What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

I made the only sensible and edible part of thanksgiving - green bean casserole 

Made a roux (which I'm terrible at) bit of Worcestershire sauce, s&p, touch of paprika, garlic, mushrooms and beans in, cook a little, in to an oven dish, panko and parmesan on top and roast for 20 mins 

Did go whole hog about 5 years ago and did the homemade stuffing, sweet potato mash with marshmallows the lot and found it way too much trouble 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Nice madras @Follyfoot

I’m currently waiting for my missus to hurry the **** up home so I can get stuck into this, chicken Goan curry with spinach. And a paneer version for the lad who’s a veggie. 

374D9B4F-CD20-4841-AF1F-C158D737D2FA.jpeg

Stunning 🤩 

On 06/12/2020 at 10:26, StefanAVFC said:

We really should rename this thread to 'what Indian food are you eatin' there?' :D

It does appear that Saturday night is very much curry night  for the masses 

• 2 weeks later...

Szechuan green beans:

Pan fried the beans and rough chopped onions in piping hot canola oil

Prepared the sauce:

Soy sauce

Oyster sauce

Sesame oil

Sugar

Corn starch

Chili flakes

Minced garlic

Added the sauce to the beans and onions

Topped with toasted sesame seeds

I ate the entire pan standing at the stove

• Like 2

On 20/12/2020 at 01:29, maqroll said:

Szechuan green beans:

Spent 3 weeks travelling round China years ago on a guided tour, I would say that was probably the dish that I ate the most, it was really popular 

Szechuan chilli hot pot was probably the maddest thing I ate there, szechuan peppercorns have a weird numbing quality, wish I knew how to cook more with them 

Mississippi hot pot

1.2kg piece of beef, salt pepper, seared, then throw in some apple cider vinegar, mayo, paprika and dill, splash or Worcestershire sauce, beef stock, pepperoncinis and some of their pickling juice, good chunk of butter, cooked at 120 for 5 hours

Was good, the acidity of the pickling juices gave it a tanginess that set it apart from a lot of other dishes, no real spice to it just a nice mellow heat, beef was perfect, pulled apart perfectly, half way through was expecting it to be a bit fatty given all the butter but it was ok

The mayo is weird, the culinary masters that the yanks are the original recipe is based on a branded instant gravy packet and a packet of ranch dressing so the mayo was a recommended alternative, you could probably do without it or go to something like sour cream but that's even more acidity, I'm sure you could put more green herbs in it than just dill too 

One downer on it was the wife insisted it was served with rice, would have gone better with some good crusty bread or creamy mash potato 

• Like 2

I just had a burger for lunch and it was yum.

Thin cut turkey, then a basic Tesco no meat burger, then Stilton melted on the top, then a couple of splashes of piri piri.

Bloody hell the urge to just go and make another one and smash through that one as well!

10 / 10

Will be banging again soon.

• Like 3

New book for Christmas, The Curry Bible. So spent yesterday procuring a fantastic array of spices and whipped up a nice turkey jalfrezi last night. There’s some brilliant recipes in it, street food, classic curries and British Indian restaurant dishes. I’ve made up 3 litres of base sauce and a tub of special spice mix, ready to try a plethora of dishes. 

My wife will be pleased that her sense of smell still hasn’t returned :)

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

New book for Christmas, The Curry Bible. So spent yesterday procuring a fantastic array of spices and whipped up a nice turkey jalfrezi last night. There’s some brilliant recipes in it, street food, classic curries and British Indian restaurant dishes. I’ve made up 3 litres of base sauce and a tub of special spice mix, ready to try a plethora of dishes. 

My wife will be pleased that her sense of smell still hasn’t returned :)

That must mean a lot 😉

• Like 1

Â