What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My German wife's mind was blown by them, here they're £2 each if you're lucky, she can't understand the race to the bottom on bakery goods

Got through some when we were last there 

Crazy isn't it. 10p each!

I try not to buy them otherwise I wouldn't fit in my car after a few weeks. 

I can limit myself based on the flavours and availability but id never seen the salted caramel ones before so they had to happen 

When I worked with cookies from memory finest cookies cost 11p each to make (and are then sold at £1.50 for 4?) and normal cookies were made for 7p each (5 for £1?)

God knows how cheap it is to make those 5 donuts, it can't be good 

Quality Street Salted Caramel Truffles 

Had a box of them at Xmas . Slowly been getting through them which indicates I’m not massive on them, but they are a weird one in terms of how nice they are .

Edited by Rugeley Villa

46 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Watchu talkin' 'bout Willis?! It's so good!

:)

The rules of pizza

The uneven nature of pizza quality throughout Italy, of course, led to new Food Rules. Purists, like the famous pizzeria Da Michele in Naples consider there to be only two true pizzas – the Marinara and the Margherita and that is all they serve. The Marinara has a topping of tomato, oregano, garlic, extra virgin olive oil and usually basil. The Margherita, is simply tomato sauce, mozzarella di bufala, fresh basil, and extra virgin olive oil. In Florence, Enzo, the pizzaiolo at Osteria Cafe Italiano serves three – Marinara, Margherita and Napoli (with capers and anchovies).

Those are the 3 that aren't crimes. Anything else is for sick puppies and deviants. 😋

• 3 weeks later...

One VTer mentioned a book called the curry guy bible and me being me jumped on to Amazon and got a copy.

I'd made curries, usually cheating by using patak's paste or trying to do it from scratch adding spices separately.....i usually got the same result.....bland and just not restaurant quality.

So....I'd heard about the curry "base sauce" and despite it being a relative ball ache to make....including ingredients like carrot and cabbage (!), i duly did as the book told me and batch prepped a few portions and froze them.

I've just made bombay potatoes where the base sauce is only of quite a few other ingredients and i have to declare it was the best I've ever eaten ! The base sauce really is the key here !

So, thank you fellow VTer, whomever you are !

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Valentines Dinner:

Steak (rare to medium), chips and mushrooms.

Valentines Pudding:

homemade caramel ice cream cheesecake! 

stuffed now but could fit in a rum and ginger beer or two later!

Beast with two backs later?

Morning, can anyone recommend a Chinese cooking book similar to the The Curry Guy/Bible?

Want to try more Chinese cooking and have seen “Chinese Takeaway in 5” but not sure if it’s any good?

Does anyone have this book or can recommend another for a beginner please.

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Morning, can anyone recommend a Chinese cooking book similar to the The Curry Guy/Bible?

Want to try more Chinese cooking and have seen “Chinese Takeaway in 5” but not sure if it’s any good?

Does anyone have this book or can recommend another for a beginner please.

Chinese Takeaway Cookbook by Kwoklyn Wan 

very good indeed and available on Amazon! 

• Thanks 1

On 04/02/2021 at 16:41, mottaloo said:

One VTer mentioned a book called the curry guy bible and me being me jumped on to Amazon and got a copy.

I'd made curries, usually cheating by using patak's paste or trying to do it from scratch adding spices separately.....i usually got the same result.....bland and just not restaurant quality.

So....I'd heard about the curry "base sauce" and despite it being a relative ball ache to make....including ingredients like carrot and cabbage (!), i duly did as the book told me and batch prepped a few portions and froze them.

I've just made bombay potatoes where the base sauce is only of quite a few other ingredients and i have to declare it was the best I've ever eaten ! The base sauce really is the key here !

So, thank you fellow VTer, whomever you are !

Cheers, have ordered a copy!

• Like 1

Â