Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

I believe we have bid 750k for WH (via the Norwich fan Mick Dennis at the Daily Express), which is very disturbing in regards to what kind of funds PL has to spend this window, but I also believe that Norwich are trying to deflect the light off the fact he has handed in a transfer request, via firstly the Telegraph then Birmingham Mail.

Edited by Avflife

I can confirm that we are 100% interested. However, it's not finalised so there's a chance it won't happen.

#iamrighteitherway

Are you ITK??

Hardly, how vague can you get? We could be interested in Messi and theres OBVIOUSLY a chance it won't happen. Christ.

I believe we have bid 750k for WH (via the Norwich fan Mick Dennis at the Daily Express), which is very disturbing in regards to what kind of funds PL has to spend this window, but I also believe that Norwich are trying to deflect the light off the fact he has handed in a transfer request, via firstly the Telegraph then Birmingham Mail.

I can see why people would think that, especially given the wider context of slashing the wage bill and not getting the funds we would have all liked to see last summer, etc.. On the other hand, I don't think Hoolahan is worth a whole lot more than 1m given his age and the fact that there's only 18 months left on his contract. 750k is a decent opening bid in this case.

I can see why people would think that, especially given the wider context of slashing the wage bill and not getting the funds we would have all liked to see last summer, etc.. On the other hand, I don't think Hoolahan is worth a whole lot more than 1m given his age and the fact that there's only 18 months left on his contract. 750k is a decent opening bid in this case.

Personally agree with you hied3ster, don't know what all the hype is about from the Norwich fans on Twitter and their unofficial forums regarding apparently how 'good' WH is meant to be. Would rather see Holtby or Sigurdsson, who I think are still realistic options for PL.

Edited by Avflife

Personally agree with you hied3ster, don't know what all the hype is about from the Norwich fans on Twitter and their unofficial forums regarding apparently how 'good' WH is meant to be. Would rather see Holtby or Sigurdsson, who I think are still realistic options for PL.

Well, when I talk about Hoolahan's worth, I mean relative to his age and the time remaining on his contract. 1 - 1.5m is a fair price for him for that reason. That's what he's worth to Norwich. I think he would end up being worth quite a bit more for us, in terms of goals he will help us create and score. I can see why Norwich fans would be upset, both about the possibility of losing him, and about him not getting any game time. I couldn't tell you why Hughton's dropped him, but hopefully their loss is our gain.

Would I prefer Holtby or Sigurdsson? You bet. Will we get them? I doubt it. Maybe one, on loan, depending on what sort of wages we'd have to pay. They do have a pretty big surplus of attacking mids at Spurs and God knows they can't all play. In addition to Hoolahan's creativity and passing ability, he also offers experience and leadership which we badly need, which is not something we'd get from either of the Spurs players, so that's another reason I'd be in favor of this signing.

It's not an exciting signing, I get that. He's not going to move merchandise, there won't be "Hoolahan" shirts flying off the shelves or anything. But he's a good player, an improvement on what we've got, and he'd be a solid choice.

I can confirm that we are 100% interested. However, it's not finalised so there's a chance it won't happen.

#iamrighteitherway

Are you ITK??

Hardly, how vague can you get? We could be interested in Messi and theres OBVIOUSLY a chance it won't happen. Christ.

JoeyYathink.gif

• Like 2

I believe we have bid 750k for WH (via the Norwich fan Mick Dennis at the Daily Express), which is very disturbing in regards to what kind of funds PL has to spend this window

Not sure how relevant it is to be honest.

If we had £20m to spend, would that mean we'd be bidding way more for Hoolahan just because we can?

I'd hope not.

• Like 1

This is a strange one. Norwich have a player on the wrong side of 30 who doesn't fit in with the current managers plan yet seem to not want to sell him purely because its Villa. Having this drag on isn't going to help the Norwich squad either. Seems like they are willing to shoot themselves in the foot purely out of spite. 

• Like 2

This is a strange one. Norwich have a player on the wrong side of 30 who doesn't fit in with the current managers plan yet seem to not want to sell him purely because its Villa. Having this drag on isn't going to help the Norwich squad either. Seems like they are willing to shoot themselves in the foot purely out of spite. 

Hoolahan would likely improve us somewhat so it's not that strange that they don't wan't their potential relegation/lower half rivals to get stronger while at the same time weaken their squad

• Like 1

Makes sense for Norwich to make it awkward for us.  For a number of reasons.

1. He's a popular player there, even if Hughton doesn't seem to rate him as much as Norwich fans do.

2. Even if he doesn't always make the starting XI, he still makes the squad.  Not many sides would weaken their squad at this time of year for an extra 750k

3. That offer of 750k is derisory. 

Though I accept on that last point, it is perhaps just an opening salvo from us and we'll naturally go higher.  If I was them, I'm not sure I'd even let him go for £3/4 million though.  His age might be a consideration, but injuries to current first teamers or the cost of replacing him would be a bigger one.  

Â