What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

On 12/12/2019 at 00:53, maqroll said:

I'm adding a "British Butty" to our menu but I've never made one.

I'm going to be using a fresh sourdough bread for it, bacon, butter. Should I also use Worcestershire sauce?

I feel like I need to jazz it up from the basic bread/butter/bacon thing.

Thoughts?

Although sourdough is great bread, and a bacon sandwich with Worcester sauce (and fried mushrooms) is a thing of wonder, I wouldn't do it in a commercial setting.  The texture of sourdough means that fat, butter (if you use it, I'm in the "no" camp) and especially Worcester sauce, will fall through the holes.  Big mess, all over the customers.

I would go with a closer-textured bread like granary.

Or else do the sourdough thing, with loads of napkins and washing facilities.

2 hours ago, peterms said:

Although sourdough is great bread, and a bacon sandwich with Worcester sauce (and fried mushrooms) is a thing of wonder, I wouldn't do it in a commercial setting.  The texture of sourdough means that fat, butter (if you use it, I'm in the "no" camp) and especially Worcester sauce, will fall through the holes.  Big mess, all over the customers.

I would go with a closer-textured bread like granary.

Or else do the sourdough thing, with loads of napkins and washing facilities.

Ohh, I didn't know it has mushrooms...

I'm using a locally made brown sauce that is thicker than W'shire. 

I'm grilling the sourdough, plopping the bacon on, then drizzling melted butter all over the bacon. Then drizzling sauce over that. In a little sandwich basket with potato chips.

Mushrooms would be excellent.

Edited by maqroll

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Ohh, I didn't know it has mushrooms...

I'm using a locally made brown sauce that is thicker than W'shire. 

I'm grilling the sourdough, plopping the bacon on, then drizzling melted butter all over the bacon. Then drizzling sauce over that. In a little sandwich basket with potato chips.

Mushrooms would be excellent.

Obviously cook what you like, but grilled or toasted bread is not authentic.  That's like making an American hot dog with toasted bagels. Soft, fresh bread, good bacon, optional butter, optional brown sauce or ketchup (catsup) or mustard. Fried egg or mushrooms as an add on. Strong tea. Sorted!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 00:53, maqroll said:

I'm adding a "British Butty" to our menu but I've never made one.

I'm going to be using a fresh sourdough bread for it, bacon, butter. Should I also use Worcestershire sauce?

I feel like I need to jazz it up from the basic bread/butter/bacon thing.

Thoughts?

my thought. Choose the cheapest most generic medium sliced pan loaf pre-sliced bread, room temp salted proper butter (used sparingly) and max two layers of  streaky bacon (cooked til just starting to crisp up). Brown or ketchup as the condiment choice (cant dictate these things, we live in a democracy). 

Personally I ditch the condiment and just have a soft fried egg on my plate to dip into. love a dippy egg 

There is something special about crusty white bread, and bacon, the more bacon the better. Red sauce maybe. 

But if going for a treat, crusty white bread, 2 rashers of bacon, chicken breast (pan fried no oil) and then another 2 rashers of bacon top. 

• Like 1

My favorite is granary bread, sliced thick, with loads of worcester sauce, no butter (pah!), smoked back bacon, grilled, sometimes with either mushrooms quickly fried in extra virgin olive oil, or else fried egg also in EVOO.  Sometimes I will turn the egg over, briefly, to reduce the leakage while also leaving it still moist in the yolk.  And strong coffee.  Tea is an abomination.

• Like 1

Did a buffet for the Greens, about 100 people expected, fewer showed up due to post-election depression.  Had some help prepping.  Mostly vegan because, well, Greens.

Goats cheese tarts with spiced onion, falafel, dolmades, Greek mushrooms, potato salad, hummus, squash and sweet potato dip with green salsa, feta and red pepper dip, butterbean mash with muharamma, tabbouleh, crushed courgettes, green beans in tomato sauce, root veg salad, apple and celeriac salad, foccaccia, pitta bread, flatbread with za'ataar, quince aioli, harissa, tahini lemon sauce, pickles. 

Bit knackered after.

53 minutes ago, peterms said:

Did a buffet for the Greens, about 100 people expected, fewer showed up due to post-election depression.  Had some help prepping.  Mostly vegan because, well, Greens.

Goats cheese tarts with spiced onion, falafel, dolmades, Greek mushrooms, potato salad, hummus, squash and sweet potato dip with green salsa, feta and red pepper dip, butterbean mash with muharamma, tabbouleh, crushed courgettes, green beans in tomato sauce, root veg salad, apple and celeriac salad, foccaccia, pitta bread, flatbread with za'ataar, quince aioli, harissa, tahini lemon sauce, pickles. 

Bit knackered after.

That actually sounds wonderful! I’ve been quite into my veggie food recently, ever since my son turned veggie three years ago we cook at least three or four veg meals a week. I’ve discovered a whole host of tasty food. 

On 16/12/2019 at 21:11, mikeyp102 said:

There is something special about crusty white bread, and bacon, the more bacon the better. Red sauce maybe. 

But if going for a treat, crusty white bread, 2 rashers of bacon, chicken breast (pan fried no oil) and then another 2 rashers of bacon top. 

I’ve taken to adding Siracha sauce to my bacon sarnies recently. Adds a really nice garlic chilli flavour. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

That actually sounds wonderful! I’ve been quite into my veggie food recently, ever since my son turned veggie three years ago we cook at least three or four veg meals a week. I’ve discovered a whole host of tasty food. 

Veggie/vegan food is great.  Wouldn't ever recommend it as a complete diet, though.

Just now, It's Your Round said:

I’ve taken to adding Siracha sauce to my bacon sarnies recently. Adds a really nice garlic chilli flavour. 

Sriracha mixed with yogurt is a very simple, tasty sauce.  Takes 30 secs to make.  Ottolenghi.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Just had a fried chicken burger with curly chips for breakfast from one of the best cafe's in Melbourne. Ginger Ninja to wash it down.

....and ??....And ?!?!?!?

Look dude, you know the drill :

pics or GTFO ;)

• Thanks 1

Â