Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

Hoolahan is a waste of money imo. He may be great for a season or two at best. No resale value at all. When we need experience players you get them 26-28 years old. Hes almost 32 already.

Good! I'm sick of us buying players for the promise of resale value!

It'd be a nice to have a player that isn't using us as a stepping stone to a bigger club, while us fans are having to cheer on a player that we're certain won't stay for long.

I wouldnt worry yourself with most of our squad!

I thought a better player on loan would be much better. Even if their wages are higher. If the loan fee is 1.5 and we get Essien (example) for a season.. whats the difference from having Hoolahan who will provide us with 1 season.. at best 2 seasons.

Ah well. If he signs hopefully he does well but i hope we go for Kiyotake in the summer./

Well, I think you might have a point. IIRC (and Son of Wiz can correct me on this if I'm wrong) but Lambert's best formation at Norwich was 4-4-2 Diamond. Hoolahan was played at the tip of the diamond, with two box to box midfielders behind him. So we may just need another energetic midfielder if this is a formation that Lambert wants to use again. He's tried it a few times but we just don't have the midfielders. 

If we looked like this....

Lowton - Vlaar - Clark - Luna                

Westwood

New CM                  Delph

Hoolahan

Gabby     Benteke

I think that could be half decent. But that new CM would be crucial because I dont think either KEA or Bacuna are good enough to play that role. Essien would be too slow I think :(

I think it would most likely be a 4-2-3-1 formation.  Hoolahan in front of two holding midfielders with one striker up top and two wingers. 

• Like 1

I thought a better player on loan would be much better. Even if their wages are higher. If the loan fee is 1.5 and we get Essien (example) for a season.. whats the difference from having Hoolahan who will provide us with 1 season.. at best 2 seasons.

Ah well. If he signs hopefully he does well but i hope we go for Kiyotake in the summer./

So you'd rather go for the name over the player who might suit us better? That doesn't seem like the KSV I know.

Would be a good signing. Always rated him. Will bring the creativity, and experience we need.

Crazy how people are writing him off because of his age. Some players dont reach their peaks until that age. Still has 2-3 seasons left in him all for £1.5 million. Bargain.

However, why on earth would norwich sell one of their key squad players (not first team but still important player) to a relegation rival for so cheap?!?! Sorry but cant see this happening. Would love it if did. Shaun Maloney and hopefully Tom Ince are two more realistic targets.

I don't rule out a loan deal for Defour as well.

Woah! I think I'm having a bad acid flashback. Is the same Defour we we were going to sign in 2009? Can I just reiterate that +70% of all transfer rumours from most sites are complete BS!!!

2009 strain of bullsh1t http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1165267/Standard-Lieges-golden-boy-Defour-tells-Villa-boss-ONeill-I-want-sign-you.html

2014 strain of bullsh1t http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/01/03/yes-aston-villa-track-steven-defour-agent-confirms-english-sides-interest-in-fc-porto-midfielder/118182/

My thoughts: ideal signing if we can get him. Didn't play much early in the season but has started their last 2 games, best player vs Man United. Obviously we are direct competition for places and I'm sure the Norwich board aren't keen to sell to Lambert anyway. £1.5 million is a pretty low price even if he is 31. From what I gather the Norwich fans love him, he is their longest serving player and they would hate to see him sold. It could be more tricky than many think to get him here, but I definitely think it's worth it for anything up to £3 million. He doesn't rely on pace so I think he's got at least a couple of good years in him.

I think he's perfect for our squad. Lambert knows his game inside out. He is exactly what everyone is shouting for, a creative midfielder that can play behind the striker, link play and create things. He's got plenty of experience to help some of the younger lads. He might not have the greatest engine but there is so much running around him with Delph Gabby Weimann etc that it won't matter.

In summary: YES PLEASE.

Woah! I think I'm having a bad acid flashback. Is the same Defour we we were going to sign in 2009? Can I just reiterate that +70% of all transfer rumours from most sites are complete BS!!!

2009 strain of bullsh1t http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1165267/Standard-Lieges-golden-boy-Defour-tells-Villa-boss-ONeill-I-want-sign-you.html

2014 strain of bullsh1t http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/01/03/yes-aston-villa-track-steven-defour-agent-confirms-english-sides-interest-in-fc-porto-midfielder/118182/

And we actually used to spend money in 2009, so Defour seems even more unlikely under Randy's current financial constraints.

Yeah, I know, but it passes the time.

Could be a worthwhile signing, always been impressed with him when he has played us, bit of experience and Lamber tshould know how to get the best out of him. Mixed feelings about the deal on norwich forum, Made me me laugh that some of them would consider a swap with Gabby.

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/mobilepinkun/cs/forums/3041048/ShowPost.aspx

Sorry not sure how to do links on mobile VT

1. Wes Hoolahan left out of #ncfc sqaud to face Fulham. Read into that what you will but told #avfc have bid.

Expand   
  2. @nmashiter_star Just been with PF.. Def have bid but admits will be very tough as Norwich despise us still. #holdingagrudge

Expand
Edited by Bunnski
  • Like 1

This seems like a signing West Ham would make.

The same West Ham than don't even try to pass the ball, when Hoolahan is a passing playmaker who is shorter than Bannan?

You couldn't be more wrong.

• Like 1

Â