What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

Made a mess of some Vietnamese spring rolls.

The rice paper has to be soaked in hot water before use, and it turns glutinous.  That's good, as I was trialling something to make for a load of vegans and so couldn't use egg to bind things.  The glutinous paper stickes really well.

But if you let them touch while in the wok, before they have formed a crust, they will stick together,  and when you try to separate them, you break them and let the contents become exposed to the cooking oil, which is exactly what the wrap is designed to avoid.

Oh well.  Learning point.  Will try again.

Have retired hurt, while madam cooks dinner.

• Like 1

Anyway.  To consign my disaster to the dustbin of dementia-infused memories of meals best forgotten: something different.

Hake tempura, ponzu sauce.

Skin the hake, cut into small pieces (I suggest no bigger than half a thumb).  Bigger risks breaking up.

Batter is one egg, 220 gm plain flour, 500gm sparkling water.  I halved the quantities except the egg, was ok.

Dip hake in batter, fry at 180 for a couple of minutes, drain on kitchen paper.

Sauce is a bit of sugar, 1 tbsp mirin, 1 tbsp rice vinegar,  4 or 5x soy sauce, some acid like lemon or lime or yuzu, and perhaps some dashi stock.

Don't crowd them when frying.  They should not touch.

• Like 2

Hit new heights this afternoon, you can keep your pan seared scallops and your saffron infused duck breast risotto. For today, I had, instant noodles cooked in Heinz chicken soup. With the packet of powder added in. Boom.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Are you a chef? I always see your posts in here and wouldn’t even know where to start on what you do.

Am definitely not a chef.  Just a normal guy, and you and others can do what I do.  It sounds harder than it is, really.  There are also loads of videos on youtube about all this. 

I worked in catering for a year, decades ago,  but that was humping equipment not cooking.  It maybe gave me an appreciation of the skill of preparing food, but didn't leave me better equipped to cook.  I learned that later, by myself.  Unlike most European countries,  it wasn't part of the heritage.

Cooking is one of those base skills you really want your kids to know, like lighting fires and midwifery and making gunpowder.  A post-apocalyptic skill.

• Like 4

On 02/12/2019 at 19:37, peterms said:

Made a mess of some Vietnamese spring rolls.

The rice paper has to be soaked in hot water before use, and it turns glutinous.  That's good, as I was trialling something to make for a load of vegans and so couldn't use egg to bind things.  The glutinous paper stickes really well.

If you're cooking for vegans, I'd suggest summer rolls instead of spring rolls.

db5161df913e4064d54c276b26c177e3.jpg

If the setting fits, let people make their own. Couple of dipping sauces and you're away.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2019 at 11:54, ml1dch said:

If the setting fits, let people make their own. Couple of dipping sauces and you're away.

Nice idea, but it's a buffet for about a hundred, so anything that slows down the process would be a problem.  I'll do something else instead, keep things a bit simpler.

I'm adding a "British Butty" to our menu but I've never made one.

I'm going to be using a fresh sourdough bread for it, bacon, butter. Should I also use Worcestershire sauce?

I feel like I need to jazz it up from the basic bread/butter/bacon thing.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm adding a "British Butty" to our menu but I've never made one.

I'm going to be using a fresh sourdough bread for it, bacon, butter. Should I also use Worcestershire sauce?

I feel like I need to jazz it up from the basic bread/butter/bacon thing.

Thoughts?

Can you get HP sauce, or failing that tomato sauce/ ketchup, or failing that, hot mustard?

or to add to the basics, bacon and fried egg in there. Go well.

offer the butter as a choice! not on your nelly for me

definitely needs something wet, I change my sauce depending on my mood, egg is a good suggestion, so would be proper tomato of some style but then if you use fresh you're half way down the BLT route

bacon black pudding and tinned toms is my weapon of choice, maybe with hash browns thrown in if its a bad day

• Like 1

How many F****-c*****-w****** times do we have to go through this?!

No butter on sandwiches which contain more grease than the butter itself! 

Hot sandwiches are generally (few exceptions, hello fish finger sarnie) exempt from butter, unless you like being fat and dying early! 

Something like this would be good though;

Image result for breakfast butty van menu

Edited by lapal_fan
Oops, hello swear filter :S
  • Like 2

Â