What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Haven’t had it for a few years as I moved away from Oldbury but the Railway Inn mixed grill takeaway was always hard to beat for me. Sublime.

Trying to find something like that near to Kings Heath but failing. Unless you want trendy hipster crap on York Road then KH is a bit of an abyss for non pretentious food. 

The black country is where its at for desi mixers... West Brom being ground zero!

I can't think of anything near Kings Heath - Merry Maid in Balsall Heath and Copper Fox in Harbrone/Quinton probably closest otherwise its city centre for Keg n Grill or Hen n Chickens. 

23 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Where in Oz you located mate ? I have family in Perth and love the place !

I'm from Melbourne. Never been to Perth myself. It's quite a hike between the two.

My sister is national manager for a retail clothing store and spends a bit of time in Perth.

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2018 at 13:09, mottaloo said:

The Ivy ?? £400 !?!  Tut ! I give you red lion last sat night, four people, a tenth of the price !

FB_IMG_1534680366073.jpg

This the red lion in West Brom? Trying to decide between going there and the red cow in Smethwick. 

• Like 1

On 17/08/2018 at 21:17, Xela said:

Bit late but went to the Ivy last Saturday. Very impressed with it! Food was bang on and service was great.

The Ivy (the chain, don't know about the original in London) is seriously overpriced.  I've eaten there twice, paying half price as I was eating with a staff member and that's a perk they offer, and I thought what we paid was about right.

6 hours ago, V01 said:

This the red lion in West Brom? Trying to decide between going there and the red cow in Smethwick. 

Yes that's the one. My two sikh mates say the red cow is right up there but the red lion has better parking, if that's a "thing" you consider.

Prob been to red lion about 6 times and never been disappointed. I would avoid it when yanited or Liverpool are on sky as it's full of glory hunting fans then, otherwise have a blast and don't forget the pics ?

Edited by mottaloo

2 hours ago, bickster said:

5CBA8C2F-52A5-4AAB-B786-08481F9AFA74.jpeg

Where's the beans in a pot ?

Sausages look a bit amaemic but otherwise  (and apart from some white pudding) that looks fookin mint !

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Yes that's the one. My two sikh mates say the red cow is right up there but the red lion has better parking, if that's a "thing" you consider.

Prob been to red lion about 6 times and never been disappointed. I would avoid it when yanited or Liverpool are on sky as it's full of glory hunting fans then, otherwise have a blast and don't forget the pics ?

Never done the Red Lion but the Red Cow is good... they do the Fat Cow grill which is massive!

• Like 1

Despite the sizable Indian population in Massachusetts for the last 50 years, I can't say that I've ever had really good Indian food here. Sort of a dead zone up here in Maine too. Plenty of exceptional Asian restaurants here, just not Indian. 

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

No offense but this looks like it's been sitting there for a week!

Well he did post it 38 hours before you commented, so it’s bound to have gone cold and congealed quite a bit. TBH I’m surprised it’s still there, I thought Bicks would have scoffed it all.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Despite the sizable Indian population in Massachusetts for the last 50 years, I can't say that I've ever had really good Indian food here. Sort of a dead zone up here in Maine too. Plenty of exceptional Asian restaurants here, just not Indian. 

I knew an American chef (from Florida, also worked in New York) who used "Indian" to refer to Thai cooking, which really threw me.  She claimed it was a common usage in her experience, I've no idea if that's true.

We often use Indian to refer loosely to food in the style of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, but her usage seemed weird.

Just now, peterms said:

I knew an American chef (from Florida, also worked in New York) who used "Indian" to refer to Thai cooking, which really threw me.  She claimed it was a common usage in her experience, I've no idea if that's true.

We often use Indian to refer loosely to food in the style of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, but her usage seemed weird.

Might that be because of the difference in American's use of "Asian".

To them Asian usually refers to what we might call oriental. And maybe everything else gets blurred into "Indian".

Whereas I feel like "Asian" in the UK usually refers more to Indian and it's surrounding areas, and Chinese/Thai/Japanese etc get referred to individually.

Â