Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

We aren't a long ball team per se, a la West Ham who don't even try.

That's exactly what we've been for a large majority of this season.

You've (perhaps unsurprisingly) missed my point.

When has a Big Sam team ever tried to play football? As opposed to Lambert sides which have done so in the past.

When they played us? ;)

When has a Big Sam team ever tried to play football?

So now its changed to big Sam. Wonder why I missed your point. I would imagine stats suggest we play more long ball than west ham this season. Big Sam has also signed players like downing, Cole and Morrison. Nome of whom I would associate with long ball football.

So now its changed to big Sam. Wonder why I missed your point. I would imagine stats suggest we play more long ball than west ham this season. Big Sam has also signed players like downing, Cole and Morrison. Nome of whom I would associate with long ball football.
Hoolahan would be a sign he wants a more progressive midfield. We've played rubbish but we don't want to play rubbish. Possibly using the players the only way they can be used. Hoolahan is a step forward in more ways than one. Quality and positionally.
  • Like 4

Hoolahan would be a sign he wants a more progressive midfield. We've played rubbish but we don't want to play rubbish. Possibly using the players the only way they can be used. Hoolahan us a step forward in more ways than one. Quality and positionally.

Exactamundo.

The assertion that 'this is a signing that West Ham would make' was the initial point that I was dismissing anyway, because it's total nonsense.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I wasn't disagreeing with John though. We have been long ball up to now. I was just saying that long ball isn't our endgame and Wes is a step towards that.

I wasn't disagreeing with John though. We have been long ball up to now. I was just saying that long ball isn't our endgame and Wes is a step towards that.

And that's what I meant in my 2nd point when comparing the 2 sides :-)

Edited by StefanAVFC

Perhaps I should have made myself more clear.

I felt that the statement 'seems like the signing a team like West Ham would make' is nonsense because they don't generally sign small, technical players.

I'm not sure 1 signing in that vein can create a generalisation that West Ham typically sign small, creative players. I'd give that stereotype to a Swansea or an Arsenal.

We got spectacularly off point and I apologise I wasn't clearer with my OP  :thumb:

• Like 1

Hoolahan would be a sign he wants a more progressive midfield. We've played rubbish but we don't want to play rubbish. Possibly using the players the only way they can be used. Hoolahan is a step forward in more ways than one. Quality and positionally.

Oh agree completely, actually not unhappy with this signing at all.

I think this makes a lot of sense on a few levels.

- Plugs a hole for the remainder of the season

- Adds experience and leadership (Was Norwich captain)

- Can be used in rotation (or as backup) to any younger AM we sign in the Summer 

- Has played the best football of his career under Lambert

- Wages won't be too high

- Will most likely want to come as he isn't a regular at Norwich

Wouldn't be opposed to this one at all.

Agree with all of this. Not a long term solution, but a good short term option that plugs a lot of the holes that need filling. Not an exciting signing but would be a solid choice. I'd be in favor of it.

I'm sure we would sign similar players if we gave the wages they do. Bet those mentioned are on more than the first 11 we put out today.

- Can be used in rotation (or as backup) to any younger AM we sign in the Summer 

Agree with all of this. Not a long term solution, but a good short term option that plugs a lot of the holes that need filling. Not an exciting signing but would be a solid choice. I'd be in favor of it.

Oh for something for the short term !!!!!!!!  - I am a bit tired of these 5 year projects, transformations, changing the ethos,  - Just buy someone who can trap and pass a ball for the next few months. If we start winning games the future will look after itself. This idea that we must be tripe before we can possibly come good is barmy.....

• Like 1

Oh for something for the short term !!!!!!!!  - I am a bit tired of these 5 year projects, transformations, changing the ethos,  - Just buy someone who can trap and pass a ball for the next few months. If we start winning games the future will look after itself. This idea that we must be tripe before we can possibly come good is barmy.....

I know it's difficult to see the point of a five year project when we're struggling so badly at the moment, but I do think it's important to have a balance of short term and long term solutions in the squad. I think MON's signings (and to an extent McLeish's as well) show the danger of signing nothing but short term fixes - then you have a squad full of aging has-beens on big wages with no sell-on value and no potential to improve.

The problem is the pendulum has swung much too far in the other direction and right now we seem to have a squad full of youngsters who have potential but aren't good enough to cut it right now. Balance needs to be redressed. Hoolahan would be a good start. I think all of our midfielders would improve with him alongside, much the same as Clark and Baker improve in defense when Vlaar is playing.

• Like 1

Â