What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

30 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Is that the system here, my bad. Never got into the habit of phone's out at meals.

Well to be fair unless it's an amazingly good meal, an Indian mixed grill (see @Xelafor details !) or an impossibly hot girl who's just started at your office etc., then by all means keep your phone away.

It's just that your food sounded worthy of a visual here !

Just remember this rule for next time :)

2 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

What's my first meal/snack going to be when I land in Brum tonight?

Thinking a chippy tea but I'm open to suggestions. 

I know I'm biased but :

indian-mixed-grill-S220R4.jpg

• Like 1

Steak and cheese Subway footlong last night, very tasty.

From here on in it's Christmas goodies. Cheese is already open, wine and vodka cracked, obligatory Ferrero Rocher sampled ;)

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Having an indian mixed grill tonight for the works christmas do in moseley. 

I make my own tandoori chicken, but I just recently decided to coat it in golden breadcrumbs...tastes **** amazing.

4 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

What's my first meal/snack going to be when I land in Brum tonight?

Thinking a chippy tea but I'm open to suggestions. 

Chippy tea is a winner when I get back, convince the missus to go fish and chips leaving me to get a kebab, she won't finish hers meaning I get the leftovers

I have also of course not told her that the best chips are the little crispy ones left at the bottom

Is it possible to read Alan Bennett without hearing his voice in your head?  Not for me.

But this was good.

...I have no particular memories of wartime food, and even if I had, a working-class family in Leeds wouldn’t have been dining out on much except fish and chips in the cafés of department stores like Hitchens (fish and chips, tea and bread and butter 1/9), with Schofields slightly higher up the scale. There was Harry Ramsden’s at Guiseley, where we would often have just chips when we went hiking across the fields to Burley in Wharfedale. What I don’t recall is any longing for food (or for elaborate food) that coloured the everyday. On the contrary, what sticks in the mind is how tasty some very ordinary meals were: the first new potatoes, for instance, so delicious one would save them up till last when having one’s dinner (i.e. lunch). The first strawberries similarly, gooseberries, plums – all bought (and queued for) at the Co-op on Armley Ridge Road. Even the nowadays much reviled Spam and corned beef seemed quite tasty to me then, more so than the stewing steak we had regularly, as Dad was a butcher at Armley Lodge Road Co-op. He was either very scrupulous or quite timid, so we never had more than the ration, the meat always overcooked and never the grander cuts. The first proper steak I had was in the army in Cambridge when I was 18 and which shocked me as it was rare – blood never having figured on the Bennett dining table even in its relatively refined form of black pudding. Some food we did consider too lowly to eat, tripe for instance, which was a favourite of my grandma, and chitterlings from the same ‘uggery-buggery pie shop’ down Tong Road in Wortley...

A bacon/Stelvio cheese/caramelized sweet onion/sauteed mushroom/modified steak sauce sandwich on grilled sourdough.

I used some locally made brown sauce, added soy sauce, garlic powder and Habanero sauce.

**** A

• 2 weeks later...

Mussels and chips.  Slight variation on moules mariniėre.

Peel and cut the potatoes (Maris Piper, whites or other floury ones) soak in a couple of changes of cold water in a bowl, stirring with your hand to release as much starch as possible.  Leave soaking in fresh cold water.

Buy live mussels.  Prepare the mussels (veggies, look away now).  Rip off the beards with your thumbnail or a knife, rinse the mussels under cold water, set aside.  If any are broken, discard them.  If any are open and don't close when you handle them, set aside separately for a few minutes - they may just be dopey if you kept them in the fridge.  On returning to them, if they still don't close when you handle them, discard them - they may be dead, and you won't know how long ago they died.

Finely chop a shallot (this is for 2 people, scale up accordingly), thinly slice two or three cloves of garlic, chop a birds eye chili with seeds and membrane removed, soften all of them gently in butter in a big pan with a close-fitting lid.  When soft, take off the heat and let cool.  Add a little salt (the mussel juice released when the shells open will be salty, so don't overdo it), and pepper.  When the pan is cool, place the mussels in it, and add a glass of white wine.

Warm some bowls in a cool oven.  Big bowl each for the mussels, smaller one each for the chips.

Precook the chips, deep fry at 130 until soft, testing with a knife.  They are done when the knife meets no resistance.  Remove from oil and set aside.  Turn the oil up to 190.

Cook the mussels.  Have some chopped parsley and cream ready.  Put the lid on the pan, place on burner on maximum heat, do not remove the lid to check how they are doing.  Should take about 5 mins, but watch for steam coming from under the lid, which tells you you've reached the right heat.  The shells will be forced open by the steam pressure, and the mussels will be cooked.

While they are cooking, finish the chips by lowering into the hot oil at 190, shake so they don't stick together.  When done, about 2 mins but go by colour, drain and put in a bowl lined with kitchen paper, drizzle with sea salt, shaking them to distribute the salt.

While the chips are draining, serve the mussels into the warmed dishes with a slotted spoon, the bigger the better, you want to move quickly now.  Put the pan with the juices back on maximum heat, add a bit of cream, maybe a couple of tablespoons, and the chopped parsley.  Stir well.  Once the cream has been absorbed, pour it over the mussels.

I serve it with mayo and harissa for the chips, and a big bowl for the discarded shells.  Also spoons to get the sauce, though tonight madam was drinking it from the bowl, dirty cow.

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2020 at 20:41, peterms said:

Mussels and chips.  Slight variation on moules mariniėre.

Peel and cut the potatoes (Maris Piper, whites or other floury ones) soak in a couple of changes of cold water in a bowl, stirring with your hand to release as much starch as possible.  Leave soaking in fresh cold water.

Buy live mussels.  Prepare the mussels (veggies, look away now).  Rip off the beards with your thumbnail or a knife, rinse the mussels under cold water, set aside.  If any are broken, discard them.  If any are open and don't close when you handle them, set aside separately for a few minutes - they may just be dopey if you kept them in the fridge.  On returning to them, if they still don't close when you handle them, discard them - they may be dead, and you won't know how long ago they died.

Finely chop a shallot (this is for 2 people, scale up accordingly), thinly slice two or three cloves of garlic, chop a birds eye chili with seeds and membrane removed, soften all of them gently in butter in a big pan with a close-fitting lid.  When soft, take off the heat and let cool.  Add a little salt (the mussel juice released when the shells open will be salty, so don't overdo it), and pepper.  When the pan is cool, place the mussels in it, and add a glass of white wine.

Warm some bowls in a cool oven.  Big bowl each for the mussels, smaller one each for the chips.

Precook the chips, deep fry at 130 until soft, testing with a knife.  They are done when the knife meets no resistance.  Remove from oil and set aside.  Turn the oil up to 190.

Cook the mussels.  Have some chopped parsley and cream ready.  Put the lid on the pan, place on burner on maximum heat, do not remove the lid to check how they are doing.  Should take about 5 mins, but watch for steam coming from under the lid, which tells you you've reached the right heat.  The shells will be forced open by the steam pressure, and the mussels will be cooked.

While they are cooking, finish the chips by lowering into the hot oil at 190, shake so they don't stick together.  When done, about 2 mins but go by colour, drain and put in a bowl lined with kitchen paper, drizzle with sea salt, shaking them to distribute the salt.

While the chips are draining, serve the mussels into the warmed dishes with a slotted spoon, the bigger the better, you want to move quickly now.  Put the pan with the juices back on maximum heat, add a bit of cream, maybe a couple of tablespoons, and the chopped parsley.  Stir well.  Once the cream has been absorbed, pour it over the mussels.

I serve it with mayo and harissa for the chips, and a big bowl for the discarded shells.  Also spoons to get the sauce, though tonight madam was drinking it from the bowl, dirty cow.

Ever visited Eastbourne?

Went to a place called Belgian Cafe there few years ago that did loads of different fantastic pots of mussels.

Almost gave myself gout working through the menu.

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Ever visited Eastbourne?

Went to a place called Belgian Cafe there few years ago that did loads of different fantastic pots of mussels.

Almost gave myself gout working through the menu.

No, never been.  But any Belgian place doing mussels is worth a try.  Belgium is great at mussels and chips, beer, and chocolate in particular.  Lots more too, I'm sure.

• Like 1

Â