What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

3 hours ago, peterms said:

I knew an American chef (from Florida, also worked in New York) who used "Indian" to refer to Thai cooking, which really threw me.  She claimed it was a common usage in her experience, I've no idea if that's true.

We often use Indian to refer loosely to food in the style of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, but her usage seemed weird.

Must be a Florida thing?

I went to an Indian Restaurant in California once (sometime in the early 90's), it was actually worse than the "British Indian" Restaurant's we were used to at the time. Neither resembled authentic Indian food

It's getting better but I still need to be pissed to go to most Indian Restaurants.

We have some great ones in Liverpool now like Mowgli (one in Brum too now) and Yukti, even a couple of great ones in the 'burbs, like Saffron and Da Gurkha (Nepalese strictly speaking), I'll eat in those but the standard 12 pints of lager gaff still predominates

I love going out for an Indian. I could never have them as a takeaway until we found this takeaway only Indian, and it's superb. It's much better going to a restaurant to have one though. We have 9 Indian restaurants in Rugeley, so there is plenty to choice from. 

i like a takeaway indian, means i can happily order 3/4 mains and some sides and share a bit of everything rather than sticking to 1 dish, i'll usually go chicken tikka masala as standard, something weird off the specials menu and then a hot one whereas if im in a restaurant i'll never go hot, it microwaves very well the next day too

the problem with it i find is that the fat sits on the top, chopped and changed places to try and find one that doesnt have that problem but its rare

overheard someone in the supermarket raving about these so got a bag - 

IMG_7278.jpg

honestly...not for me, they're smaller than i thought they would be, almost tasted like they should be a cereal and eaten with milk

Kraft haven't half done some brand expansion of cadburys, seem to have new lines all the time

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

overheard someone in the supermarket raving about these so got a bag - 

IMG_7278.jpg

honestly...not for me, they're smaller than i thought they would be, almost tasted like they should be a cereal and eaten with milk

Kraft haven't half done some brand expansion of cadburys, seem to have new lines all the time

They look very similar to "Krave". Which is a cereal

• 2 weeks later...

bought a pack of shredded beef from morrisons, mixed it with half a pack of philadelphia, some diced jalapenos, garlic paste, salt, pepper, turmeric (not needed, im trying to squeeze it in to a lot of stuff) whisked it up, put it in to cannelloni tubes, dolmeo lasagne sauce on top followed by the white sauce, baked 30 mins, a ton of cheese on top grilled until brown

?

if i had time and done it properly i would have made some shredded chicken and then a ragu and bechamel

• 2 weeks later...

I'm eating Corra Linn cheese.  Like Cheddar meets Parmesan.

Falsely impounded by South Lanarkshire Council with the blessing of Food Standards Scotland after a pathetically inadequate investigation into a food poisoning case which killed a little girl.

The incident almost bankrupted a small artisan producer, now found to be blameless.

The cheese, impounded for two years, has only improved with age.  The producer won't recoup the cost of storage and lost sales, but many of us are buying and eating tnis great cheese.

Ask your local supplier to get some in.  You won't regret it.

Tried out a new(ish) desi grill place - Covered Wagon in Moseley (Yardley Wood Road)

Very nice indeed. Portions not the biggest but quality was on point

(not my pic)

mixed-grill.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Tried out a new(ish) desi grill place - Covered Wagon in Moseley (Yardley Wood Road)

Very nice indeed. Portions not the biggest but quality was on point

(not my pic)

mixed-grill.jpg

Is it trying to be a cut above the west brom/smethwick desi pubs ? I mean, £15 for that..... I'm sure it tasted great but it aint exactly mountainous.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Is it trying to be a cut above the west brom/smethwick desi pubs ? I mean, £15 for that..... I'm sure it tasted great but it aint exactly mountainous.

I don't think that is the £15 one as it doesn't have any pakoras on it. It might be the £13 one but I agree, you get more meat in Smethwick/Oldbury/West Brom!

• Thanks 1

Tried to find @StefanAVFC post about polish version of jaffa cakes Edel brand I think. Well I finally tracked them down and had the raspberry flavour.

Quality of the chocolate and filling superb but the sponge.....well, a bit dry and bitty (cue @Xelaand his David walliams pic !)....just not as moist as jaffa sponge, in my opinion anyway.

Thanks for the tip though. Will deffo try again perhaps a diff flavour

27 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Tried to find @StefanAVFC post about polish version of jaffa cakes Edel brand I think. Well I finally tracked them down and had the raspberry flavour.

Quality of the chocolate and filling superb but the sponge.....well, a bit dry and bitty (cue @Xelaand his David walliams pic !)....just not as moist as jaffa sponge, in my opinion anyway.

Thanks for the tip though. Will deffo try again perhaps a diff flavour

Wrong brand!

8195E1TqYwL._SX355_.jpg

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Wrong brand!

8195E1TqYwL._SX355_.jpg

Ah ok. The packaging is quite similar. Bought it at Tesco.  Looks like I'll have to pop over to erdington where'll there should be more choice 

• 2 weeks later...

This has to be the strongest, stinkiest, dogsbreath cheddar I have ever tried ! Usually found at farmer's markets however the bloke who sold it at Sutton Coldfield market hasn't shown up for a few years and my cravings were that bad that i had to pop down to the actual farm where it's made, in earlswood because all the so called stockists in my area just don't order it in now. 

Not cheap but if you like your cheese to punch you in the face then this is the stuff for you. Sulphuric aroma means putting it in a tupperware box and even then it still smells. A crazily sharp, acidic taste to it will have you wanting more...and more ?

20181004_025559.jpg

Edited by mottaloo

for anyone interested if you sign up to coast2coast they are doing a "pay what you think its worth" on all food tomorrow 5-7pm, you can pay 1p i think, says the server can revoke it but i would suggest a good tip to them would mean they wont care, i'd also imagine it could be packed

and if you are on about polish food, they sell this in kiddy morrisons

51gPV-QEiUL.jpg

it is the absolute bollocks, sainsburys have a milk chocolate strawberry flavour which isnt very good, the polish supermarket by me has loads of flavours like peach, egg nog, grapefruit, the dark chocolate ones are miles better

reading up on them they used to be owned by cadburys but as part of the sale to kraft the EU forced them to sell it to someone else to prevent a monopoly , now owned by koreans

Â