Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

HH, do we work on movement in training? What's the issue on match day? They're like 10 year olds

HH, if they do work on movement in training do they use footballs at the same time? In fact, can you confirm footballs are utilised in training at all? Thanks.

• Like 2

HH, do we work on movement in training? What's the issue on match day? They're like 10 year olds

HH, if they do work on movement in training do they use footballs at the same time? In fact, can you confirm footballs are utilised in training at all? Thanks.
Footballs are expensive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530204/Paul-Lambert-beginning-lose-Aston-Villa-fans-support.html

When Paul Lambert became the fourth permanent manager appointed by Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner, the Scot was handed an unparalleled mandate for success.

The former Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund had produced a lively, entertaining and relatively free-scoring team at Norwich City. After two seasons of struggle and strife, Villa supporters were crying out for the same.
What took place in Norfolk was supposed to be the claret and blueprint for his new employers.

Toss into the mix the fact that the Glaswegian was the first-choice of a large chunk of the fan-base and the fact that he had replaced the reviled Alex McLeish and the portents looked good.
Villa had in place a popular manager, an understanding and wealthy benefactor and a group of supporters who were prepared to give an untried set of players an even-chance. What could go wrong? Eighteen months down the line however and the patience of Villa supporters is being tested yet again. The cat-calls that spewed forth from all four sides of Villa Park following the Boxing Day defeat to Crystal Palace were widespread and loud.
In the past three years the fans have watched helplessly as Martin O’Neill’s relationship with Lerner disintegrated. Similarly, they could do nothing as Gerard Houllier spectacularly drove a wedge between himself and several of the club’s top players.
The furore which followed Alex McLeish’s appointment from Birmingham City provided a permanent backdrop of angst and a yoke around the Scot’s neck that he could never shake off.
Lambert’s arrival was supposed to be a panacea. A cure for all those ills.
Instead, the former Celtic midfielder has presided over the evisceration of a decent, if over-paid, squad.

He has also masterminded the heaviest league defeat in the club’s history at Chelsea – an eight-goal humiliation. Not to mention two chastening evenings at the hands of Bradford City, then in the fourth tier, with a showpiece Wembley final at stake.
Somehow, inspired by £8m striker Christian Benteke, Villa remained in the division last year. Several key matches went in the club’s favour. Was it really onwards and upwards? Last summer was crucial. Villa’s manager has brought in a succession of unknown players, who judging by recent performances, will remain so. To date, Aston Villa have won two matches at home this season, scoring just six goals.
The backing given to Lambert may have been unequivocal. But there is only so long that supporters can be swept along with tedious sound-bites. The evidence before them speaks more than a manager ever could.
Dwight Gayle’s injury-time winner sparked unsavoury scenes. And another no-show on Saturday afternoon against Swansea City is likely to be met with more vitriol.

Villa’s manager has joked in the past that if Brendan Rodgers was correct in saying that he needed three years to turn around the fortunes at Liverpool, how long would he need at Villa? After spending £40m re-shaping his squad during the past two summers, Lambert said: 'We’re one million miles away from where I want to be.
'I don’t want to be sitting here like this every time, talking to you like this.
'What I want to do…I’m a million miles from it.
'I can’t stop people voicing an opinion. They are entitled to voice an opinion. If they don’t get what they want, that’s what happens.
'I expect it. I know what it’s like. When I was a player, I lost my first three games at Celtic and people were saying: "Go back to Dortmund." That was 60,000 of them.' Lambert’s brief was a difficult one.

He was asked to reduce a crippling wage bill while reinventing Villa into a youthful and energetic team of promise.
He has been allowed to marginalise a whole host of high wage-earners. Players such as Stephen Ireland, Darren Bent, Shay Given and Alan Hutton have all fallen by the wayside.
And while Villa’s energy has been a hallmark of their play so far, it is not supplemented by any real quality.
They huff, they puff. If the fluke triumph over Manchester City is discounted, Villa have scored three times at home in eight matches. It is not good enough.
And Lerner’s absenteeism is now frowned upon. Used as evidence that the club’s owner doesn’t care.

The reality is we can hardly pass the bal, we don't move and we have no idea how to attack teams. When you add in we look poor defensively and the signings on the whole look poor no talk it's just not good enough,

Most managers talk about a long term project as they just want to give themselves more time!

Lambert out. 5th defeat in a row by the end of the day/

Sorry to be negative HH, but the young players are showing no signs of development, which is worrying......

It's not negative, it's an observation and it's where HH's explanation falls down - and it's only the second hurdle.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the stages of the plan, but when the second section is falling apart at the seams, what's left to build on?

Edited by Shaw_nuff
  • Like 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530204/Paul-Lambert-beginning-lose-Aston-Villa-fans-support.html

When Paul Lambert became the fourth permanent manager appointed by Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner, the Scot was handed an unparalleled mandate for success.

The former Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund had produced a lively, entertaining and relatively free-scoring team at Norwich City. After two seasons of struggle and strife, Villa supporters were crying out for the same.
What took place in Norfolk was supposed to be the claret and blueprint for his new employers.

Toss into the mix the fact that the Glaswegian was the first-choice of a large chunk of the fan-base and the fact that he had replaced the reviled Alex McLeish and the portents looked good.
Villa had in place a popular manager, an understanding and wealthy benefactor and a group of supporters who were prepared to give an untried set of players an even-chance. What could go wrong? Eighteen months down the line however and the patience of Villa supporters is being tested yet again. The cat-calls that spewed forth from all four sides of Villa Park following the Boxing Day defeat to Crystal Palace were widespread and loud.
In the past three years the fans have watched helplessly as Martin O’Neill’s relationship with Lerner disintegrated. Similarly, they could do nothing as Gerard Houllier spectacularly drove a wedge between himself and several of the club’s top players.
The furore which followed Alex McLeish’s appointment from Birmingham City provided a permanent backdrop of angst and a yoke around the Scot’s neck that he could never shake off.
Instead, the former Celtic midfielder has presided over the evisceration of a decent, if over-paid, squad.

He has also masterminded the heaviest league defeat in the club’s history at Chelsea – an eight-goal humiliation. Not to mention two chastening evenings at the hands of Bradford City, then in the fourth tier, with a showpiece Wembley final at stake.
Somehow, inspired by £8m striker Christian Benteke, Villa remained in the division last year. Several key matches went in the club’s favour. Was it really onwards and upwards? Last summer was crucial. Villa’s manager has brought in a succession of unknown players, who judging by recent performances, will remain so. To date, Aston Villa have won two matches at home this season, scoring just six goals.
The backing given to Lambert may have been unequivocal. But there is only so long that supporters can be swept along with tedious sound-bites. The evidence before them speaks more than a manager ever could.
Dwight Gayle’s injury-time winner sparked unsavoury scenes. And another no-show on Saturday afternoon against Swansea City is likely to be met with more vitriol.

Villa’s manager has joked in the past that if Brendan Rodgers was correct in saying that he needed three years to turn around the fortunes at Liverpool, how long would he need at Villa? After spending £40m re-shaping his squad during the past two summers, Lambert said: 'We’re one million miles away from where I want to be.
'I don’t want to be sitting here like this every time, talking to you like this.
'I can’t stop people voicing an opinion. They are entitled to voice an opinion. If they don’t get what they want, that’s what happens.
'I expect it. I know what it’s like. When I was a player, I lost my first three games at Celtic and people were saying: "Go back to Dortmund." That was 60,000 of them.' Lambert’s brief was a difficult one.

He was asked to reduce a crippling wage bill while reinventing Villa into a youthful and energetic team of promise.
He has been allowed to marginalise a whole host of high wage-earners. Players such as Stephen Ireland, Darren Bent, Shay Given and Alan Hutton have all fallen by the wayside.
And while Villa’s energy has been a hallmark of their play so far, it is not supplemented by any real quality.
They huff, they puff. If the fluke triumph over Manchester City is discounted, Villa have scored three times at home in eight matches. It is not good enough.
And Lerner’s absenteeism is now frowned upon. Used as evidence that the club’s owner doesn’t care.

The life of a journalist is pretty easy nowadays. All that they need to do is log in to a decent supporters forum like VT and they can construct a story that pretty accurately describes the mood.

• Like 1

Say if Paul Lambert ever did go and we ran out of many options... Would anyone like someone like Gianfranco Zola with maybe Ray Wilkins as his number 2?? He plays good attacking football, had no money at all at Watford and they scored like 95 goals last season and nearly losing out last day in play offs!! He is still young and obviously isn't a bad manager! I'm thinking that Rodgers failed at Reading & Watford in his first 2 jobs before Swansea... Wilkins is one of the best coaches in the business!! 

Ah, the usual guff from Moxley. Move on.

the plan was a five year project.

year one - strip away all the rubbish who were on big money. lower the overall wage bill. lower the age of the squad by bringing in younger players who could develop, get better and increase in value at the same time (instead of signing guys for big money who teams don't even want for free)

year two - finish off what was trying to achieve in year one. plus bring the younger players on. think the manager wanted a little more experience in there but that could still happen. And as much as he didn't think the team would do miles better the plan was to avoid the drama of a relegation battle.

year three - inject a little bit of additional quality. instead of having to buy five or six players then focus on one of two quality players. and remember the younger guys are now in their third season in the top flight and should be much better.

and so it continues.......

did you read the manager's quotes the other day about being miles away from where he wants to take the club?

Here is my simple take on the five year plan (pinching your Year 1 as a logical start):

Year 1 - strip away all the rubbish who were on big money. lower the overall wage bill. lower the age of the squad by bringing in younger players who could develop, get better and increase in value at the same time (instead of signing guys for big money who teams don't even want for free).

Year 2 - A noticeable improvement on Year 1

Year 3 - A noticeable improvement on Year 2

Year 4 - A noticeable improvement on Year 3

Year 5 - Achieve the goal.

Now if this were my plan and the owner of the company that I worked for was to do a mid Year 2 appraisal on my performance so far I think he might be a tad disgusted and I would be very very lucky if I weren't scouring the situations vacant columns!

• Like 1

“The club is miles from where I want it to be, an absolutely country mile, and you want to take it right through to the levels. To do that you need to keep building it and adding quality to it and adding at every turn,” he said. “I don’t want to be sitting like this every time [after a defeat]. If you want to fight it you fight it, I’m not going to run away from it.

“There’s always pressure even if you are on a winning run. In football now you get one or two games, the way football management is, it’s always the case. If you’ve lost two games, not won for two games, there’s a crisis there, it’s got more and more shorter. We’ve got to turn the home form around. There’s no magic formula. The lads are edgy at certain things but they have to overcome that and they can.” - Paul Lambert 

This is from the telegraph.

well if nothing else, he is aware of it.

I think he needs some help, not hinderance.

• Like 1

I can live with mid table mediocrity just as long as the football is decent to watch and god forbid we win home games on a semi regular basis.

This is not happening. All I want is a return to Feb- May when we were good to watch and had many enjoyable games. I really don't understand why things have declined so quickly and it should be no surprise now results have plummeted people want Lambert out as there is little positivity.

the plan was a five year project.

year one - strip away all the rubbish who were on big money. lower the overall wage bill. lower the age of the squad by bringing in younger players who could develop, get better and increase in value at the same time (instead of signing guys for big money who teams don't even want for free)

year two - finish off what was trying to achieve in year one. plus bring the younger players on. think the manager wanted a little more experience in there but that could still happen. And as much as he didn't think the team would do miles better the plan was to avoid the drama of a relegation battle.

year three - inject a little bit of additional quality. instead of having to buy five or six players then focus on one of two quality players. and remember the younger guys are now in their third season in the top flight and should be much better.

and so it continues.......

did you read the manager's quotes the other day about being miles away from where he wants to take the club?

Here is my simple take on the five year plan (pinching your Year 1 as a logical start):

Year 1 - strip away all the rubbish who were on big money. lower the overall wage bill. lower the age of the squad by bringing in younger players who could develop, get better and increase in value at the same time (instead of signing guys for big money who teams don't even want for free).

Year 2 - A noticeable improvement on Year 1

Year 3 - A noticeable improvement on Year 2

Year 4 - A noticeable improvement on Year 3

Year 5 - Achieve the goal.

Now if this were my plan and the owner of the company that I worked for was to do a mid Year 2 appraisal on my performance so far I think he might be a tad disgusted and I would be very very lucky if I weren't scouring the situations vacant columns!

It is difficult to disagree with what you are saying....but my gut feel, despite the disgust in the pit of my stomach watching them....I feel we must stay with it a little bit longer.

• Like 1

The reason I don't think Lambert will be sacked nor should he be is because the plan will remain the same whether Lambert is in charge or not. The new manager will be given little to work with and be expected to bring in youth on really low wages so all you can expect from the new manager is a better playing style and man management skills which to instill straight off the bat and get us playing better football with the same players is not going to be easy. Especially if we lack the creativity.

Just had it confirmed by PF, Lambert will remain in his position for the long term. They are loathed to sack another manager. #paingoeson

Expand

Excellant news.am glad we are trying to achieve a long term goal and not just swapping managers every couple of seasons  :)

Edited by Bunnski

And if we sack him, who do the clowns in charge bring in?  The grass isn't always greener on the other side and I don't trust Lerner and Faulkner with making a good appointment especially with our financial status.  Lambert got us out of the shit last year with more or less the same squad so at least he has a proven track record.

Howard Hodgson ‏@HodgsonHoward Protected Tweets5m

Just had it confirmed by PF, Lambert will remain in his position for the long term. They are loathed to sack another manager. #paingoeson

Expand

Excellant news.am glad we are trying to achieve a long term goal and not just swapping managers every couple of seasons  :)

And we are suppose to rely on this as ITK? Hmmmm BTW that is the son not the father.

Howard Hodgson ‏@HodgsonHoward Protected Tweets5m

Expand

Excellant news.am glad we are trying to achieve a long term goal and not just swapping managers every couple of seasons   :)

And we are suppose to rely on this as ITK? Hmmmm BTW that is the son not the father.

What's your issue with the crebility then? you don't think he spoke to PF or that PF would tell him?