What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I did contemplate posting that in the vegetarian/vegan thread, but thought better of it. 

Only if it was served to you on a shovel or a paving slab. That would please the hipster, man-bun wearing VTers amongst us 😉

• Haha 2

As it’s Chinese New Year this week, i’m preparing tonight’s feast of prawn on toast and wontons for a starter. 

Char Sui pork with bean sprouts for main with steamed pork buns too. 

Have been marinating the pork all night (anticipating Kenneth Williams pic from Xela!) 

One for @mottaloo

2 large indian mixed grills, 3 curries, 6 naan and a couple of pilau rices, between 5 of us. At the Keg & Grill in Brum. Very nice. Portions not as big as black country desi pubs but a great option for the city centre. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Have been marinating the pork all night (anticipating Kenneth Williams pic from Xela!) 

7656-3013.gif

Trying to mix it up a bit 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

One for @mottaloo

2 large indian mixed grills, 3 curries, 6 naan and a couple of pilau rices, between 5 of us. At the Keg & Grill in Brum. Very nice. Portions not as big as black country desi pubs but a great option for the city centre. 

Yes ! That's my kind of update in this thread !! I trust you duly smashed it with no need for a doggy bag ?

Toilet roll in the fridge now though 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Yes ! That's my kind of update in this thread !! I trust you duly smashed it with no need for a doggy bag ?

Toilet roll in the fridge now though 😂

It was lovely and my first proper drink since mid December at the German Market. 

Food soaked up most of the booze so didn't feel too bad this morning. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any particular slow cooker tips for a stew? I've not used mind yet, but tomorrow it's being called into action, and the beef is going to need to last 10 hours at least really, so does anyone have favoured cuts of beef they'd use? I'm wondering whether to drown it in red wine as well, but I've read a couple of conflicting tips on volume of liquid in there. I probably should have done a dummy run of this at the weekend or earlier, but never mind!

On 13/02/2019 at 16:08, Rodders said:

Anyone got any particular slow cooker tips for a stew? I've not used mind yet, but tomorrow it's being called into action, and the beef is going to need to last 10 hours at least really, so does anyone have favoured cuts of beef they'd use? I'm wondering whether to drown it in red wine as well, but I've read a couple of conflicting tips on volume of liquid in there. I probably should have done a dummy run of this at the weekend or earlier, but never mind!

I don't use a slow cooker but I do cook slow-cooking dishes.  Cheaper cuts will be best (not mince though).  The fat and connective tissue make these cuts unattractive for steaks, but they are full of flavour and gradually break down to give you a rich dish with far more flavour than eg fillet steak.

This is a quick guide.

Stretch meat a little further by choosing a budget cut. We show you which cuts of pork, beef and lamb will offer value for money...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, peterms said:

I don't use a slow cooker but I do cook slow-cooking dishes.  Cheaper cuts will be best (not mince though).  The fat and connective tissue make these cuts unattractive for steaks, but they are full of flavour and gradually break down to give you a rich dish with far more flavour than eg fillet steak.

This is a quick guide.

Love oxtail, shin, skirt and did ox cheek the other day too. All cheap cuts that make great slow cooked meals (personal fave is a slow cooked beef rendang!) 

• Like 1

back from 3 days in gdansk, i already knew about wedel so gave that a good go but discovered these - 

JUTRB140G3-1.jpg

awesome things

they had a couple of things id never seen before either like a ginger flavour twix and a black and white lion bar and probably the most shocking thing polish lebkuchen is better than german!

576bbd7dda25f.png

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the most shocking thing polish lebkuchen is better than german!

It's like sayng Polish dog shit is better than German. Lubkuchen never fail to disappoint. They should be right up there for me, ginger, & dark chocolate is usually an instant win but they always taste three years past their best before date

you can get some real bad cheap stuff, at least you said the dark chocolate ones, the milk are shite, i cant do the icing ones thats just too much sugar, i like the herzen which in germany is usually an apricot filling but the polish was mixed fruit, the girlfriends mom made me some for xmas and a stollen loaf (which her whole family hates) it was incredible

coffee and cake mid afternoon is a big thing for them

Brother came back from a stay in the states last month. Brought me back some pop tarts to try.

Possibly the most underwhelming sweet I have ever tried. I don't understand why they'd be a thing.

In other news. I'm heading off to basketball and will tuck in to a meal from KFC on the way.

Can't go past a zinger box for $11.

Messed up a bit tonight.  Posted here so you can avoid my mistakes.

The dish is smoked haddock, served on a rosti with spinach and poached egg.  Sounds odd, works a treat, the missus has done it for years, a Livebait recipe.

I'd never made rosti, or maybe once, can't think why.  Thought I would vary the recipe (grated potatoes and parsnips, chervil, oil to bind, shaped into patties and fried).  So I did potatoes, sweet potatoes, celeriac and parsley, chilli, as that's what we had available.

But the patties, which had to be fried in oil and finished in the oven, weren't setting.  They broke up into a mess in the pan, leaving me trying to reshape them while cooking them.  Not a good plan.  Also the heat was too low, and as they broke up, they absorbed more oil.

I think I used too few potatoes.  There's nothing to bind the mix apart from oil, and starch from the potatoes, and I had reduced the starch, so it wasn't binding.   I had to gather it all up in one big part cooked mess and cook it like a tortilla, and even then it didn't do well,  I had to finish in a hot oven which burnt the edges, which had to be cut off. Tasted ok, but too oily, and looked a bit of a mess.

But the base recipe is good and I recommend it.  So:

Make some rosti from a reliable recipe, avoiding my mistakes.

Cook some smoked haddock for 10 or 15 minutes, lightly oiled, in a hot oven, maybe 220.  Tear the skin off the fish first - place skin side up, cut a little from the tail end between skin and flesh, grab the skin and peel it all off, using the knife if necessary to separate flesh and skin as you go.

Cook washed spinach in a dry pan to release the water, drain, return to the pan with a little garlic and oil and salt, saute briefly.

Poach a couple of eggs and serve with soft yolk.

I also served with shredded kalettes (some kind of cross of kale and sprouts) with softened yellow pepper and mild chilli pepper.

Rosti on the plate first, then fish on top,  then spinach on top of that (the recipe reverses the last two but I prefer it this way), then egg on top.  Any extras served alongside.

Eveything but the eggs was picked up reduced price,  so it was about £3 a head.

20190219_200922.thumb.jpg.8f61ebd74535c813e51a4712a332b504.jpg

• Like 2

Â