What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I wouldn't say ham is that popular on a pizza over here, but it's definitely a common topping. Nobody would look at you funny for ordering it.

same as everything here, they use the cheapest option possible and it ends up being shit, the ham on a pizza is absolute garbage

my local drunk pizza place does a tropical pizza, bbq sauce, some sort of flavoured chicken, onions, sweetcorn and then pineapples, thats better than the Hawaiian one

Edited by villa4europe

The missus likes to come home with whatever was half price or less in Waitrose, and instructs me to make something with it.

Tonight was a couple of small veal steaks, salsify and broccoli.

Had to put on some latex gloves for the salsify (ooh, matron) because peeling it is the stickiest operation I've performed in a kitchen.  Parboiled, then roasted in butter, mustard, lime and honey, with oregano to finish.

Broccoli parboiled and refreshed, then sauteed with garlic and small red peppers.

Steaks flash fried, then braised in a sauce of onions, garlic, white wine, thyme, chilli,  cream.

And chips.

But half way through, she decided to take over the kitchen to prepare her lunch for tomorrow, creating utter chaos in her wake, food on the counters, food on the floor.  Darling, I can't work in these conditions.  But it worked out.

1 hour ago, peterms said:

The missus likes to come home with whatever was half price or less in Waitrose, and instructs me to make something with it.

Tonight was a couple of small veal steaks, salsify and broccoli.

Had to put on some latex gloves for the salsify (ooh, matron) because peeling it is the stickiest operation I've performed in a kitchen.  Parboiled, then roasted in butter, mustard, lime and honey, with oregano to finish.

Broccoli parboiled and refreshed, then sauteed with garlic and small red peppers.

Steaks flash fried, then braised in a sauce of onions, garlic, white wine, thyme, chilli,  cream.

And chips.

But half way through, she decided to take over the kitchen to prepare her lunch for tomorrow, creating utter chaos in her wake, food on the counters, food on the floor.  Darling, I can't work in these conditions.  But it worked out.

Never even heard of salsify, veal is very frowned upon here in UK, but fair play sounds like you chucked it together well.

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Never even heard of salsify, veal is very frowned upon here in UK, but fair play sounds like you chucked it together well.

Salsify apparently grows well in the UK including in winter, and was popular in Victorian times.  Becoming trendy now, it seems.  I'll try to grow some.

The veal was responsibly sourced, no torture in crates nonsense, seems about as ok as eating beef except the animal has a shorter life.  I'm ok with that, but I don't eat battery chicken or eggs, or farmed salmon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Veal in the UK is a by product of the dairy industry as it's from the male cows that obviously can't be used for milking. It's known as Rose Veal. As @peterms said, welfare is like any other cattle in UK (some probably better than others) and the diet is different to that of traditional Veal, which it gives it the meat the pink colour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We've tried one of those 'Gousto' recipe boxes this week. 

Looks pretty good and it's a good introduction for people who want to start cooking from scratch. 

Each meal comes with everything portioned out and the recipes are easy to follow. Decent quality ingredients too from what I've seen so far. 

It was a one off for us as the ongoing costs are a bit high and both me and the wife are half decent cooks anyway. 

Bit too much packaging as well, but if you're looking to get into cooking, it's a decent place to start 👍

Spatchcocked chicken, oil and crushed garlic rubbed under the skin, roasted on a bed of onions, sprinkled with breadcrumbs fried in olive oil with garlic, chili and almonds, with lemon zest, oregano and mint mixed in, with potato wedges oven baked with lemon juice and chili.  And a bit of salad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I did an oxtail casserole today, with creamy mash, leeks and broccoli - absolutely delicious! 

Last time I did that was in the wake of the BSE crisis.  Slow cooked for hours, came out smelling great, and the missus said "Actually, I'm not going to eat that".  And on reflection, neither did I.  What a waste.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

We've tried one of those 'Gousto' recipe boxes this week. 

Looks pretty good and it's a good introduction for people who want to start cooking from scratch. 

Each meal comes with everything portioned out and the recipes are easy to follow. Decent quality ingredients too from what I've seen so far. 

It was a one off for us as the ongoing costs are a bit high and both me and the wife are half decent cooks anyway. 

Bit too much packaging as well, but if you're looking to get into cooking, it's a decent place to start 👍

We did them for a couple of weeks as we had a couple of introductory offers.

They make some really nice meals and the meals are really quick to make.

We just kept all the recipes and now buy the same ingredients ourselves and still make them.

• Like 1

Spare a thought for those who are fed by profiteering "care" companies, and are powerless to do anything about it.  Imagine this shite, for the rest of what remains of your life.

I think I'd sooner have someone hold a pillow over my face.

• Sad 2

That's disgusting. Disgusting food and lacking in nutrition. I hope that's a one off, the chef was ill or the freezer broke or something else. I'd like to think it was a one off, because to think that people are fed that trash every day is depressing. 

4 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

That's disgusting. Disgusting food and lacking in nutrition. I hope that's a one off, the chef was ill or the freezer broke or something else. I'd like to think it was a one off, because to think that people are fed that trash every day is depressing. 

What it says to me is "What can we serve that is cheap, safe, can be bought in bulk and frozen, requires no skill to prepare and can be turned out by a child on work experience, and will therefore return the best profit in respect of what we pay versus what we charge".

There is no innocent explanation for this.  It's not a blunder, or a mishap, or a response to disaster.  It's what they do.

• Like 2

My mom worked in a nursing home in solihull for a few years at the end of her working life (she's retired now).

It was quite a good home. Expensive, but I visited a few times and it was beautifully decorated, in good condition, residents seemed happy enough. Apart from the usual depressing carehome/old people's home vibe I think it was of a pretty good standard.

But even there, the food was crap. My mom was always complaining about it. She had a catering background and actually gave a **** so it bothered her that they were served such shitty food. Tiny portions, cheap overcooked crap. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the above but it wasn't great.

My mom was activity co-ordinator so occasionally she'd do something like afternoon tea or some sort of baking thing or other activities that involved food and the comments were always about how good the food was compared to their usual meals. 
And that's not some sort of weird brag about my mom's cooking, it was just that they were getting actual food prepared by someone who has a vague idea of what they were doing. Rather than a cook just serving up 25 shitty chicken kievs and a plate of lumpy mash.

I dread to think what the food is like in the really basic care homes.

• Like 1

Â