What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

On 25/03/2021 at 18:30, tonyh29 said:

I've not tried the zinger flavour but the KFC flavour were just roast chicken with an extra herb on them, and I was somewhat underwhelmed

If the Zinger ones are less spicy that the Spicy Chicken WIng flavour, then they are pointless

Had a delivery from Mad O'Rourkes pie factory in Tipton. 6 decent sized pies for £24, delivered by dpd. Took about 4 days to arrive. 

Very nice and meaty - 2 minted lamb, 2 steak and stilton and 2 chicken curry. The pastry was good quality too.

At £4 a pie it aint cheap but as an occasional treat it was worth it. 

You can place orders via their Facebook messenger page

• Like 2

Got a char siu pulled pork on the go

pork, chilli salt, pepper, then in a big pot with chicken stock, star anise cinnamon stick 5 spice rice wine soy sauce garlic ginger some hoi sin and some honey, 5 hours at 120

unfortunately got no bao so I’ll eat it with curly fries

• Like 2

I think I’ve finally nailed it with the home made naan bread.

self raising flour

yogurt

oil

salt n pepper

garlic

ground coriander 

dried herbs

fresh coriander

The trick has been, once you’ve worked out your own personal ratio of ingredients, is to give it a final dust of flour just before it goes in the pan.

Not a scientific measurement, but roughly 200 times better than anything you’ll buy in a supermarket.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think I’ve finally nailed it with the home made naan bread.

self raising flour

yogurt

oil

salt n pepper

garlic

ground coriander 

dried herbs

fresh coriander

The trick has been, once you’ve worked out your own personal ratio of ingredients, is to give it a final dust of flour just before it goes in the pan.

Not a scientific measurement, but roughly 200 times better than anything you’ll buy in a supermarket.

There was a great recipe that someone posted on Jamie Oliver’s forums that Im pretty sure I know about because of someone else posting on here, but I think it’s long lost now.

The above sounds about right from memory though.

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

but roughly 200 times better than anything you’ll buy in a supermarket

I've given up on supermarket naan bread, they are all shit. The only time I have naan now is from a decent take-away or in a restaurant, neither of which happens very often or at all right now

I may have to attempt making them myself.

In a related note, my daughter has got very good at making pita breads

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've given up on supermarket naan bread, they are all shit. The only time I have naan now is from a decent take-away or in a restaurant, neither of which happens very often or at all right now

I may have to attempt making them myself.

In a related note, my daughter has got very good at making pita breads

We don’t mind the Tesco fresh naan breads which are found in the fridge section along with their take away curry dishes. 

they’re the closest we’ve found to the real deal and cost £1 for 2. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Yesterday was an experimental pulled pork. Instead of a traditional bbq rub and sauce, I used Chinese five spice, star anise, spring onion and ginger for the rub and stock and then made a tangy Chinese style sauce (sugar, five spice, soy sauce, brown sauce and ketchup) to smother the pork once it was shredded. 

it was awesome, served with shredded spring onion and slices of fresh red chilli.

plenty left over so may try and make some steamed bao buns and use the pulled pork as the filling. 

Today it’s leg of lamb with an anchovy, garlic and thyme rub and all the trimmings! 

Yeah it's awesome

But seriously get some char siu or even better some hoi sin sauce for the tangy Chinese sauce! Hoi sin is incredible stuff 

And they seeming swear by shaoxing rice wine but mirin or even sherry is the same thing, replaces the sugar 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah it's awesome

But seriously get some char siu or even better some hoi sin sauce for the tangy Chinese sauce! Hoi sin is incredible stuff 

And they seeming swear by shaoxing rice wine but mirin or even sherry is the same thing, replaces the sugar 

Sauce lover here and that is my favourite, simple old crispy duck, cucumber, spring onion, pancakes and too much hoi sin, would happiliy live on that.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Sauce lover here and that is my favourite, simple old crispy duck, cucumber, spring onion, pancakes and too much hoi sin, would happiliy live on that.

Used some hoi sin paste in the week to make dirty rice

Mince meat and broccoli fried in some garlic, then the paste then chuck the rice in 

Quick and easy 

• Like 2

Turkey roast dinner at my folks today. Roasties, carrots, swede mash, lots of roasted parsnips, cauliflower cheese and stuffing. 

Had to go to a looser notch on my belt afterwards. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Turkey roast dinner at my folks today. Roasties, carrots, swede mash, lots of roasted parsnips, cauliflower cheese and stuffing

Had to go to a looser notch on my belt afterwards. 

Too easy :

2F19372700000578-3347854-image-m-13_1449367338299.jpg

• Like 1

My greatest lockdown discovery/achievement has been the art of cooking pizzas in the frying pan/under the grill.  Theory behind it is you're essentially recreating the environment of a pizza oven, so you stretch out the dough, slap it on a frying pan on medium heat, top it whilst it's in the pan then after you've started to get that brown hue/dark flecks on the underside, stick the frying pan under your pre-heated grill on it's fiercest setting for about 2 minutes, then take it out and gently rotate the pizza 180 degrees and stick it back under for another 30 seconds.  The cheese winds up poaching in the pizza sauce which seems to be how you get that pizzeria look/taste, I swear the end result is as good as anything I could get from any of my local pizzerias.  I haven't bought a frozen pizza or ordered one from a takeout in months.

Following the success of this endeavour, I tried my hand at a calzone yesterday using the same pan/grill technique and the result was pretty much the same:

May be an image of pizza and indoor

Haven't gone as far as making my own dough yet, have just been using the Northern Dough co. frozen two-packs from the supermarket for ease of use (and to be honest they're nice enough that I'm not sure I'll bother looking into making dough).  Did try my hand at making pizza sauce with fresh san marzanos and the results were alright, but the best sauce I've found again is a pre-made one, the Mutti brand tins (strictly the "classic" one, not the "aromatica" one with the added herbs, they taint the flavour too much out of the can).  Tried various Galbani mozzarellas with decent results each time for both the moist balls (ooh-err etc.) and the drier blocks, as an extra flourish I've been grating some scamorza (smoked mozzarella) to finish and that's been really nice too.

So yeah, highly recommended if you fancy giving it a go.  Relatively quick and easy to throw together too, once you've got the hang of stretching and slapping the dough out.  Can't wait to get one of those outdoor pizza ovens and go full-pizza-rocket polisher.

• Like 3

I had some leftover pasta but no cheese. So I made a little cold sauce of peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and chili flakes. Tossed with the pasta and toasted sesame seeds. Oh yeah.

Â