What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

Not actually eating this tonight but I am cooking it today for my tea Monday and Tuesday. The missus is dieting and I can’t be arsed but I’m sick of eating something that cooks with a ding so I’m going to start the week with two nights of this

E49BB632-C0CB-461A-917D-2D539A3BFE7C.png

• Like 1

Yeah Sundays the day for me where I've got time for cooking, if that means a 5/6 hour slow and low pulled pork then that's really the only day I can do it, great meal too

Living in Germany coleslaw has surprised me, they do a lot of variants of it but the vast majority like fleisch salat or farmer salat are shite, the proper coleslaw as we know it I can only get from lidl and its called bbq coleslaw and they put green bell pepper in it and its the absolute bollocks, I thought it would be everywhere and it's not

• Like 1

Made Bhel Puri.  Although I made three different chutnies to season it (chili, coriander and mint, date and tamarind), madam added mango chutney from a jar because none of mine were sweet enough for her.

I am crushed.

10 hours ago, Kingman said:

Hour in the gym, 30 mins in sauna - Relaxing with scrambled egg, beans and smoked salmon finished of with chocolate brownie protein drink

That’s exactly what I fear from the afterlife if it turns out there is a god and he really is very much against masturbation.

• Haha 1

My wife is making some great food at the moment, Jambalaya, Pastitsio, chicken vindaloo. I say great. It looks great. I am not having it because I surpassed all weight gain expectations over Christmas and am dieting. 

Seafood platter: lobster, crab, calamari, prawns, tuna, swordfish and para fish. 

It’s come with a tonne of rice, salad and chips. £30 all in with 8 drinks, bargain! 

That’s the best part of being on the coast, fresh seafood every day 😍

BF768681-3723-4F0D-AACB-6256988BC308.jpeg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's way too much hassle for me 

I don't mind sea food, love prawns, but I'm not shelling anything 

I have to admit, I’m a bit fed up of shelling prawns now. I’d prefer them to be ready cleaned and deep fried tbh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's way too much hassle for me 

I don't mind sea food, love prawns, but I'm not shelling anything 

Yep.

Don't eat it anymore, but I used to love prawns, lobster, crab etc. But it would piss me off in a restaurant when you got served unshelled prawns. 

I get that it looks nicer, but I don't want to spend half my meal peeling **** prawns. Especially when they were in a paella or something so it made a **** mess too.

• Like 1

Working in Madrid, turned down a chance to be wined and dined and headed to mcdonalds

Signature burger with a carbonara sauce, wedges with cheese and bacon sauce, 6 nuggets and a beer

Going somewhere you know like the back of your hand and having something completely different makes me happy

Will follow this up with an hour long slow walk around a supermarket 

• Like 1

So tonight I did choose the wine and dine option, we went out for some food at 11.45pm

Spanish way obviously all just stuck in the middle and help yourself, starter was bread, tomatoes served with red onion and tuna in a tonne of oil, some thinly sliced Spanish ham which was incredible, then some chips with chilli's, then some grilled octopus with potatoes, Ive tried octopus maybe 4 times before and hated it, rubbery and just not nice, this was stunning, melt in your mouth lots of flavour from the grill, then just a **** off huge piece of steak cut in to pieces enough to serve 8 people 

All cooked to perfection, beer flowing (managed to stay off the wine) finished at 1.30am

I have had 2 Spanish finger buffet lunches served to me in the office last 2 days, both absolutely stunning but not a clue what the things were

• Like 1

Veg lasagne, using things that were reduced price, getting old, or might have been thrown away, supplemented with some store cupboard ingredients.  Quantities and ingredients based on what I had available rather than being a strict recipe.  You can vary the ingredients as you wish, but keep the proportion of butter, flour, milk and possibly cheese for the cheese sauce the same as given here.  Probably less fiddly in practice than it looks written down.

I had some cheap spring onions, kale and mushrooms, all needing used, some courgettes past their best,  and some Parmesan rinds which some people throw away.  The rest was store cupboard stuff.

Put the Parmesan rinds through a heavy duty food processor to grind finely, unless you have a strong arm and lots of time to grind this really hard bit of the chesse.  Set aside.

For 4 people:

Soften three fat spring onions and some garlic in extra virgin olive oil,  add 2 courgettes chopped into pieces about the size of halved pound coins.  Chop some kale (I had about 300gm at a guess), add to the pan, add a cup of veg stock to get it all to cook down, salt and pepper. 

In a separate pan, soften a chopped red onion and 3 or 4 fat cloves of garlic in olive oil.  Add 400gm sliced mushrooms, soften.  Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a chopped chipotle (I keep a jar of chipotles in adobe sauce in the fridge, really useful), smoked paprika, salt and pepper, a chopped red pepper, a tin of drained butter beans.

With both sauces, cook them down until fairly dry, don't want them giving off lots of water in the oven.

Make a cheese sauce.  Make a roux with 40gm of butter softened gently in a saucepan, add 40gm plain flour and mix in well, add salt, pepper, a little mustard powder or mustard from a jar, a pinch of chilli powder.  Add 400gm milk, stir well, simmer gently while stirring until it thickens and doesn't taste of flour, add 100gm grated cheddar.

Assemble the lasagne.  Put the mushroom etc sauce on the bottom of an oven dish, layer lasagne sheets over, put the courgette sauce on that, drizzle a bit of the cheese sauce on that, maybe a fifth of the total, add another layer of lasagne, put the rest of the cheese sauce on that, and cover with grated Parmesan.

I made it to that point before going out for the day, so we could just turn the oven on when we got back.  If you don't put Parmesan or something else on top of the cheese sauce, it will quickly form a skin, which won't be great.  If you dont have or don't like Parmesan, other grated cheese would be fine.

Cook for about 45-60 mins on 150, starting from a cold oven and cold ingredients if you made it in advance like I did, or maybe 30-45 mins if you have a hot oven and are cooking it immediately after assembling it.

20200119_201642.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â