What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

and if you are on about polish food, they sell this in kiddy morrisons

51gPV-QEiUL.jpg

it is the absolute bollocks, sainsburys have a milk chocolate strawberry flavour which isnt very good, the polish supermarket by me has loads of flavours like peach, egg nog, grapefruit, the dark chocolate ones are miles better

reading up on them they used to be owned by cadburys but as part of the sale to kraft the EU forced them to sell it to someone else to prevent a monopoly , now owned by koreans

Yeah they have a million flavours here. Do like Wedel chocolate, it's like the Cadbury's of Poland but they have full on chocolate shops with Wedel hot chocolate, desserts etc

• 2 weeks later...

Spicy noodles, golden veg rice, scrambled egg and a gloop of sweet chilli sauce all mixed up together. Woke me up and settled my head just right after a few beers last night. 

Found a great little Chinese place, tiny, just enough room for us alongside the Chinese students, no website, cash only, BYOB but they only have pint glasses so our white wine looked a little misplaced.

Fungus with chilli, spicy noodles, rice, fish in chilli oil, spicy green beans.  We could barely finish it.  £34 for the pair of us.  She returned the tip, looking a little embarrassed,  saying that as a Chinese restaurant it's not customary to accept tips.

And it's in walking distance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2018 at 14:37, StefanAVFC said:

Wrong brand!

8195E1TqYwL._SX355_.jpg

Finally got hold of these from a local polish shop. Served by two pretty, if unsmiling young ladies, I bought six quid's worth of them in various flavours. Raspberry & cherry very nice but the orange ones were a cut above even mcvities ! Very moreish indeed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Finally got hold of these from a local polish shop. Served by two pretty, if unsmiling young ladies, I bought six quid's worth of them in various flavours. Raspberry & cherry very nice but the orange ones were a cut above even mcvities ! Very moreish indeed.

Glad you enjoyed them. We always get them on the biscuit tray from the cafe when we host customers and they usually go sharpish!

So I experimented with some fusion at the weekend. I had a big pork shoulder so wanted to do slow cooked pulled pork (I have a recipe now that's the shit) but wasn't sure on what to do with it after.

So I made a lasagne with the pulled pork instead of beef mince. Was amazing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, peterms said:

Possibly the best Italian in Embra.  There's a few to choose from 

Hmmm talk of Edinburgh and Italian has reminded me of walking up Leith Walk every morning to Murray House Students Union to start work hungover but having called in at Valvona and Crolla for my daily supplies to get me through ten hours of what rich Americans would call theatre (or dance - even worse)

I can still smell V&C now when I think about it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xann said:

Far enough down to pass Storries the baker?

It used to be ridicously cheap. Pigged out when we were kids.

Now I want a Scotch pie.

Doesn't ring a bell, we kind of lived at the back of a Post Office sorting depot iirc, late 80's

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Doesn't ring a bell, we kind of lived at the back of a Post Office sorting depot iirc, late 80's

ls.jpg.64d4a418c43b463fd687a93f78371a39.jpg

Was there a lot early to mid 80s.

Leith wasn't the most salubrious part of town then, it was all warehouses, urban decay and pubs that made the one in 'Trainspotting' look appealing.

They served us though :D

3 hours ago, Xann said:

ls.jpg.64d4a418c43b463fd687a93f78371a39.jpg

Was there a lot early to mid 80s.

Leith wasn't the most salubrious part of town then, it was all warehouses, urban decay and pubs that made the one in 'Trainspotting' look appealing.

They served us though :D

The one in trainspotting was on Leith Walk or just off it iirc. We went in for a nose. Leith Walk was an adventure every day back then and we only lived there for the month of the Festival :mrgreen:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Xann said:

Far enough down to pass Storries the baker?

It used to be ridicously cheap. Pigged out when we were kids.

Now I want a Scotch pie.

Don't know it, but sounds like it may be similar to the one on Morrison Street, whose opening hours make it popular with clubbers looking for a pie.

image.png.1fefd315de1afbf83e621864772bd06d.png

• Haha 1

Jager schnitzel, a really bad one :(

im in a hotel near london bridge for the week, did a tonkatsu restaurant last night and german place tonight, neither have been that great to be honest (and both been north of £20) got a pide place lined up and maybe lobos, anyone know anywhere decent? Borough market by and large shuts by the time i come to eat

I had the schnitzel because i spent last weekend in germany for the missus dads birthday, they live properly in the middle of nowhere about 30 mins from the luxembourg border, little village, i had mince, leek and cheese soup which was really good, some homemade wild boar sausage which was mind blowing (its hunting season, her brother shoots wild boar every saturday for the next 3 months, had wild boar bbq last time i was there, **** me it was good) and then like a pork cutlet with melted cheese sauce over the top served with spatzle, german pasta which is surprisingly very good

Not sure ive said this before but i also ate some proper knoppers (not the shit dry as a bone square things they sell here, they have a bar thats the bollocks) and some ritter sport, rum and raisin and the marzipan flavour which are both good

Also continued my conquering of the german bakery industry, hard to remember what most of it is called and some like rosenschneke is basically a pain au raisin, nussstriezel might be the greatest bakery product in the world ever, made a cake over there with her mom, things got weird when she poured a pint of oil in but normal apparently, i think it would be a chocolate hazelnut bundt kuchen, kaffee and kuchen mid afternoon is alive and well over there 

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Jager schnitzel, a really bad one :(

im in a hotel near london bridge for the week, did a tonkatsu restaurant last night and german place tonight, neither have been that great to be honest (and both been north of £20) got a pide place lined up and maybe lobos, anyone know anywhere decent? Borough market by and large shuts by the time i come to eat

I've been gone from there too long to make recommendations, but a search for "jay rayner bermondsey london bridge" gives a few suggestions that sound good to me.  :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah i walked past that earlier i know where you mean

Ducked in there when Borough was manic over Summer.

Liked the beer.

Went at the weekend. Most of the local food market traders to me take Monday off, don't know if it's the same there?

17 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ducked in there when Borough was manic over Summer.

Liked the beer.

Went at the weekend. Most of the local food market traders to me take Monday off, don't know if it's the same there?

i walked past at about 3pm and there were 6/7 people kicking around outside, didnt go in

i did walk down towards elephant and castle and saw a surprising number of Latino and i think either Colombian or Ecuadorian places

Â