What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

On 31/03/2019 at 20:29, V01 said:

rgVeG2br.jpg

Large mixed grill at the New Talbot in Black Lake. We had one each and it was a mistake, ended up bringing half of it home. 

Chicken tikka, methi tikka, chicken wings, lamb chops, sheesh kebabs and fish pakora. Also had 2 cheese and garlic naan and shared some Masala chips and poppadoms. £35.50. Very impressed. 

Great effort there ! Well impressed 👏

• 3 weeks later...

Good event last night, last of a series on the theme "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants", promoting reducing meat consumption but not going veggie.

Chickpea fritters, pesto and salad, burger made from half beef and half lentils, blue cheese sauce, brioche bun and slaw, glass of Norfolk whisky which oddly tasted just like a peaty Islay malt, and a glass of 43 year old blended whisky.  15 quid all in, including a talk from an organic grower and a presentation from the whisky buff.

The meat came from a male cow from an ethical dairy that most commercial dairies would have killed at birth, sent to an organic meat producer for a year before slaughter, so both reducing the quantity of meat used (1.5kg for about 18 or 20 of us), and using an animal that otherwise would just have been disposed of without being used.

burger.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Plain porridge for breakfast. Get it in ya.

A luxury variation.

It's hard to beat the rough texture of steel-cut oats, with their slight resistance against the teeth. The rest of the components here offer pure, lazy-morning comfort, although you can wake yourself up properly by adding a little zing of lime. If you are well organised and think ahead, boil the oats with the water for a minute, chill and place in the fridge overnight. This will save you 10-15 minutes of cooking time the next morning.

Serves 4

800ml water
170g steel-cut oats (Irish oats)
A pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1½ tbsp maple syrup
1 banana, peeled and sliced
1 small mango, peeled and diced
3 tbsp coconut milk
1 lime, halved (optional)

1. Bring the water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Add the oats and cook for 25-30 minutes (or 10-15 minutes if you've prepared the oats the night before), stirring occasionally and adding a little water if needed, until tender but still with a clear bite.
2. Off the heat, stir in the salt, vanilla and maple syrup.
3. Transfer to serving bowls and top with the banana, mango and coconut milk. Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top if you like.

• Thanks 1

currently eating cold schnitzel followed by black forest gateaux

communion yesterday, incredible spread after, one of the family friends is a butcher, started with some kind of soup with orzo in it and marrow bone meatballs, then they put on slow cooked beef, gurkensalat (cucumbers in a dill sauce) some egg potato salad thing, potato gratin, pork in a mushroom sauce (not far off stroganoff) schnitzel, chips, some chicken in a curry sauce, spätzle, followed by a cake session where there were 12 I think home made cakes, I made a Russian cheesecake, then on the night the pretzels bread cheese and home made wild boar cured meat which was amazing

free beer all day too, all in all a good day!

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

currently eating cold schnitzel followed by black forest gateaux

communion yesterday, incredible spread after, one of the family friends is a butcher, started with some kind of soup with orzo in it and marrow bone meatballs, then they put on slow cooked beef, gurkensalat (cucumbers in a dill sauce) some egg potato salad thing, potato gratin, pork in a mushroom sauce (not far off stroganoff) schnitzel, chips, some chicken in a curry sauce, spätzle, followed by a cake session where there were 12 I think home made cakes, I made a Russian cheesecake, then on the night the pretzels bread cheese and home made wild boar cured meat which was amazing

free beer all day too, all in all a good day!

When I was a kid, communion meant a small disc of pressed cardboardy stuff and a tiny sip of watery wine substitute.  Which you had to kneel down for.

I feel cheated.

• Like 1

Made a great spanish tortilla style omelette thing yesterday. That's not it's official title.

Fried some leeks, spinach and garlic in a deep frying pan. Pan was well lubricated (I used fry-lite)

Whisked 12 eggs with a couple of table spoons of cottage cheese and some basil.

Seasoned and then poured into the pan. Stirred gently and briefly just to mix in the stuff in the pan.

Pan stays on the hob for 7 or 8 minutes until it began to set around the outside.

Sprinkled chopped tomato and onion on top plus a couple of handfuls of grated cheddar.

Bunged the pan in the oven and cooked on about 200 degrees for 15 minutes until it was golden brown on top.

Took out, sliced into quarters and served with salad. Easily would have served 4 people.

It wasn't quite a spanish tortilla, but it was a similar thick omelette style... almost pizza.

It was delicious. And would have been even more delicious if you swapped the cottage cheese with more handfuls of cheddar, but I was trying to be relatively healthy.

An experiment.  Made some pasta with nettles.  A bit silly, as it was my first time making any pasta, probably best to use a reliable recipe a few times and then branch out, but anyway.  Cut down on the eggs to make up for all the nettles added.

Made ravioli with butternut squash, sage, ricotta, tossed in butter, sage and garlic.

Worked quite well, but had to adjust the dough by rolling in flour as it was breaking up when I rolled it out - too wet with all the nettles.  When I rolled it thin, it felt like the filling was about to break through, so I rolled it a bit thicker, but the thin stuff actually held together during cooking, so I should have been braver with it.

Will do again, but probably with more eggs and a bit less nettles, would probably give a better texture.

IMG_20190430_194345361.jpg

I think the pie factory* used to do a mixed grill on a shovel, the bastard thing wobbled as you were trying to cut everything

*great place, shame they closed 2 of the locations, food was awesome and it was fairly cheap

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Beans in a pot. Come on, @Xela ...this was you, right ? 🤔

FB_IMG_1556699621286.jpg

It was mate

That's a mini bucket though, not a pot ;)

Where on earth is that? I hope it was a clean shovel :P

• Haha 1

No idea. I just saw the pic on the real ale tw*ts facebook page, which is full of grumpy, lager hating blokes of a certain age and they weren't too complimentary about it !

Now.....if it had a desi grill on it.....😍

On 01/05/2019 at 16:23, villa4europe said:

used to do a mixed grill on a shovel, the bastard thing wobbled as you were trying to cut everything 

*great place, shame they closed 2 of the locations

Karma.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Celebration meal tonight.  Son brought some top quality steaks, had them cooked on a ridged grill, with home made chips, bearnaise sauce, assorted salad leaves picked this morning, and the missus supplied the champagne.

A perfect day.

Â