 14 laps with Sebastian Vettel at the wheel.

Red Bull were delayed by five hours because of problems building the car. When they did start running it broke down with over one hour remaining.

Force India's Nico Hulkenberg was fastest from Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

McLaren's Kevin Magnussen was fourth quickest from Vettel, who was 3.344secs off the pace.

It is not yet clear what caused the Red Bull to stop on track but there was a burning smell coming from the car when it was returned to the pits on the back of a lorry.

Red Bull have brought two different bodywork packages to Bahrain in an attempt to find a solution to the chronic overheating that, along with severe problems with the Renault power-unit, caused their troubles at the first test.

"Obviously we're not happy with where we are right now but we still have a long way ahead of us," said Vettel.

"It's difficult to judge where we are. I haven't had much of the car yet. The first gut feeling is OK but we need more to judge the car. It is not that easy to find a quick fix. I think we understand the problems but it's not easy to find a solution.

"We had a problem with temperature in Jerez which we seemed to fix, at least with the couple of laps we could do. But very often you fix one problem and another one pops up."

They and the other Renault teams continue to struggle with power unit-related problems.

Renault arrived in Bahrain admitting it had not completely solved the problems that had made the first test a waste of time for all their teams.

The Red Bull, Caterham and Lotus cars were able to do more laps than Renault managed at the first test, but they are still being afflicted by some problems

BBC report

Renault struggling it seems

well golly-gosh, it seems like quite the situation for red bull and one that might in certain quarters provoke some sympathy. 

Not here, obviously.

That said, until we have a new winner of a grand prix in australia, I'll reserve my anticipation of fresh competition a little while yet.

Â